Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2015, 03:49 PM   #1
mehyaM24
Banned
 
mehyaM24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,324
Default FOX News' Geraldo Rivera "Black Lives Matter Only When They're Killed By Cops

fair statement or not?

isn't that guy on the left from those arby commercials?

personally i think they raise valid points. look at the new 'unjust shooting' in olympia recently. seriously man, we need to decide: is it illegal to commit a crime or not? do we want police protection against criminals or not? should the police be required to allow a criminal to walk away without consequence or not?

i for one feel that there is way too much crime in this country and the police are needed more than ever. color shouldn’t make any difference.
mehyaM24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:55 PM   #2
Patrick Chewing
It's Showtime Folks!
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,261
Default Re: FOX News' Geraldo Rivera "Black Lives Matter Only When They're Killed By Cops

I was arguing with a dumb broad yesterday about Freddie Gray's death. She said even Freddie deserved to live. Well, if Freddie was selling drugs and in turn someone OD's or gets shot due to the drugs he sold, then he does not deserve to live.

But people, mostly the ignorant ones want to lump Freddie Gray into that Dindu Nuffin group ignoring the simple fact that the one thing all these guys have in common is that they are criminals plain and simple.

In Brazil, thieves are executed on the spot by cops. Where would the Freddie Gray's of the world prefer to live?? Answer me that.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
Fallen Angel
Let The Games Begin
 
Fallen Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,451
Default Re: FOX News' Geraldo Rivera "Black Lives Matter Only When They're Killed By Cops

Black Lives Matter When Killed By Neighborhood Watch Members

Black Lives Matter When A Child's Education Is A Lower Standard Than That Of Suburban Children

Black Lives Matter When Opportunities Differ From Race

Black Lives Matter When Kidnapped, Raped, and Killed By Stranger

Black Lives Matter When Discrimination Among Skin Color Occurs
Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
mehyaM24
Banned
 
mehyaM24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,324
Default Re: FOX News' Geraldo Rivera "Black Lives Matter Only When They're Killed By Cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
I was arguing with a dumb broad yesterday about Freddie Gray's death. She said even Freddie deserved to live. Well, if Freddie was selling drugs and in turn someone OD's or gets shot due to the drugs he sold, then he does not deserve to live.

But people, mostly the ignorant ones want to lump Freddie Gray into that Dindu Nuffin group ignoring the simple fact that the one thing all these guys have in common is that they are criminals plain and simple.

In Brazil, thieves are executed on the spot by cops. Where would the Freddie Gray's of the world prefer to live?? Answer me that.
i wouldn't go that far, but i can see your point.

have you read about the 'unjust shootings' in washington? two men were caught stealing, were confronted by employees, threw alcohol at those employees and fled. minutes later when confronted by an officer at gunpoint, rather than surrendering and assuming the position, they became aggressive and resisted arrest, assaulting the officer with a skateboard in an effort to escape.

and now a subsequent protest for anti cops? WTF?
mehyaM24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:37 PM   #5
Yoshi
Serious playground baller
 
Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 410
Default Re: FOX News' Geraldo Rivera "Black Lives Matter Only When They're Killed By Cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
I was arguing with a dumb broad yesterday about Freddie Gray's death. She said even Freddie deserved to live. Well, if Freddie was selling drugs and in turn someone OD's or gets shot due to the drugs he sold, then he does not deserve to live.

But people, mostly the ignorant ones want to lump Freddie Gray into that Dindu Nuffin group ignoring the simple fact that the one thing all these guys have in common is that they are criminals plain and simple.

In Brazil, thieves are executed on the spot by cops. Where would the Freddie Gray's of the world prefer to live?? Answer me that.

That is their own fault, not Freddie Gray's. And the second is the responsibility of the shooter.

What if somebody asks you for a ride and you turn them down. Then they drive themselves and die in a car accident. Do you no longer deserve to live because you indirectly set a course of actions that led to their death?
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #6
Droid101
NBA Superstar
 
Droid101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,586
Default Re: FOX News' Geraldo Rivera "Black Lives Matter Only When They're Killed By Cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
In Brazil, thieves are executed on the spot by cops. Where would the Freddie Gray's of the world prefer to live?? Answer me that.
Anywhere.

However, that chance was taken away from him wasn't it?
Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:50 PM   #7
nathanjizzle
Bulls br
 
nathanjizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,428
Default Re: FOX News' Geraldo Rivera "Black Lives Matter Only When They're Killed By Cops

black lives dont matter as much as other lives. Black people are probably the least contributing race to our country. as a matter of fact, they might be in the red.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
HitandRun Reggie
High School JV MVP
 
HitandRun Reggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 658
Default Re: FOX News' Geraldo Rivera "Black Lives Matter Only When They're Killed By Cops

Actually they only seem to think black scumbag's lives matter. I posted a thread a few days ago about a decorated black soldier who was killed by white jail cops and no one cared. The national media seems unconcerned as well.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=376676


Here you have a guy serving a weekend sentence for a DWI, his only brush with the law in his life. He falls terribly ill, and calls out for help. He offers no resistance AT ALL, verbally or physically, yet he is dogpiled on by a bunch of cops in riot gear, he's then pepper sprayed, he's dying of thirst because his kidneys are shutting down and refused water at first, then very little later on. He's bound the entire time while struggling to breath. He's then lifted and dumped, head first, into a faucet, still bound, to get the pepper spray out of his eyes. He's only unbound after he collapses. And even then no call for medical attention is made until after his body has shut down and he's in his last throes of life.

But no, they rally behind pieces of sh!t with long rap sheets, who at least partially brought down a sh!tstorm onto themselves by running, fighting and resisting arrest from cops like Freddie Gray, Eric Garner, Rodney King, Michael Brown,etc. It's absolutely puzzling....
HitandRun Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:46 PM   #9
97 bulls
7-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,426
Default Re: FOX News' Geraldo Rivera "Black Lives Matter Only When They're Killed By Cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
That is their own fault, not Freddie Gray's. And the second is the responsibility of the shooter.

What if somebody asks you for a ride and you turn them down. Then they drive themselves and die in a car accident. Do you no longer deserve to live because you indirectly set a course of actions that led to their death?
I got a better analogy. Have you ever got a speeding ticket? Ran a red light? Should the police be able to shoot a person that commits these crimes? People can and do die from these offense everyday.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:27 PM   #10
rezznor
Nosetradamus
 
rezznor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tonga
Posts: 17,985
Default Re: FOX News' Geraldo Rivera "Black Lives Matter Only When They're Killed By Cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitandRun Reggie
Actually they only seem to think black scumbag's lives matter. I posted a thread a few days ago about a decorated black soldier who was killed by white jail cops and no one cared. The national media seems unconcerned as well.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=376676


Here you have a guy serving a weekend sentence for a DWI, his only brush with the law in his life. He falls terribly ill, and calls out for help. He offers no resistance AT ALL, verbally or physically, yet he is dogpiled on by a bunch of cops in riot gear, he's then pepper sprayed, he's dying of thirst because his kidneys are shutting down and refused water at first, then very little later on. He's bound the entire time while struggling to breath. He's then lifted and dumped, head first, into a faucet, still bound, to get the pepper spray out of his eyes. He's only unbound after he collapses. And even then no call for medical attention is made until after his body has shut down and he's in his last throes of life.

But no, they rally behind pieces of sh!t with long rap sheets, who at least partially brought down a sh!tstorm onto themselves by running, fighting and resisting arrest from cops like Freddie Gray, Eric Garner, Rodney King, Michael Brown,etc. It's absolutely puzzling....

agreed. although there are far fewer cases, black men who have been usually trouble free have been killed from time to time by the police. how come i never see any mass protests for them? those are the causes i could get behind. it absolutely astounds me that the masses usually rally around guys who have a long history of trouble with the law, or were killed while committing a crime or resisting arrest.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:31 PM   #11
rezznor
Nosetradamus
 
rezznor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tonga
Posts: 17,985
Default Re: FOX News' Geraldo Rivera "Black Lives Matter Only When They're Killed By Cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
I got a better analogy. Have you ever got a speeding ticket? Ran a red light? Should the police be able to shoot a person that commits these crimes? People can and do die from these offense everyday.

of course not but if you are a minority and get pulled over for speeding, put your hands on the steering wheel, turn on the dome light if it's dark, and cooperate with the officer. make the officer feel safe. take your ticket and be on your way, it's really not that hard.

if you cop an attitude, mouth off, resist arrest then you are just putting yourself at risk.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:35 PM   #12
97 bulls
7-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,426
Default Re: FOX News' Geraldo Rivera "Black Lives Matter Only When They're Killed By Cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
of course not but if you are a minority and get pulled over for speeding, put your hands on the steering wheel, turn on the dome light if it's dark, and cooperate with the officer. make the officer feel safe. take your ticket and be on your way, it's really not that hard.

if you cop an attitude, mouth off, resist arrest then you are just putting yourself at risk.
Thats not the point. My argument is that you can't justify killing someone because they committed a crime. It should be circumstantial.

I do agree that you should cooperate with the police. But both sides need to feel safe. Theres been plenty videos of officers jumping the gun when not needed. Police have a quick trigger when it comes to black men.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #13
rezznor
Nosetradamus
 
rezznor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tonga
Posts: 17,985
Default Re: FOX News' Geraldo Rivera "Black Lives Matter Only When They're Killed By Cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
Thats not the point. My argument is that you can't justify killing someone because they committed a crime. It should be circumstantial.

I do agree that you should cooperate with the police. But both sides need to feel safe. Theres been plenty videos of officers jumping the gun when not needed. Police have a quick trigger when it comes to black men.
yea but im saying its not the crime thats causing the deaths, its the reactions after they are caught or confronted. when i was a kid yea, i committed petty crimes and have been caught. i never tried to fight or run. that's just a fight i'm never going to win, and if i ever did win it'll just be worse for me eventually. just took my arrest. i dealt with it in court.

i agree that cops have a quick trigger when it come to black men and it is absolutely not fair, but it's a white man's world and we as minorities have to do what we can to get through it and succeed. sometimes it means swallowing some pride and just go about your day. we are already starting off behind the average white male but the best way to win is not to complain and be a hard ass to the cops, it's to work harder and succeed and living well.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #14
Patrick Chewing
It's Showtime Folks!
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,261
Default Re: FOX News' Geraldo Rivera "Black Lives Matter Only When They're Killed By Cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
That is their own fault, not Freddie Gray's. And the second is the responsibility of the shooter.

What if somebody asks you for a ride and you turn them down. Then they drive themselves and die in a car accident. Do you no longer deserve to live because you indirectly set a course of actions that led to their death?


That's a ridiculous analogy. In the one instance, Gray is directly responsible for giving them the poison. He should not be in control of such poison to begin with. Plus, he's benefiting from their death. A car accident is just happenstance. Driving a car is merely a transportation tool with generally a positive desired outcome, to get from one point to the other. No good can come from heroin or whatever the hell he was selling.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:28 PM   #15
ZenMaster
Whap'em
 
ZenMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,019
Default Re: FOX News' Geraldo Rivera "Black Lives Matter Only When They're Killed By Cops

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitandRun Reggie
Actually they only seem to think black scumbag's lives matter. I posted a thread a few days ago about a decorated black soldier who was killed by white jail cops and no one cared. The national media seems unconcerned as well.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=376676


Here you have a guy serving a weekend sentence for a DWI, his only brush with the law in his life. He falls terribly ill, and calls out for help. He offers no resistance AT ALL, verbally or physically, yet he is dogpiled on by a bunch of cops in riot gear, he's then pepper sprayed, he's dying of thirst because his kidneys are shutting down and refused water at first, then very little later on. He's bound the entire time while struggling to breath. He's then lifted and dumped, head first, into a faucet, still bound, to get the pepper spray out of his eyes. He's only unbound after he collapses. And even then no call for medical attention is made until after his body has shut down and he's in his last throes of life.

But no, they rally behind pieces of sh!t with long rap sheets, who at least partially brought down a sh!tstorm onto themselves by running, fighting and resisting arrest from cops like Freddie Gray, Eric Garner, Rodney King, Michael Brown,etc. It's absolutely puzzling....

It's because it happened in a prison which in the mind of people is its own world. Most people cannot relate to what happens in prisons as they have never been and never will be there. Instead you've only see this world depicted on a TV with most often a lot negativity to it as the people in jail are criminals.
Basically it's the same reason you feel strong for this guy while not caring too much if it happened to a former Chinese soldier on the outskirts of Guanzhou.
Then there's also the other side of the argument, the guy went to prison drinking and driving? When people do that other people get killed at a much higher rate than when people drive sober. What if he had hit a young child while driving drunk? Then he wouldn't have been a guy who just made a mistake.

I do competely agree with you, what happened to that guy was absolutely terrible. A bunch of guys ganged up and killed the guy, they didn't give proper help and kept him restrained absurdely long compared to his condition. But because of "procedures" put in place, situations like this become "negligence" instead of what it really is.

Last edited by ZenMaster : 05-22-2015 at 10:34 PM.
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:20 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy