Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-29-2009, 03:07 AM   #2266
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

Raj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlver
Go to IMDB and read the synopsis.
what about wiki? which one's better? IMDB or Wiki?
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:19 AM   #2267
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah, I also agree Bad Lieutenant was decent. Nic Cage's acting was either brilliant or ****, hard to say. You'll know what I mean when you watch it.

Think of this as a flip-side to the City of God token, while not being nearly as good. Instead of the hoods, this time we're mainly focusing on the cops. And not just any cops. The we-are-so-badass-we-will-just-walk-into-the-middle-of-gang-central-and-hand-you-your-asses cops.

It's well-made and well-acted. For some reason it just comes across as a tad bland. And there's way to much narration. Can't fault it much though, the acting was good, the cinematography did a good job of putting you in the moment without making you sick. Soundtrack was complementary. But it's just missing something. The "human" aspect which City of God portrayed so well, maybe. I dunno. It just feels a tad hollow.

6.5/10

See it if you can, it isn't a bad movie. Don't trip over yourself to see it, though.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:24 AM   #2268
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Agreed on Bad Lieutenant, good flick. One of the very good Cage performances, which we all know is like flipping a coin. Just don't compare it to the original, they aren't all that similar. My only real gripe was he just really wasn't all that bad.
Maybe he wasn't Harvey Keitel, but the gambling, whores, drug use, affiliation with drug dealers, and really, planned murder for his own gain seem pretty damn bad to me.

My only gripe about Cage was his accent that came and went. Maybe it was purposeful and signify his drug induced haze. And I STILL have no idea how he won the bet when he bet on LA when the spread was six and they only won by 3 after he intimidated Lousiana's star player into throwing the game. WTF??
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #2269
shlver
코비=GOAT

shlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Da Dodge
what about wiki? which one's better? IMDB or Wiki?
I don't know, read both.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:09 PM   #2270
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Terrible, not a single boob shown throughout, and it played a cover of a Led Zeppelin song, so it automatically gets a 0.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:10 PM   #2271
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux

Terrible, not a single boob shown throughout, and it played a cover of a Led Zeppelin song, so it automatically gets a 0.

So it wasnt funny at all?

I mean boobage it cool but the humor was what I hopping for...
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:11 PM   #2272
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

TBH, there was a few decent one-liners, but as a whole, looking at it subjectively, it doesn't score higher than single digits.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:45 PM   #2273
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Morgan Freeman owned his role(Oscar-worthy, IMO), and Matt Damon turned in a great performance. Movie is devoid of color, but it's based on historical events, so this is to be expected. Some parts also seem a little forced, this could have been transitioned better but the movie would have been longer. Some of the music just doesn't work; seriously, I don't know why you'd have nu-metal in there. Just doesn't fit(only one scene though).

Ultimately though, this is a great story.

7/10
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:49 PM   #2274
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
TBH, there was a few decent one-liners, but as a whole, looking at it subjectively, it doesn't score higher than single digits.

well that sucks...

But I gotta watch it regardless cause Kristen Bell is in it.. oh and Malin Akerman
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:03 AM   #2275
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Paranormal Activity - 9/10
- Very effective with its minimalist style. Constant anticipation of something scary happening was the biggest scare for me here. Enough character development to somewhat give a damn about these people. One of the best horror films I've seen in many years.

Where the Wild Things Are - 7/10
- Solid but unspectacular. Great music and decent performance from the kid. It didn't give me any connection to my childhood though nor did I really get what "lessons" it was trying to show.

The Box - 6/10

- Decent rebound after the brutal Southland Tales. Cyclops and Cameron Diaz were alright in this. Some nice touches of sci-fi weirdness, Donnie Darko style. Some parts were just too random and it seemed like there were scenes missing. Odd transitions between some sequences. A bit heavy-handed and obvious with its message. Lots of the plot relies too much on chance and circumstance.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:19 AM   #2276
rosonviyavong
Raps, Jazz, and UCONN

rosonviyavong has an OK reputation so far

The Orphan, 7.5/10
rosonviyavong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:22 AM   #2277
rosonviyavong
Raps, Jazz, and UCONN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Paranormal Activity - 9/10
- Very effective with its minimalist style. Constant anticipation of something scary happening was the biggest scare for me here. Enough character development to somewhat give a damn about these people. One of the best horror films I've seen in many years.

Where the Wild Things Are - 7/10
- Solid but unspectacular. Great music and decent performance from the kid. It didn't give me any connection to my childhood though nor did I really get what "lessons" it was trying to show.

The Box - 6/10

- Decent rebound after the brutal Southland Tales. Cyclops and Cameron Diaz were alright in this. Some nice touches of sci-fi weirdness, Donnie Darko style. Some parts were just too random and it seemed like there were scenes missing. Odd transitions between some sequences. A bit heavy-handed and obvious with its message. Lots of the plot relies too much on chance and circumstance.
Paronormal Activity had me scared the whole way. I love the way how right when they get in bed your like "Oh **** somethings gonna happen" and when they get to the bed scene quickly you go like "WTF ALREADY?! COME ON" . But yeah it was effective because of no sound effects and what not so you were afriad of soemthing happening at all times. But when you think about it like a week or two later you start to wonder why you were even so scared in the first place like its just blankets moving and door shutting but in the moment of watching the actual movie was still terrifying imo.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:27 AM   #2278
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosonviyavong
Paronormal Activity had me scared the whole way. I love the way how right when they get in bed your like "Oh **** somethings gonna happen" and when they get to the bed scene quickly you go like "WTF ALREADY?! COME ON" . But yeah it was effective because of no sound effects and what not so you were afriad of soemthing happening at all times. But when you think about it like a week or two later you start to wonder why you were even so scared in the first place like its just blankets moving and door shutting but in the moment of watching the actual movie was still terrifying imo.
It was all about the anticipation. Like when the camera speeds through the time when nothing happens at night then it slows down to regular speed and you start scanning the room, the hallway, the bed, everything for whatever is about to happen because you know something will. I thought it was just brilliantly done. And since the camera is stationary most of the time, when one of the characters goes off screen, you get that feeling of dread.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:31 AM   #2279
rosonviyavong
Raps, Jazz, and UCONN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
It was all about the anticipation. Like when the camera speeds through the time when nothing happens at night then it slows down to regular speed and you start scanning the room, the hallway, the bed, everything for whatever is about to happen because you know something will. I thought it was just brilliantly done. And since the camera is stationary most of the time, when one of the characters goes off screen, you get that feeling of dread.
Yeah good points. If I was the director I would of done something like throw in like little stuff happening maybe as little as the camera moving slighty to the right or iuno something along those lines that not everyone will catch but one person will see it and point it out but everyone else will deny anything happen which teases the big thing that the demon does that night.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:45 AM   #2280
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

I just watched Memento for the first time ever, and I noticed something that bothered me:

The scene in which Natalie brings Lenny to her house, they talk a bit, then she tells him that she needs to go back to work, so he takes a picture of her and she tells him that her name is Natalie...the next scene is him watching television [clearly enough time has passed] and he looks at his hand, sees Sammy, opens the case file and then Natalie walks through the door, but...he instantly recognizes her. He doesn't look at the picture he took. Are we [the viewer] supposed to assume that he looked at the picture, or that not enough time had passed for him to forget?

I feel like there are some inconsistencies. Sometimes, like the scene where he hits her, he loses his memory rather quickly, but then there are scenes that show obvious time lapses where he doesn't forget things such as driving to the warehouse, which would take a lot more time than the minute or so it took for him to forget that he hit her. Then there's the black and white scenes where he's talking on the phone to the "cop", obviously a decent amount of time is spent, and he never loses his short term memory.

Comments?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: