Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old Today, 03:05 PM   #1
UK2K
NBA Superstar

Default Valedictorian Says He Failed All His Classes On Purpose And Dropped Out Of School

Quote:
Dear University of Maryland,

I was your Valedictorian until about a month ago and almost gave the Main Commencement Speech at graduation, but instead of giving the speech, I decided to follow my dreams, fail all my classes this semester, and drop out of school two weeks before graduation without getting a degree. If you would like to know why your Valedictorian dropped out of school, you’re welcome to read my email to my parents below:

[Read the Email to his parents here]

By the way, education needs to be free for everybody immediately. Anybody can become a computer scientist for almost free online without paying tens of thousands of bucks in an “education.”

I almost never went to any class ever after freshman year. I literally became the Valedictorian by learning everything by myself at home and then only showing up to the exams. Nobody needs to pay tens of thousands of bucks to sit in class either bored or asleep for 4 years. Remember how boredom is the opposite of passion? Every single second that you are bored in class is a second of your life wasted.

To be completely honest with you, literally none of my professors were able to inspire me in any way. Even the director of my Hinman CEOs Entrepreneurship Program insulted me and told me that I wasn’t good enough to become an entrepreneur because my 3.94 GPA “could be higher.” Is that a joke?

I’m sorry University of Maryland, your campus is absolutely beautiful and I created amazing memories there, but I give you zero credit for my education.

I was able to complete all my computer science major and technology entrepreneurship minor requirements in three years of college and became the Valedictorian, but because I did not waste any time going to classes, I also had time to work out every single day, pledge a fraternity, play sports, go out three times a week, and do a lot of other things…

Time is your most valuable, most precious, nonrenewable resource. Please don’t waste any of it doing things you don’t enjoy.

I’m sorry but I have to cut this message a lot shorter than I want to. I’m already extremely late to happy hour. If you need any additional inspiring, I wrote a rap about entrepreneurship during my freshman year that you can listen to:

Here is his rap --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3tWQnc92I

Have fun at graduation.

Gio Managadze.

Ex-Valedictorian of University of Maryland.

The College Dropout.

Self Made Entrepreneur.

Most boss move of all time, or what? Dude just destroyed the entire education industry in one letter. Granted, he doesn't have a degree, but then again, I doubt he's going to need one.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:21 PM   #2
Dr Seuss
Local High School Star

Default Re: Valedictorian Says He Failed All His Classes On Purpose And Dropped Out Of School

a very eloquent way of saying "once i got to college, partying and socializing became my priority"
Dr Seuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:28 PM   #3
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Default Re: Valedictorian Says He Failed All His Classes On Purpose And Dropped Out Of School

Yes, let's get rid of schools and sit our kids in front of a damn computer all day...

what an idiot

The cost of college is an issue no doubt...maybe it could be free for everyone...but outside of cost going to school is a great thing, if we turn into a society that is anti-education we are fcking doomed. Idiocracy to the core.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:29 PM   #4
Doomsday Dallas
X marks the spot

Interstellar - Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

Interstellar - Do Not Go Gentle/No Time For Caution

(from his rap song^)

Last edited by Doomsday Dallas : Today at 03:47 PM.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:31 PM   #5
Dr Seuss
Local High School Star

so what is the kids point exactly. that going to college/class is a waste of time because he says you can learn learn everything online? or that college should be free so that everyone can attend???
Dr Seuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:38 PM   #6
Orlando Magic
NBA lottery pick

First of all... I admire his passion, even if misguided.

The reality of the situation is him doing this is not going to benefit himself or anyone else, if this is a single act that is not followed up with a continued acts of passion towards spreading the message.

Honestly it screams of attention and nothing else. If this is the ONLY thing that he does to spread his message, he is an attention whore to the utmost degree that will be forgotten in two seconds that just ****ed himself out of a degree and thus limiting his options in life. If this is the beginning step towards him campaigning to make a genuine difference with higher education then I applaud him fully, but I doubt it. It screams attention whore to me.

Also... I hope that he's willing to grind out the work to succeed on his own OR that he's already come up with an original idea, because if not, haha... he has really set himself back for no reason. 0% chance they'd let him graduate now or in the future and all that is for nothing.
Orlando Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:43 PM   #7
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Magic
First of all... I admire his passion, even if misguided.

The reality of the situation is him doing this is not going to benefit himself or anyone else, if this is a single act that is not followed up with a continued acts of passion towards spreading the message.

Honestly it screams of attention and nothing else. If this is the ONLY thing that he does to spread his message, he is an attention whore to the utmost degree that will be forgotten in two seconds that just ****ed himself out of a degree and thus limiting his options in life. If this is the beginning step towards him campaigning to make a genuine difference with higher education then I applaud him fully, but I doubt it. It screams attention whore to me.

Also... I hope that he's willing to grind out the work to succeed on his own OR that he's already come up with an original idea, because if not, haha... he has really set himself back for no reason. 0% chance they'd let him graduate now or in the future and all that is for nothing.
of course he is an attention whore...click the link in the OP, that's him RAPPING

I can't even imagine how sick his parents must be...they're probably vomiting right now. All that hard work, would have been Valedictorian, thrown away.

And now what can he do?...he can't go back to school after that rant, he'd be the biggest hypocrite ever. Now he has to sit himself in front of his computer and teach himself and print up his own degree he made in MS Paint and hand that out at job interviews....lol fck
Old Today, 03:49 PM   #8
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

What a douche.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:50 PM   #9
Doomsday Dallas
X marks the spot

Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:58 PM   #10
Annyong!
Serious playground baller

As smart as he is, this is potentially stupid. If he plans on running his own company or gets job offers off this news alone, he'll be good. However, he will struggle to get a good company job that he applies to on his own, because every application these days has a series of online questions, and he'll be ruled out based on highest degree completed before an actual person looks at his resume.
Annyong! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:04 PM   #11
Annyong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Seuss
so what is the kids point exactly. that going to college/class is a waste of time because he says you can learn learn everything online? or that college should be free so that everyone can attend???
Yeah, kind of conflicting there.

Btw, he would have been wiser to get his degree and then just say all this same stuff during his speech without failing his classes. By not finishing his classes, he essentially just wasted 4 years of tuition that his parents probably helped him with. If classes were not helpful and he doesn't need a degree, why even attend for 4 years? His parents essentially just paid for him to join a fraternity.
Old Today, 04:06 PM   #12
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

It's possible he made big connections while at the University and already had a career lined up...so he knew he could afford to pull this stunt.

Of course if he made those connections while in college, he still owes his success to college.
Old Today, 04:10 PM   #13
Annyong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
It's possible he made big connections while at the University and already had a career lined up...so he knew he could afford to pull this stunt.

Of course if he made those connections while in college, he still owes his success to college.
True. Though, if this approach to college was overall more successful, then the format of college still needs restructuring. One of the biggest flaws to this kid's logic is that he seems to be taking a "well this worked for me, so everybody should do it" approach. He was clearly a smart, self-motivated person. Not everybody is that way, and going to classes may still be better for many than doing what he did. I think almost everybody could agree that college needs a re-format with some more focus on experience, but this kids approach isn't the answer he seems to think it is.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: