Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #1
Poetry
Local High School Star

Arrow Rush Limbaugh says Trump's NFL stance is 'starting to make me nervous'

"But no president should have dictatorial power over individual behavior. A president should not be able to tell the owners of a business how their employees are gonna act and what they’re gonna swear allegiance to and all that. That’s up to the owners to do, and it’s up to the owners to come up with a system of punishment if their employees violate company policy, like it is in any other business."

Limbaugh stressed that he thinks Trump's "motives are pure" but he said he doesn't "think that it is useful or helpful for any employee anywhere to be forced to do something because the government says they must. That scares hell out of me."

"We don’t want the president being able to demand anybody that he’s unhappy with behave in a way he requires," he added. "That’s scary to me, even if the president’s somebody I happen to like."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nce/756018001/
Poetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #2
Patrick Chewing
O.G. Shot Caller

Default Re: Rush Limbaugh says Trump's NFL stance is 'starting to make me nervous'

I'll say this, this country isn't the same country from the 50's and 60's. The hippie anti-Capitalism revolution of the late 60's and 70's changed the way we looked at government and patriotism. Fast forward to today and you have a rise in Communists and Anarchists running rampant on the streets. Fast forward another 50 years at the rate we are going and this country may split into two, three, or four different countries.

So if anything, Trump is reinforcing the old idea that Patriotism matters as it should, but I highly doubt there is anything he can do to force it on people. It has to be learned in schools, taught at home, shown on TV, heard on the radio, etc.
Patrick Chewing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #3
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Default Re: Rush Limbaugh says Trump's NFL stance is 'starting to make me nervous'

I think it just depends on how you look at the country. It could easily be argued that standing up against and even fighting a government you don't agree with or that you feel does not have your best interest in mind is the most American thing you can do. Not being forced into allegiance with a government you don't agree with is kind of central to the American concept. It's just hard to separate love of country from support of the government. I don't think they should be seen as the same thing at all. I love America but I rarely agree with what those in power are trying to do with it. Even the people who mean well can barely change anything.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
Nick Young
Banned

Leftists getting shook because how effective the NFL boycott is

We are the silent majority.

The bottom line here is that the NFL should not be receiving a cent of federal tax payer money, and yet somehow they receive millions from us every year.

No American should be forced to pay for the NFL bread and circus.

Last edited by Nick Young : 10-12-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #5
west_tip
19 years of excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
Leftists getting shook because how effective the NFL boycott is

We are the silent majority.

The bottom line here is that the NFL should not be receiving a cent of federal tax payer money, and yet somehow they receive millions from us every year.

No American should be forced to pay for the NFL bread and circus.

No American should be subsidizing this shit period.

Taxpayer funded stadiums shouldnt even be a thing...... We have enough legitimate uses for that public money in our schools without subsidizing stadiums that are used like 8 times a year.

NFL stadiums are not community assets, schools are.
west_tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
dude77
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_tip
stadiums that are used like 8 times a year.

what a waste
dude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #7
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

The stadiums always end up paying for themselves, giving cities a huge facet of entertainment, there is more to life than working, and none of them are used only 8 times a year. They are used for a multitude of things, all of them.

Cowboys Stadium hosts college, high school, even peewee leagues. Soccer events, concerts, conventions, all sorts of shit. It's a huge asset to the city.

NBA All Star game was at Cowboys Stadium
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #8
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Yea I was wondering where they would have gotten something like that. The stadium Vegas is building the raiders is gonna be used by UNLV as well....and host boxing...and UFC...and concerts...and a superbowl...

Did these guys not know how much goes on at these places? The stadium in dallas had 100,000 people for wrestle mania.

Know how much hotel revenue, restaurants, transportation, and so on is tied to an arena?

You drive near any NFL stadium half the bars and so on are packed on sundays. I cant imagine what the Panthers being gone would do to generator and propane sales in Charlotte just off the tailgating.

Everywhere does wing specials....catering places are kept afloat...hotels live off event traffic.

Clevelands downtown area lost 130 million just off Lebron leaving. Imagine what a city loses minus an NFL team and that foot traffic?

How much local parking, food, and lodging do you think it takes to handle 80,000 people coming and going?

I know bars that only open on saturdays and sundays in football season for college and nfl games. Insurance way cheaper to operate only 2 days a week and in NFL season they get fat for the rest of the year. Place near my house called Dugout has a panthers party every sunday that packs a half mile of neighboring parking lots. They had to shut down at one point because of firecode violations with too many people for the square footage.

The NFL generates so much money for cities and the population its hard to quantify.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #9
west_tip
19 years of excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
The stadiums always end up paying for themselves, giving cities a huge facet of entertainment, there is more to life than working, and none of them are used only 8 times a year. They are used for a multitude of things, all of them.

Cowboys Stadium hosts college, high school, even peewee leagues. Soccer events, concerts, conventions, all sorts of shit. It's a huge asset to the city.

NBA All Star game was at Cowboys Stadium

You are just pulling this shit out of your ass. There have been multiple studies done by academics and economists that have concluded time and again that there is a negligible to non existent benefit in investing public money into sports stadiums.

Ask the taxpayers in St Louis how they feel about the fact they are still servicing $100 worth of debt for a stadium when their NFL bailed on them. All they have to show for that debt is a white elephant.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #10
Ben Simmons
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Yea I was wondering where they would have gotten something like that. The stadium Vegas is building the raiders is gonna be used by UNLV as well....and host boxing...and UFC...and concerts...and a superbowl...

Did these guys not know how much goes on at these places? The stadium in dallas had 100,000 people for wrestle mania.

Know how much hotel revenue, restaurants, transportation, and so on is tied to an arena?

You drive near any NFL stadium half the bars and so on are packed on sundays. I cant imagine what the Panthers being gone would do to generator and propane sales in Charlotte just off the tailgating.

Everywhere does wing specials....catering places are kept afloat...hotels live off event traffic.

Clevelands downtown area lost 130 million just off Lebron leaving. Imagine what a city loses minus an NFL team and that foot traffic?

How much local parking, food, and lodging do you think it takes to handle 80,000 people coming and going?

I know bars that only open on saturdays and sundays in football season for college and nfl games. Insurance way cheaper to operate only 2 days a week and in NFL season they get fat for the rest of the year. Place near my house called Dugout has a panthers party every sunday that packs a half mile of neighboring parking lots. They had to shut down at one point because of firecode violations with too many people for the square footage.

The NFL generates so much money for cities and the population its hard to quantify.

Actually, if you check the math people would have spent that money regardless.

I'm by no means against stadiums, but it's a con job to offer private citizens the benefits cause they have supposed economic value. Cities should just own the stadiums outright. Hell, we should also have more public sports teams if the people vote for a team in the city
Ben Simmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #11
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Yet every time a team leaves the community acts like someone stole their god given right to football and we get sob stories on out of business bars.

Some of these football towns.....the team is life. Everyone is doing the same thing every Sunday. You need to go through Pittsburgh and then talk about the value of these places to the community.

Cities bid on some events made possible by them. Wrestle mania brought 140 million to its host city one recent year. 2015 I think.

Different cities are impacted in different ways.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #12
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Simmons
Actually, if you check the math people would have spent that money regardless.

I'm by no means against stadiums, but it's a con job to offer private citizens the benefits cause they have supposed economic value. Cities should just own the stadiums outright. Hell, we should also have more public sports teams if the people vote for a team in the city

Reading an article on this issue just now I saw a wrestlemania brought in 60 thousand people from out of state who stayed an average of 3.3 nights. How much money you think that generates in a weekend?

People are generally gonna spend most of their disposable income somewhere sure....but stadiums and events allow a lot of jobs to be built around the predictable nature of it all.

I was in charlotte when ericson stadium opened. It supported an army of temp services just day to day.

Cities don't hand over 500 million for the hell of it. They run the numbers too. Losing a team flat out makes your city less notable. Being an NFL city makes you a somebody. Nobody would know there was a Green Bay without the packers.....
Old 10-13-2017, 11:19 AM   #13
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_tip
You are just pulling this shit out of your ass. There have been multiple studies done by academics and economists that have concluded time and again that there is a negligible to non existent benefit in investing public money into sports stadiums.

Ask the taxpayers in St Louis how they feel about the fact they are still servicing $100 worth of debt for a stadium when their NFL bailed on them. All they have to show for that debt is a white elephant.
What did I pull out of my ass? Everything I posted there is done in Dallas.

Do you have any idea how much revenue hosting a Super Bowl brought to Dallas? NBA All Star game? Boxing? Soccer? Etc etc

Maybe you can dig up some bad occurrences like St Louis...that doesn't mean stadiums have no benefits to a city.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #14
Ben Simmons
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Reading an article on this issue just now I saw a wrestlemania brought in 60 thousand people from out of state who stayed an average of 3.3 nights. How much money you think that generates in a weekend?

People are generally gonna spend most of their disposable income somewhere sure....but stadiums and events allow a lot of jobs to be built around the predictable nature of it all.

I was in charlotte when ericson stadium opened. It supported an army of temp services just day to day.

Cities don't hand over 500 million for the hell of it. They run the numbers too. Losing a team flat out makes your city less notable. Being an NFL city makes you a somebody. Nobody would know there was a Green Bay without the packers.....

I'm not against stadiums. Like I said if a city is gonna foot the bill, they shouldnt fall for the economic con that private investors use. Especially if the team can leave at the whim of the owner.
Ben Simmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #15
west_tip
19 years of excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
What did I pull out of my ass? Everything I posted there is done in Dallas.

Do you have any idea how much revenue hosting a Super Bowl brought to Dallas? NBA All Star game? Boxing? Soccer? Etc etc

Maybe you can dig up some bad occurrences like St Louis...that doesn't mean stadiums have no benefits to a city.

There have been multiple studies done by academics and economists that don't support your contention.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/s...orth-the-cost/
Quote:
In our forthcoming Brookings book, Sports, Jobs, and Taxes, we and 15 collaborators examine the local economic development argument from all angles: case studies of the effect of specific facilities, as well as comparisons among cities and even neighborhoods that have and have not sunk hundreds of millions of dollars into sports development. In every case, the conclusions are the same. A new sports facility has an extremely small (perhaps even negative) effect on overall economic activity and employment.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffrey.../#39d9feae631c
Quote:
So support your local sports team, enjoy the Super Bowl, but never support public financing of a sports stadium. You as a taxpayer are virtually guaranteed to lose that game.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: