Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-07-2010, 12:33 AM   #3121
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus

I don't know what to give it. There were so many concepts packed in the movie, I had trouble wrapping my head around it. To be honest, I couldn't catch many of the meanings during the watch, but man was this film dark. I consider myself an amateur movie watcher.

For those who watched it, what do you think of it?

just another coen masterpiece, my review is in here somewhere. the characters and just how beautifully observed it is- also very well shot as always- make it a 9.5/10 for me.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:36 AM   #3122
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

i watched crazy heart tonight, im shocked its been hardley discussed on here. bridges is clearly going to win best actor, even by his standards it was an increadible performance. such a mature, controlled piece of acting, the film aside from that was solid, restrained and had a great soundtrack
8/10
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:48 AM   #3123
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
i watched crazy heart tonight, im shocked its been hardley discussed on here. bridges is clearly going to win best actor, even by his standards it was an increadible performance. such a mature, controlled piece of acting, the film aside from that was solid, restrained and had a great soundtrack
8/10

Saw this recently as well. I'd give it a 9, but I agree with your review.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:49 AM   #3124
kentatm
NBA Legend

Year One

Disappointing. I didn't expect it to be high art but it may as well have been one of those other random parody flicks written by those dudes that do crap like Epic Movie with some more known actors. Had some funny parts but the scenes were strung together very poorly. Its sad how far Harold Ramis has fallen. The whole thing felt choppy. It seemed like they would set up jokes that never occurred. David Cross was kind of grating throughout.

4/10

Better than Envy but that ain't saying much.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:20 AM   #3125
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

Just saw We Were Soldiers for the 2nd time and for the 1st time after a long time, saw it for the 1st time 2 years ago in my movie class in my senior year of HS, and decided to watch it today cuz it was on tv on TNT, and lemme tell yall, this movie is amazing!!! Great movie foreal! Very sad but very good! Love it! Anyone seen it?

We Were Soldiers - 8/10!

Rotten Tomatoes
IMDB
Roger Ebert Review
Trailer
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:23 AM   #3126
Bosnian Sajo
we finish or we done?

102.47/10
Bosnian Sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #3127
HansMoleman

9/10
Old 03-07-2010, 05:14 AM   #3128
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
Better than Envy but that ain't saying much.
Walken in Envy made it worth it. If there were a DVD with just his scenes I'd rent it.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #3129
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

8/10

**SPOILERS AHEAD**

Wow, I've been sleeping on this one for a while. Glad I finally got a chance to see it. This was a movie that operated on two levels- one in a pretty violent and brutal reality and the other in a more artsy spiritual realm. At first I honestly thought it would be a film about a guy's redemption- he goes to jail, he's forced to kill someone, then he begins to learn to read and write, seems to be haunted by his actions, etc. but it ended being more a character arc like Michael Corleone in that he starts out (relatively) innocent and progressively becomes more ruthless, conniving, indifferent to death/murder until he completely transforms from a witless kid into a underworld kingpin. I want to watch it again so I can get a better understanding of what the director/writer was trying to convey with the 'prophet' scenes- I couldn't tell if it was more symbolic of events (ie, Deer caught in headlights) or meant to be taken as Malik having literal precognitive abilities. Also I was originally under the impression that Reyeb's 'ghost' was supposed to be his conscience that would lead him to spiritual and religious change/growth, but after a while it was clear 'he' was more of an accomplice than anything.

Anyway, very good, entertaining, well-written and directed film. Definitely going to watch it again.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #3130
Alhazred
Local High School Star

7.5/10

Not Scorsese's best, but still a very good film. Two detectives are investigating a case of a missing patient at an insane asylum. When a hurricane hits, the detectives begin to suspect that the people at the institution are trying to hide a conspiracy. Plenty of twists along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus
I don't know what to give it. There were so many concepts packed in the movie, I had trouble wrapping my head around it. To be honest, I couldn't catch many of the meanings during the watch, but man was this film dark. I consider myself an amateur movie watcher.

For those who watched it, what do you think of it?

The ending left me feeling kind of odd, but overall I enjoyed it. Too bad it didn't get a nomination for Best Picture, it deserved it.

Last edited by Alhazred : 03-09-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #3131
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

Anyone see Brooklyn's Finest??? I heard it was stupid, horrible, and it sucked. I was really surprised when I heard that. idk if its true or not. Anyone see it?
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:01 AM   #3132
JimmyConway
****in Morrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhazred

7.5/10

Not Scorsese's best, but still a very good film. Two detectives are investigating a case of a missing patient at an insane asylum. When a hurricane hits, the detectives begin to suspect that the people at the institution are trying to hide a conspiracy. Plenty of twists along the way.

The ending left me feeling kind of odd, but overall I enjoyed it. Too bad it didn't get a nomination for Best Picture, it deserved it.
It will be in the running for next years oscars. It came out too late to be in this years.
JimmyConway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #3133
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyConway
It will be in the running for next years oscars. It came out too late to be in this years.
It could've been released in time for Oscars. That it was delayed speaks volumes of the producers' confidence of its performance.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #3134
jbot
Future D1 Dad

2012. i give it a 4/10. man, what a horrible movie.

the extended family part seemed like a good thing until they go and kill off the stepdad, only to have the real dad hook up w/ the mom later. makes me wonder if the director/screenwriter had a bad family experience or something.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:36 AM   #3135
JimmyConway
****in Morrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
It could've been released in time for Oscars. That it was delayed speaks volumes of the producers' confidence of its performance.
Yeah i know, i remember reading somewhere that it had something to do with marketing conflicts and that Leo had scheduling conflicts or something. You maybe right though cause what i read sounded like possible bs.
JimmyConway is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: