Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #1546
hateraid
Is it in you?

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist: 8/10 Fun movie, although I am a little bored with the guy that has the lead role in the movie. Nothing too serious here, but its one of those movies where I can watch it again and again.

I loved that movie. Tribute to those old 90's cult classics like about social awareness like Singles, Empire records, Etc..
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #1547
Maniak
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
I just watched transformers II. Man did it drag. I couldn't even keep my son interested and he's a huge fan of the toys. Those ice cream trucks were annoying.

6.5/10.
I agree. The movie just dragged on and on and on and on. You thought it would end, then BAM, another hour.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #1548
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

I thought Nick and Norah was horrible. I can't stand those kinds of movies. If Hateraid didn't say he liked it, I'd have said you'd have to be an emo to enjoy it. lol
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #1549
embersyc
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniak
I agree. The movie just dragged on and on and on and on. You thought it would end, then BAM, another hour.

Sounds like the LOTR trilogy.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #1550
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:

I loved how RotK kept going on and on. Why would anyone want the second greatest movie of all time to end? I got the extended edition just to watch it that much longer.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #1551
embersyc
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
I loved how RotK kept going on and on. Why would anyone want the second greatest movie of all time to end? I got the extended edition just to watch it that much longer.

I thought LOTR was horrible, you'd have to be a RPG Nerd to enjoy it. lol
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #1552
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
I thought LOTR was horrible, you'd have to be a RPG Nerd to enjoy it. lol

What do RPG's have to do with a movie? lol That's like saying you'd have to be a 30 year old who plays Duke Nukem 10 hours a day in his mom's basement to like Terminator. BTW, I know you're kdding.

And again, it wasn't horrible. It's the 2nd best movie ever.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #1553
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

The worst part about RotK is that it's 3 and a half hours, but they left out the best part of the books, the last 70 pages or so when Samwise comes back to the shire and runs roughshot on all the jerks who overran it, and becomes a hero. They hinted at it, but they didn't really go into it. It's not in the extended stuff either. Id've much preferred that to the wedding stuff.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #1554
kingmob
Serious playground baller

Management, my rate is 6.5

Great, unusual developing story. Not your regularly sliced comedy. Yet, I hated the overly melodramatic last 15 minutes. If not for that, would have added another 1 to my score.
kingmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #1555
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
The worst part about RotK is that it's 3 and a half hours, but they left out the best part of the books, the last 70 pages or so when Samwise comes back to the shire and runs roughshot on all the jerks who overran it, and becomes a hero. They hinted at it, but they didn't really go into it. It's not in the extended stuff either. Id've much preferred that to the wedding stuff.

I was really disappointed too. I presume Jackson didn't think viewers would like sitting through somewhat of a side story in that it doesn't really add much at all to the main story. People might have wondered why the hell did this happen?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #1556
WhiteMosɘs
Free Myanmar

Quote:

Well take your fu cking time then. What's numero uno?

Oh yeah. In keeping with the theme of the thread...

Unbreakable - 9.5/10 Awesome as an "exploration of the analogies between the real world and the mythology of superheroes". I loved the grim colours and the green and purple for the hero and villian. Willis' performance was haunting and Samuel L. did a brilliant job. I liked all the nuances, like how Mr. Glass was seen only on glassy surfaces when he was young. Anyways it would've got my other .5 if it had had a bit more action and power-showing, but I guess that's the subduedness of the film that makes it so fantastic.

Harry Potter - 8/10 Pretty good. I liked the fire scene, even though it isn't in the book and many people protested it. I'd have liked more fighting in Hogwarts prior to death, Ginny was trash, but many great performances (Grint, Hermione, Harry, Draco, Dumbledore, young Voldy). Also not enough focus on the hunt to find out about the Half-Blood Prince, as Snape gave no reasoning for why he was the Prince. That revelation doesn't hit you like it did in the book because they don't show Harry dreaming about who it could be, his dependence on it or any of the research they do to find out.

The latter review was rushed. My bad.

Last edited by WhiteMosɘs : 09-01-2009 at 06:53 PM.
WhiteMosɘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #1557
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Numero uno is Vertigo.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #1558
WhiteMosɘs
Free Myanmar

Quote:
Numero uno is Vertigo.

Wiki'd. Remembered for future. Perhaps to watch. Perhaps to bullshi t/impress someone.
WhiteMosɘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #1559
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

I didn't like Nick and Norah at all, I like Michael Cera but I thought the lead girl tried too hard and was annoying (oh and the f*cking midget olsen-twin looking anorexic that's in Entourage this season, who I f*cking hate, is also in it) Their efforts to include gays in the story was so over done and labored. We get it, he's not homophobic. The music was pretty good I have to say and I'm not a big indy rock guy, but I definitely liked a lot of it. The whole thing was just too self-conscious. I love the idea I just think they missed the mark. The only reason I even bring it up is because you guys were just talking about it and because it serves as excellent comparison for:

Excellent movie. The "theme" park in Iowa where I grew up is called adventureland and I'm a child of the 80's so maybe it was in the cards for me to like this one, but I thought as far as slightly-hip, young, romantic comedies go, this was on point. The music was kick ass and Kristen Stewart is officially smoking f*cking hot. I am too old for her and I don't care. Her little part in "Into the Wild" was so sexy I can't stand it. I thought the cast was great (except Ryan Reynolds, who was an awful cast for his part) and it was a unique, well written, little time piece. If you're renting movies with your girlfriend, pick this up.

F*cking stellar. Where'd all the good sci-fi go? No worse than my 2nd favorite movie of the year so far. Sam Rockwell is a bad ass. Great script, great performance, amazing set, really well put together story.

I'm not a huge Tarantino guy but I think this might have been his best movie yet. The only reason i can't call "moon" the best movie of the year so far is this. I thought the story was so well told, all these amazing scenes setting up tension and building towards this inevitable crescendo. It totally delivered for me, I didn't find any of his usual dialouge-driven scenes boring at all and I think Christoph Waltz is a lock for some awards. Stellar piece of film making by Quentin, my hat's off to the guy for this one.

ah netflix. thank you for bringing me crappy big-name actor movies that I wouldn't have dared go see in the theater. I thought this would be a fun little ocean's 11-esque caper movie and I guess it was but I found myself not really giving a sh*t about any of it. They had some little twists in the story's lineage and you gotta love Clive Owen, Tom Wilksonson, and Paul Giamatti but it didn't do it for me at all.

oh boy. comedies like this getting made make me really wonder who's in charge at some of these studios. the first one (this is the sequel to "Waiting") was terrible in my opinion, but my buddy was in this one so I rented it. I don't think I can tell him I saw it because i have nothing nice to say about it. Horrible, 80's style lampoon stale jokes and attempts to re-hash the lame sh*t from the first one.

i actually saw this in theaters, my best friend, girlfriend, and I all ate these pot-krispie treats (medical marijuana baked into chocolate rice kripie treats) and went to see it, we were so f*cked up it was hard to follow (fishman having a romance scene is tops when you're on pyschotropic baked goods) so I rented it. It's great. As far as comic book action movies go, this is fantastic stuff. It's just a fun, popcorn movie. Visually pleasing to the eye and the dialouge is witty and tounge-in-cheek enough to not bug you or make you feel belittled (see: Transformers).
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #1560
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

lord of the rings is pretty much the pinnacle of big studio film.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: