Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #2656
v-unit
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Clockword Orange - 9.8/10

Unbelievable. I hit two classics in a row (Being John Malkovich and Clockword Orange) so I'm fealing good now. This movie is unbelievable and almost perfect in every sense IMO. The story, the directing, and especially the acting. Alex DeLarge is in my top 5 favourite movie characters of all time. Favourite scenes are when he puts his team in place at the table after he attacks them and any other scene where Alex talks.

And to the haters

oh? and whats so stinking about it

Big inspiration for Heath Ledger when he made Joker apperently.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #2657
Trademan
Banned

Lion King 1 & 2

Watched them with my female accomplice...
She cried and I laughed.

Anyway, great movies, they were a favorite of mine as a child and hadn't watched em in a while so it was great to see them again.

Classic movies with good meanings and all.

The Lion King - 9/10
The Lion King II: Simba's Pride - 8/10
Trademan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #2658
AtomSmasher
Truth Seeker

here is a brilliant essay i lifted off of the criterion collection's website regarding my favorite film, 'paris, texas'...i still can't believe some of you haven't seen this film. DO IT NOW...

Quote:
The story’s about a man who turns up somewhere in the desert out of nowhere and returns to civilization. Prior to filming, we drove the length of the entire U.S.–Mexican border—more than 1,500 miles. Finally, we decided to shoot in an area called Big Bend, in the southwest of Texas. Big Bend is a national park with incredibly beautiful mountains, through which the Rio Grande flows. That’s the river the “wetbacks” have to swim. As it turned out, we didn’t film there, because when we were looking over the area again from above, in a helicopter, the old pilot, a local guy, told us there was an area a little way off called the Devil’s Graveyard. This godforsaken patch of ground wasn’t even entered on our maps, and it turned out to be a gigantic, abstract dream landscape. There are no police, and most of the immigrants who swim across there just die in the desert because there’s not a drop of water anywhere in it. So that’s where we started our film; that’s where we see Travis for the first time. After he collapses with exhaustion, he’s picked up by his brother. The first place they go is a little hamlet of about twenty houses called Marathon. It has a hotel, where Walt drops Travis, and goes off to buy him some new clothes. But when Walt gets back, his brother has taken off again. The next, slightly bigger, place that Walt and Travis pass through on their way from Texas to Los Angeles is Fort Stanton, a town with a couple of thousand inhabitants. We tried to arrange the film in such a way that all sizes and types of American towns appear in it.

Actually, the smallest place of all was the gas station where Travis collapses. It was called Camellot, and we only stopped there on the recce because we thought it was a funny name. Then came Marathon, then Fort Stanton, then El Paso, which is a middle-sized town, and finally the metropolis Los Angeles. I didn’t show Los Angeles as a city but as an enormous suburb. You don’t really get to see “L.A.” in the film. The only real city you see is Houston, Texas. Houston is one of my favorite cities in America. So, you see, I tried to show all kinds of towns, though of course there are also a lot of scenes that are just set in the countryside.

Actually, I was going to make a far more complex film, because I’d originally intended to drive all over America. I had it in mind to go to Alaska and then the Midwest and across to California and then down to Texas. I’d planned a real zigzag route all over America. But my scriptwriter, Sam Shepard, persuaded me not to. He said: “Don’t bother with all that zigzagging. You can find the whole of America in the one state of Texas.” At the time, I didn’t know Texas all that well, but I trusted Sam. I traveled around Texas for a couple of months, and I had to agree with him. Everything I wanted to have in my film was there in Texas—America in miniature.

A lot of my films start off with road maps instead of scripts. Sometimes it feels like flying blind without instruments. You fly all night, and in the morning you arrive somewhere. That is: you have to try to make a landing somewhere so the film can end.

For me, this film has come off better than, or differently from, my previous films. Once more, we flew all night without instruments, but this time we landed exactly where we meant to. From the outset, Paris, Texas had a much straighter trajectory and a much more precise destination. And from the beginning, too, it had more of a story than my earlier films, and I wanted to tell that story till I dropped. —May 1984
AtomSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #2659
AtomSmasher
Truth Seeker

I just finished watching 'Collapse'...I am literally speechless. A lot of the information that was discussed/covered I was already privy to, but having it systematically presented while going into great detail was just incredible. This is the most important documentary I've ever seen. I will/have encouraged all of my loved ones and friends to view this.

10/10

Last edited by AtomSmasher : 01-29-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #2660
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomSmasher
I just finished watching 'Collapse'...I am literally speechless. A lot of the information he discussed I was already privy to but having it presented systematically and to go into great detail was just incredible. This is the most important documentary I've ever seen. I will/have encouraged all of my loved ones and friends to view this.

10/10
Hmmm... You know I am a doc nut. I'm on this one.

Watched A Serious Man a few days ago. Brilliant. I would expect nothing less from the Coens. Lots of deep themes going on throughout, but chalk full of interesting/hilarious/great characters.

Sy Ableman FTW.

EDIT: The Collapse theatrical trailer has piqued my interest.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 01-29-2010 at 06:48 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #2661
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

I brought it up first!
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #2662
RaininTwos
Betrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeittothehoop
Sherlock Holmes 7.5-8/10

Really liked it, Downey Jr. played a great role, very humourous and I really liked the historical features in the film.
My favourite part was:
Girl:"I've never woken up handcuffed"
Holmes: "I have, naked".

Ending was pretty good also..

I hated the ending. So when is the second one being released? 2012?
RaininTwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #2663
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
I brought it up first!
What did you bring up, Pete? I will need to verify your claims for authenticity before assigning proper credit. You have two minutes.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #2664
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
What did you bring up, Pete? I will need to verify your claims for authenticity before assigning proper credit. You have two minutes.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=161305

two minutes late
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:31 PM   #2665
Alhazred
Local High School Star

Alien- 9
Aliens- 9
Alien3- 7.5
Alien: Resurrection- 6

The series kind of tails off a bit after Aliens, but they're all rewatchable.

Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:32 AM   #2666
AtomSmasher
Truth Seeker

Watched two cools 80's/90's films...

To Live and Die in LA - 8.1/10

Phenomenal cast. Huge fan of Willem Dafoe and a young William Peterson is first rate. Very stylized direction it reminded me of a Michael Mann film.

Bad Influence - 7.9/10

Love me some young Rob Lowe and James Spader. This film is very fun. A throwback film that is full of suspense, you just don't see films like this being made anymore.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:43 AM   #2667
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Loving Anabelle..... 5/10
Kate's Addiction..... 1/10
Anatomy of Hell...... 6/10

I gotta be honest.

I only saw these for some erotic action (mostly lez).... but was surprised at the first and 3rd films as they were actually watchable and even good movies.

Having said that.... I only rated them 6/10 (and 5/10) because while they were slightly better than avg, they ultimately failed. Both had some promise but didn't follow through.

Kate's Addiction just sucked, I stopped watching it before it finished.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:52 AM   #2668
Whiteness
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
Clockword Orange - 9.8/10

Unbelievable. I hit two classics in a row (Being John Malkovich and Clockword Orange) so I'm fealing good now. This movie is unbelievable and almost perfect in every sense IMO. The story, the directing, and especially the acting. Alex DeLarge is in my top 5 favourite movie characters of all time. Favourite scenes are when he puts his team in place at the table after he attacks them and any other scene where Alex talks.

Big inspiration for Heath Ledger when he made Joker apperently.

It's "A Clockwork Orange"... Nonetheless kudos for watching it. Such a cult classic.

Up for bit of ultraviolence?

and also not to be "that" guy... but the book is supposed to be good... but... yeah
Whiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #2669
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

whip it. New movie about roller derby in Austin. It was fairly entertaining, but jimmy fallon is annoying as **** (as always) and it has a lot of really stupid "berrymore" moments. Never really liked her humor and this movie has a lot of it. Overall, probably a 6/10
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #2670
sergiorodriguez

7/10

I thought the cheesy humor and Zap Brannigan captain were really funny, and the sex scenes were pretty good
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: