Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-11-2010, 03:02 AM   #3391
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
deuce are you in some way suggesting uk universities are not vastly superiour to over there?

If I were to say that, Academic Ranking of World Universities and Times Higher Education would back up my argument. I believe they are the premiere rankers of world universities.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:03 AM   #3392
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Yeah, I'm sure you're as qualified as anyone to talk about grading systems in the US. Especially when it comes to community colleges.

i know how raj did, and as i told you my cousin insisted this was the case but i didnt take it literally.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:04 AM   #3393
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
outside of your brain you mean?

maybe outside of raj
Old 04-11-2010, 03:05 AM   #3394
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Have you attended an American University? Do you have any proof of this? I have over 250 credits at three DI American universities and I have never had a curved class.
I said they are often curved. Not always, maybe they didn't do that in the classes you took, read more carefully. Just google grade inflation, universities, and dropping out. I'm not doing it right now because its 3 AM but its a significant reason.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:05 AM   #3395
Eggy
Banned

Quote:
Have you attended an American University? Do you have any proof of this? I have over 250 credits at three DI American universities and I have never had a curved class.
I have and it depends on the professor. My biochem class was graded on a curve and the class average was 50%-70%. The rest of my classes weren't.
Eggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:17 AM   #3396
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Top Ten Universities in the World:

1. Harvard(USA)
2. Cambridge(UK)
3. Yale(USA)
4. UCL(UK)
5. Oxford(UK)
6. Imperial(UK)
7. University of Chicago(USA)
8. Princeton(USA)
9. MIT(USA)
10. CALTECH(USA)

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings

This is all irrelevant though, because Raj goes to a community college. If you don't know what that is UK, it's basically the red-headed step-child of an actual real college. No offense, Raj. Props, and much respect for furthering your education.

lol UCL should be no where close to the top 10. USA schools as a whole are definitely better but at least 4 of them >U of Mich, unlike what Deuce said.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:17 AM   #3397
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
I said they are often curved. Not always, maybe they didn't do that in the classes you took, read more carefully. Just google grade inflation, universities, and dropping out. I'm not doing it right now because its 3 AM but its a significant reason.

I recommend you Google it. Most studies report it's rampant in Canada, US, and Britain. Furthermore, I read carefully, you said often, implying some sort of majority, and even if you meant on a smaller scale, your comments were anecdotal and baseless, but I'm beginning to notice that trend in many of your posts.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:19 AM   #3398
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
lol UCL should be no where close to the top 10. USA schools as a whole are definitely better but at least 4 of them >U of Mich, unlike what Deuce said.

I was talking architecture before you intervened in that thread. That being said. You check world rankings of colleges and UM will be up there. Top 10 in nearly every graduate category. You're the idiot who said they weren't even top 10 in the US.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:22 AM   #3399
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
I was talking architecture before you intervened in that thread. That being said. You check world rankings of colleges and UM will be up there. Top 10 in nearly every graduate category. You're the idiot who said they weren't even top 10 in the US.
What the hell? Just look above and you can see they aren't top 10 in the world.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:25 AM   #3400
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
I recommend you Google it. Most studies report it's rampant in Canada, US, and Britain. Furthermore, I read carefully, you said often, implying some sort of majority, and even if you meant on a smaller scale, your comments were anecdotal and baseless, but I'm beginning to notice that trend in many of your posts.
A quick google only returns that Britain's grade inflation pertains to GSCE and A-levels, which are high school level. Not part of the discussion.

Often means frequently, or many times, it does not have to imply majority.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:29 AM   #3401
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

"With 1% of the world’s population, the UK produces 9% of the world’s scientific papers, and 13% of the most highly cited. It wins 10% of the world’s internationally recognised research prizes and has produced 44 Nobel Prize winners in the last 50 years. UK research productivity is superior to that of the US: in the UK academics produce 16 research papers for every £1 million invested compared to 10 in the US and 4 in Japan. "
Old 04-11-2010, 03:34 AM   #3402
Fatal9
owwwww

Only top tier universities (top 50 or so) are respectable enough that you can brag imo. The difference between the exams, course load of a top university compared to an average one is huge (especially since curves work relative to your competition). I don't think it's fair to base the grading system of NA on a random community college, higher than 85% is unheard of at my university too (or any respectable one). My TA kept one of my papers for future examples and I still only got an 85% on it, when there were literally no negative comments on the entire thing. People I know who've come to my school from England usually have a really easy time in English/History classes which are writing oriented (history program usually very euro-centric so they have an advantage there) but that's about it.
Fatal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:43 AM   #3403
Knuck the Ficks
Come touch it, Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal9
Only top tier universities (top 50 or so) are respectable enough that you can brag imo. The difference between the exams, course load of a top university compared to an average one is huge (especially since curves work relative to your competition)
Are they that much harder? I'm not saying you're wrong it's just that I've heard differently from other sources. For example, Harvard is notorious for grade inflation

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ma...t_a_c_anymore/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
In 2007, more than half of all Harvard grades were in the A range

I understand that a Harvard student is significantly smarter than the average student, but >50% is excessive IMO.
Knuck the Ficks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:46 AM   #3404
EroticVanilla
Sexual Chocolate=GOAT

Quote:
Only top tier universities (top 50 or so) are respectable enough that you can brag imo. The difference between the exams, course load of a top university compared to an average one is huge (especially since curves work relative to your competition). I don't think it's fair to base the grading system of NA on a random community college, higher than 85% is unheard of at my university too (or any respectable one). My TA kept one of my papers for future examples and I still only got an 85% on it, when there were literally no negative comments on the entire thing. People I know who've come to my school from England usually have a really easy time in English/History classes which are writing oriented (history program usually very euro-centric so they have an advantage there) but that's about it.
I don't understand the point of stopping at 85%, your paper was good enough for your teacher to hold onto it for future classes to use as an example of what she's looking for in a paper, but it doesn't warrant a 100? Do you have to pull some Einstein theory of relativity out of your ass to get a 100? why even have 86-100 if it's impossible to get it?
EroticVanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:55 AM   #3405
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
I agree to a point. I had a similar experience to your 85-percent. My professor asked if he could use my senior project as an example for future students but I still got an A-minus on it (something like a 92).

That said, there are good smaller private colleges out there that don't fit into the Top 50 or so. For instance, my brother graduated from Columbia, but he was shocked at the amount of work required for me to graduate from a small private school that is not well known nationally. He said that it was every bit as intensive as anything that he had to go through at Columbia (not that I would ever compare it to an Ivy League school).

The school where I finished is one of the few remaining in the country that still requires senior comprehensive exams, written and oral, before a student is approved for graduation.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 04-11-2010 at 03:59 AM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: