Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #196
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

"16 Blocks."

Serviceable action movie. For whatever reason, I've always enjoyed David Morse's acting. He plays the same character every time, but he's definitely found his niche.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:16 PM   #197
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

I really like the alley scene at the end.^ Pretty powerful considering It's not much more than a thriller/action movie.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #198
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

I agree. Like I said, Morse is a pretty good actor when it's nailed down to that tough guy/cop role. Here's the alternate ending, which, coupled with deeper characterization of both Morse and Willis' characters, could've set it apart from just another decent action flick:

"The alternate ending has Frank tell one of his friends not to kill Jack saying "that it is over", but his friend tries to do so (take note that the sniper seen in the original ending is no longer there). Jack is taken upstairs and is about to pull out a tape recorder but Frank's man comes out and shoots him. At the same time Frank jumps at Jack to protect him but fails to do so. Jack is still shot and dies, as the tape recorder plays.

Two years later, Jack's sister, takes the cake from the box. The cake is different this time with the quote "There is a lot of signs" and the cake is decorated with a bunch of signs. The letter this time has the same photos and Eddie talks in a much sadder tone."

It was never going to be Oscar material, but it definitely would've jumped a few notches.

Ah, forgot to rate it. Well, since I've set the standard of "Munich" at 7.5, it's going to be tough to give other films decent ratings. If "Munich" is a 7.5 (I may want to amend that), this is probably 5/10, although I don't think it was as bad as that indicates.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #199
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

I have the DVD, I have seen that ending, and I completely agree. Neither ending is bad, but I would've preferred the alternate.

I think Morse is a solid actor. He's never bad, never incredible. He always gives a pretty good performance, and I can appreciate that. He has a sort of calmness to him that always gets me.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #200
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

last movie i saw was "Choke", from the author of Fight Club.

Pretty dark comedy about a sex addicted man who purposely chokes on food in upscale restaurants so that he can pinpoint a sucker to save/'adopt' him. These benefactors begin to financially support the protagonist in the form of monthly checks that the main character uses to pay his ailing mother's hospital bills.

this movie had the same gut wrenching plot twists that fight club had which i loved. it had some great lines and the acting was pretty decent. this was an indy flick but at times didn't feel like one. anjelica huston was brilliant as always.

best line:

Quote:
"A lot of people would say it's a bad idea, on your first day out of prison, to go right back to stalking the tranny hooker that knocked out five of your teeth. But that's how I roll. "
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #201
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
I agree. Like I said, Morse is a pretty good actor when it's nailed down to that tough guy/cop role. Here's the alternate ending, which, coupled with deeper characterization of both Morse and Willis' characters, could've set it apart from just another decent action flick:

"The alternate ending has Frank tell one of his friends not to kill Jack saying "that it is over", but his friend tries to do so (take note that the sniper seen in the original ending is no longer there). Jack is taken upstairs and is about to pull out a tape recorder but Frank's man comes out and shoots him. At the same time Frank jumps at Jack to protect him but fails to do so. Jack is still shot and dies, as the tape recorder plays.

Two years later, Jack's sister, takes the cake from the box. The cake is different this time with the quote "There is a lot of signs" and the cake is decorated with a bunch of signs. The letter this time has the same photos and Eddie talks in a much sadder tone."

It was never going to be Oscar material, but it definitely would've jumped a few notches.

Ah, forgot to rate it. Well, since I've set the standard of "Munich" at 7.5, it's going to be tough to give other films decent ratings. If "Munich" is a 7.5 (I may want to amend that), this is probably 5/10, although I don't think it was as bad as that indicates.
wow. if you gave munich a 7.5 its gonna be hard to give many movies (esp. action.thrillers) any higher than a 6. I wouldnt say it was a 10, but munich was an 8.5 or 9 IMO.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #202
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Did you just say Munich was a 9? You've got to be kidding me. Let's say the all time greatest movies like Citizen Kane and the Godfather are a 10, you're going to rate Munich just under them? You really need to think about what you just said.

Munich wasn't even a top 25 movie of that year, let alone in the same sentence as the movies I listed.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #203
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Booze, sort of along the lines of what Pete said. If the best movies are all time are 10's, I can't rightly put "Munich" on the first tier below that, or the second, even. It would me more effective to grade on a % or out of 100, and I might stretch to give "Munich" an 8, but certainly no higher. The only scenes that were really poignant to me were the kidnapping ones, and that made up a very small portion. The rest of the movie was good, not great.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #204
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

8 is certainly a stretch. Out of 100, I would put it somewhere between 65-72. It's just another run of the mill political thriller, which have been a dime-a-dozen in the last couple of years, and Munich certainly isn't at the top of that list.

I liked Sean Penn in it, though.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #205
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

meh, thats why taste is just that. I thought munich was great. and perhaps not a 9 but I would give it at least an 8. For the record, the godfather is one of the most overrated movies of all time. Great movie (prob. a 9) but not one of the best 25 or 50 movies ever made.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:44 PM   #206
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
I liked Sean Penn in it, though.
Are we thinking of the same movie?
Old 10-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #207
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

If you think the Godfather is overrated, then that just proves you know nothing about film. Stick to music, you seem decent at that.

And yes, for some reason, I pictured Sean Penn in it. Boy, was I wrong. I haven't seen in a long time.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #208
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

The Prestige: 7.25/10

People are still asking questions about this movie. Even after my fourth time seeing it in full, I'm still not clear on everything. That's definitely the mark of a great movie. It's kind of like seeing Mission: Impossible the first time, every time.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #209
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
the godfather is one of the most overrated movies of all time. Great movie (prob. a 9) but not one of the best 25 or 50 movies ever made.

I'd be hard pressed to think of 25 or 50 movies that are better than The Godfather.
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:24 PM   #210
out|hoops|side
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Shooter - Starring Mark Wahlberg as Bob Lee Swagger

10/10

I'm sorry, if you are giving Shooter 10/10, Godfather gets 11/10 based on your scale. Shooter was good, not that good though.
And on second thought, I am not sorry.

Godfather is certainly a top 25 movie of all time boozehound, you are crazy, don't mess with the family.
out|hoops|side is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: