Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
moongaze
America's heartland

Default any chess players?

What site are you rocking with? Do you play any variants? Whats your favorite time frame. play sometimes on lichess and chess.com. just started playing king of the hill. Will be trying atomic next. favorite is 10l0 and 2l0

Lichess has a 24 hour tournament coming up in less than an hour

https://lichess.org/tournament/winter17
moongaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #2
Nash
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: any chess players?

chess and ish
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
nathanjizzle
#Trump4Treason

digital chess is the worst. the charm about chess is that you can sit face to face with your opponent, have a coffee or some tea, enjoy conversation while you strategize and exercise your mind.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #4
moongaze
America's heartland

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
digital chess is the worst. the charm about chess is that you can sit face to face with your opponent, have a coffee or some tea, enjoy conversation while you strategize and exercise your mind.

I've known a few people that feel that way. I've got a little social anxiety being around people too close so I prefer online chess. Both players can be doing whatever they want. Can be laying in bed, smoking a blunt..whatever. I find that I concentrate more online than face to face.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
nathanjizzle
#Trump4Treason

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongaze
I've known a few people that feel that way. I've got a little social anxiety being around people too close so I prefer online chess. Both players can be doing whatever they want. Can be laying in bed, smoking a blunt..whatever. I find that I concentrate more online than face to face.

thats cool too.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
Akrazotile
NBA Superstar

Quote:
What site are you rocking with? Do you play any variants? Whats your favorite time frame. play sometimes on lichess and chess.com. just started playing king of the hill. Will be trying atomic next. favorite is 10l0 and 2l0

Lichess has a 24 hour tournament coming up in less than an hour

https://lichess.org/tournament/winter17

Didn't Magnus play in a lichess tournament recently?

Tbh, for the sheer sake of simplicity, I usually just type in "chess.com" on my browser and play there. I try to play at chess24 once in a while to support them since I like the broadcasts and banter blitzes they do. But I've just gotten accustomed to chess.com so that's where I usually play. Typically play 3|2, I always tell myself I'm not going to play for very long so I don't wanna get bogged down in a longer game, but then I end up playing a bunch of 3|2 and end up wasting too much time anyway. Also I'm a big proponent of Fischerrrandom. Haven't tried any of the other variants though.

Are you following the rapid and blitz event in Riyadh right now? Glad to see Svidler and Anand doing well. Also is it just me...

Or is Vishy THICK??
Akrazotile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #7
moongaze
America's heartland

Yeah, he competed in the titled tourney a few weeks ago : https://mobile.twitter.com/lichess/s...62989370216448

No one knew it was him till after it was over.We all expected penguingim1 to run away with it, cause he owns at bullet but man were there some great players. Unexpected. Magnus and a bunch of GM's, some unknown that just registered to play that day. rumor is bombegranate is caruana. I'm not following that event. I need to do a better job following the gm offline tournaments. Is it streaming anywhere?

I actually prefer chess.coms layout but like the tournaments and the fact you can do computer analysis, studies..etc for free on lichess vs chess.com
Old 12-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #8
Akrazotile
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Yeah, he competed in the titled tourney a few weeks ago : https://mobile.twitter.com/lichess/s...62989370216448

No one knew it was him till after it was over.We all expected penguingim1 to run away with it, cause he owns at bullet but man were there some great players. Unexpected. Magnus and a bunch of GM's, some unknown that just registered to play that day. rumor is bombegranate is caruana. I'm not following that event. I need to do a better job following the gm offline tournaments. Is it streaming anywhere?

I actually prefer chess.coms layout but like the tournaments and the fact you can do computer analysis, studies..etc for free on lichess vs chess.com

Nice.

Actually Magnus and Hikaru play in the final of chess.com's speed chess championship on Jan 3. I can't remember what time but it'll stream live, so definitely worth looking into and checking out if you're around. Regardless I'm sure they'll upload it to Youtube eventually.

They played in the final last year and crybaby Hikaru had a "camera malfunction" to hide his crying after he predictably started choking. I expect a similar sequence of events this year.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:42 PM   #9
moongaze
America's heartland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrazotile
Nice.

They played in the final last year and crybaby Hikaru had a "camera malfunction" to hide his crying after he predictably started choking. I expect a similar sequence of events this year.

hikaru is a sore loser from what I've seen. It's worse when he plays magnus because of their history.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:06 PM   #10
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

I'm not so bad... probably be playing more in 2018.

gotta get my game back.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:12 AM   #11
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

My USCF rating was just under 2000 back when I played. You really have to play a shit ton of chess to break into the 2100+
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #12
Akrazotile
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by egokiller
My USCF rating was just under 2000 back when I played. You really have to play a shit ton of chess to break into the 2100+

Yeah, thats the territory where you start playing opponents who actually spend time training and studying openings etc. If I could go back in time I might hve gotten more seriously into that as a kid, but I didnt even start playing til 3-4 years ago. As an adult theres just no time to start from scratch trying to get to serious tournament level.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:11 AM   #13
Draz
The People's Choice

I never learned how to play I want to learn though. Always very fascinated by chess. I'm really good at checkers and connect four
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:18 PM   #14
moongaze
America's heartland

Second Titled tournament in less than 45 minutes

https://lichess.org/tournament/WfvjOFkB

Im expecting penguingim1 to dominate this one, depending on if any super gms enter at the last minute. Should be fun. Not sure if Magnus will play in this one. They upped the 1st place prize from 500 in the first titled tournament to 1000 in this one. Should be fun.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #15
Draz
The People's Choice

I wanna learn how to play chess

Today I was at 5 below an wanted to pick up a board
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: