Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #2971
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,548
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
98 was seriously the worst year in the history of cinema, possibly- shakespere in love, out of sight, saving private ryan, a simple plan, gods and monsters, american history x, butcher boy, lolita, thin red line....these were literally the only note worthy films from that year!


scary!

Big Lebowski, Dark City, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, Pleasantville, Rounders, Ronin, Ringu, Sphere, There's Something About Mary, the Wedding Singer

All good films!
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #2972
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age
 
Raj Da Dodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Clutch City
Posts: 3,014
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
hey raj, have you got a little something for us man? seen any movies over the weekend?




i saw a simple man-
good film, its all surface thoe, style over substance you might say, and it is very very gay, i dont just mean in theme and characters- obviously it is about gay people but in terms of visual style. the director obviously has a very gay eye, everything is very fetishised. but it still has excellent qualities, not least colin firths best performance by a good margin.
8/10

the fall-
now this was a massive dissapointment, id been looking forward to it for ages. if youve seen a trailer for it you will see masses of gloss and visual style and whilst this is present it is also squandered. soo many beautiful locations and well crafted sets but what misguided pretentiousness and hidiously bad narrative and i dont even feel story is even important in films these days. the dialogue is incoherent at times and the whole film feels like a big lot of effort visualy but a massive diabolical waste of time. understand it takes alot for me to condemn a film that obviously possesses ambition but this is just a disgrace. not gonna go into every detail but it was just thoroughly unsatisfactory in almost every sense.
4/10
yea h/o...
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #2973
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick
 
ukplayer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,870
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Big Lebowski, Dark City, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, Pleasantville, Rounders, Ronin, Ringu, Sphere, There's Something About Mary, the Wedding Singer

All good films!





i was gonna coment about barrell scraping but you are already boring to the earths core. although the big lebowski is obviously one i forgot.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #2974
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,548
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
i was gonna coment about barrell scraping but you are already boring to the earths core. although the big lebowski is obviously one i forgot.

Ringu is the only one out of what I listed that should be included with the elite of 1998. All the other are good to great movies. Dark City/Sphere are great sci-fi. There's Something About Mary pretty much started the modern type of comedy films we see now, and it was f*cking hilarious when it came out. I loved the Wedding Singer when I was a kid, great feel good movie, and an flashback 80's comedy? Genius! Pleasantville I think is a damn good movie. Ronin is one of my favorite action movies, especially the chase scene.

These aren't bad movies. They're not elite, but they're good. They're all in the 60-80 range.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #2975
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick
 
ukplayer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,870
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

sphere...great sci fi.....really????

all the othres were mediocre to decent imo. wedding singer i like, same with ronin but i wouldnt call them good films let alone great and as for something about mary- yes its ok but as you said it started that genre of comedy, thats not a good thing, far more bad than good has come from it. i mean final destination and cube were solid films but i really feel they brought about the torture porn phase- one of the alltime worst movements in film. but then i wouldnt like to blame airplane for meet the spartans.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #2976
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom
 
boozehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,334
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

saw the soloist and gran torino last night. both really good flicks imo. Probably about a 7.5/10 for GT and an 8/10 for soloist.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #2977
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,548
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
sphere...great sci fi.....really????

all the othres were mediocre to decent imo. wedding singer i like, same with ronin but i wouldnt call them good films let alone great and as for something about mary- yes its ok but as you said it started that genre of comedy, thats not a good thing, far more bad than good has come from it. i mean final destination and cube were solid films but i really feel they brought about the torture porn phase- one of the alltime worst movements in film. but then i wouldnt like to blame airplane for meet the spartans.

My expectations lower dramatically for different genres. People are as critical with comedies as they are drama. Not fair. If it makes me laugh, It's good. If it doesn't, it isn't. Pretty simple formula. Same thing with action movies. I lower my expectations for the genre. How many action films would you even say are elite films? Not many. So It's not fair to judge them evenly with other genre's. Ronin is great within It's genre. It's better than a majority of action films but isn't up there with the all time greats. It's good. Second tier action film, in the 70-85 range.

And I do agree with the torture porn thing. Pretty terrible.

What say you about Ringu?
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #2978
AtomSmasher
Truth Seeker
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,481
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

watch those wim wenders films yet UK?
AtomSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #2979
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age
 
Raj Da Dodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Clutch City
Posts: 3,014
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Saw North By Northwest yesterday! Thought it was really good! Really suspenseful! Kept me on my feet the whole time! Just a overall good movie! Really enjoyed it! I'll give


North By Northwest - 8/10


Anyone seen it???
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #2980
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick
 
ukplayer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,870
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
My expectations lower dramatically for different genres. People are as critical with comedies as they are drama. Not fair. If it makes me laugh, It's good. If it doesn't, it isn't. Pretty simple formula. Same thing with action movies. I lower my expectations for the genre. How many action films would you even say are elite films? Not many. So It's not fair to judge them evenly with other genre's. Ronin is great within It's genre. It's better than a majority of action films but isn't up there with the all time greats. It's good. Second tier action film, in the 70-85 range.

And I do agree with the torture porn thing. Pretty terrible.



yeah id say thats fair




Quote:
What say you about Ringu?


yeah, good. nice concept scared me fully, but my god have the japanese milked this to hell, talk about starting phases of film making....how many damn imitations with exactly the same concept spewed out from that country- and subsequent american remakes- the grudge etc etc etc etc, i even saw one traversty called dont answer the phone- the remake it was literally the ring accept with mobile phones instead of video tapes....
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #2981
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick
 
ukplayer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,870
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomSmasher
watch those wim wenders films yet UK?




no, im a disgrace.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #2982
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,548
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
yeah id say thats fair







yeah, good. nice concept scared me fully, but my god have the japanese milked this to hell, talk about starting phases of film making....how many damn imitations with exactly the same concept spewed out from that country- and subsequent american remakes- the grudge etc etc etc etc, i even saw one traversty called dont answer the phone- the remake it was literally the ring accept with mobile phones instead of video tapes....

i think i saw that
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #2983
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick
 
ukplayer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,870
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Da Dodge
Saw North By Northwest yesterday! Thought it was really good! Really suspenseful! Kept me on my feet the whole time! Just a overall good movie! Really enjoyed it! I'll give


North By Northwest - 8/10


Anyone seen it???






boring review, its lacking your usual flair and detail. make the next one a paragraph atleast....
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #2984
AtomSmasher
Truth Seeker
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,481
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
no, im a disgrace.
shame. im sure you've seen buena vista social club, i wasn't even aware that was WW until recently, lol.

herzog and wenders - the masters of features and docs.
AtomSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #2985
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick
 
ukplayer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,870
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
i think i saw that





now im thinking it may have been called one missed call.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy