Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #17056
Doomsday Dallas
2017/18 SB Champs

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Dunkirk - 7/10

You should probably not see this in theaters.... just wait for DVD.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:05 PM   #17057
Godzuki
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas
Dunkirk - 7/10

You should probably not see this in theaters.... just wait for DVD.

thank God i didnt go see this friday. i was so close but i knew it was going to be overrated and i'd be pissed that i fell for another hyped war movie that plays on boring people preferences like the hurt locker

it has all of the characteristics of being one of those overblown movies based on it being a WW2 remake in 16mm and historical so the types who are into shit like that will hype it greater than it is. like history buffs and technical filming cinematography buffs not looking at it from a perspective of people who dont give a fukk about any of that.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:52 AM   #17058
Doomsday Dallas
2017/18 SB Champs

idk...

I left Interstellar somewhat disappointed... and that movie is now one of my favorites.

Dunkirk does have some unique qualities to it... and new approaches to storytelling... but this approach doesn't deliver for a good experience in theaters. However, Nolan does succeed in putting the viewer in the middle of all the action... you do feel as if you're in the middle of a war, and this does leave a lasting impression on you... but it felt anti-climactic and confusing at times. A second viewing will be required. The character development is a little different in this one... Dunkirk is the main character basically.

Good movie... It's still solid... but there is definitely something "meh" about it all.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:12 AM   #17059
1987_Lakers
5-time NBA All-Star

I wish Nolan would go back to making more movies like Memento & The Prestige. Movies with a great story without all that action.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #17060
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas

Get Out - 9/10

Big Sick - 7.5/10
NBAplayoffs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:39 AM   #17061
stalkerforlife
Banned

CHIPS - 10/10.

I have a man crush on Dax Shepard and I like Michael Pena a lot.
stalkerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:59 AM   #17062
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
CHIPS - 10/10.

I have a man crush on Dax Shepard and I like Michael Pena a lot.

Watched this movie. At best a 8/10 and I love Dax Shepard.
NBAplayoffs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:00 PM   #17063
Godzuki
NBA Superstar

Ash vs The Evil Dead S1 and S2

8/10

this show is surprisingly good. i'd say as good as the Evil Dead movies. the 2 new support characters are perfect fits to complement Ash. and Xena is still a hot MILF

its sad how it doesn't get enough publicity or i'd bet it would do a lot better ratings wise. its got way too much gore and the jokes are too crass for little kids so it needs adult support but probably wont ever get it being on Starz. it'll be a shame if S3 is their last one since its really well done
Old 07-28-2017, 03:08 PM   #17064
Godzuki
NBA Superstar

Atomic Blonde

6/10

Terrible. I'd give it a 5 because the script was the worst, some scenes were corny as fukk, and beyond believably dumb already going into it suspending some semblance of belief. If not for the goat white music euro soundtrack it'd probably be lower than a 5.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #17065
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I saw Dunkirk over the weekend. It is a very well done war movie, and a unique take on telling a war story. However, it still falls short of great for me. One of the complaints I seem to have with most war movies is that it's hard to connect to characters who are by definition supposed to feel like replacable pieces in an army. Everyone looks the same, sounds the same, dresses the same. I had a similar issue with Band of Brothers, and probably only overcame it by the shear volume of run time it spans to force the characters into some individuality. It's also one of the reasons I feel like star power helps war movies because ... well in this case, Tom Hardy is Tom Hardy. Some movies will skirt this issue by embracing it, and treating everyone as a piece. This comes close to that in my opinion. But as much as I appreciate that jagged offset timeline, I think it hurt it in that respect, and sometimes made the characters harder to differentiate than they already were. And while I'm willing to complain about it, I'm also willing to complain about something like Saving Private Ryan, where they went above and beyond to create real characters, but they felt so broadly drawn that they feel like sketches. (SPR by the way is a movie that had you asked me on the way out I'dve said is among the best movies of all time, but after years of picking it up in pieces on cable has not aged well for me.)

Otherwise there's a ton of great aspects too. It's really great looking, particularly in spots. Most of the beach stuff, the wide lensed flying stuff. The underwater work. All of that was superb. I expected it to be, and it was. In fact, I was so expecting it, that I found myself a bit disappointed it fell back as often as it did to the one shots of the pilots faces, but I don't know what else to do with that.

Obviously Nolan has a real hard-on for the concept of Time. He even squeezed it into this. After it being a huge theme in Interstellar, and having a round about sort of role in Momento and Inception. This was sort of the cleanest approach to it, and made it feel to me like "This is what a Nolan War Movie would be like" if that makes any sense. My gripe with the time though again is that it made it feel confusing in spots. It almost feels like it could've been edited better, which far be it from me to say, but I will anyway. Things like the plane going down, only for the family to run into the downed boat captain immediately thereafter, just made for a story more muddled than it needed to be. Maybe it was an effort to have the time stuff smack you in the face, but to me it just dirtied the narrative flow more than it had to.

A small note, whoever did the sound design should win whatever award applies there. The increasingly aggressive string soundtrack, that felt a little like a take on the Jaws theme, was spectacular, and the plane engines, bombs, gunshots, and shifting sound above and below water, were all spectacular.

I'd give it a mid 80s, but I do think it warrants a second viewing now that some of narrative disconnect has been fleshed out in my head. It may feel better than that upon a second viewing. I'd also strongly recommend this in theatres, just because it's got some really spectacular visuals, particularly the flight stuff, and because of the sound. I saw it in the Bow Tie BTX theatre, which is their take on IMAX, and to me it was well worth it.

As seems to be usual with Nolan movies with me, they all seem innovative, and interesting, but always feel like something has been pushed too far for me.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:06 PM   #17066
UK2K
NBA Legend

So the consensus of Dunkirk was that it wasn't THAT great?

But a decent watch?

I'll wait for Xbox rental, I guess.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #17067
coin24
3-time NBA All-Star

Has anyone else seen atomic blonde? I though the trailer looked great and am keen to watch it but havnt heard many good things so far
coin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #17068
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
So the consensus of Dunkirk was that it wasn't THAT great?

But a decent watch?

I'll wait for Xbox rental, I guess.

I would say it's great but flawed, particularly if you're into the genre, and because of what it does with sound and visuals, it's worth checking out in theater.

But it's not IMO an Oscar caliber movie.

I'd say my favorite war movies are probably Full Metal Jacket, The Thin Red Line, Apocalypse Now which is closer to a fable IMO, and I'd probably still say Saving Private Ryan is better.
Schindler's List if you consider that a war movie is somewhere up there too. But Dunkirk isn't far from most of those.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:46 PM   #17069
dazzer87
College star

Dunkirk on this site is 7/10..........so does that mean its 4/10?
dazzer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #17070
Doomsday Dallas
2017/18 SB Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzer87
Dunkirk on this site is 7/10..........so does that mean its 4/10?

No,... it means 7/10

maybe 7.2
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: