Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #3991
Apples
Banned

Apples has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Streaming Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai - http://www.justin.tv/loneshot#r=CZxFSqg~
Apples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #3992
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Really?

I mean the surreal dream segments... Come on.
That's pretty much as close as you can get to pointing out the main character isn't sane, short of dressing him up in a straight jacket. Then there is the flashback to the WW2 atrocities. And with the setting being an institution for the criminally insane, you just connect the dots.

The dream segments especially made it an easy catch.

That doesn't automatically mean it's poorly executed. With these movies ending in a twist either you are going to see it coming or it's just a ridiculous pulled out of thin air ending that doesn't make sense.

this is kinda what im saying and is precisely why it is well executed, if you are observant, those things are in there to make you consider things in and around the conclusion. its not a case of "oh i guessed the twist, therefore the film was bad" as people have suggested and idioticaly do this for many films- as if they somehow beat the film or something stupid.

i will explain this properly later/tomorrow, ive had a few...
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #3993
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Speaking of twists, "Memento" was on TV the other day. Captivating. 88%.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #3994
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Da Dodge
Saw 2012The special effects were really good but they were fake as hell.

So, which is it?
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #3995
J_Rock3ts
The Truth

J_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected posterJ_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected posterJ_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected poster

Alright, post number 4,000 in this thread! Anyway, the last movie i saw was the new Nightmare on Elm Street flick. I've been a huge fan of the series ever since my gf (an avid NoES fan) got me to watch them in a marathon show. Tried to keep the spoilers to a minimum, but don't read this if you plan on seeing the movie and want to be surprised. I'm not really good at movie reviews, so bear with me.

Story (7/10)
Pretty much the same as the original Nightmare on Elm street, so no big surprises here. Reenacts the same death scenes, minus the "bed swallowing Johnny Depp" bit, which was disappointing. Going in, I curious to see how they'd portray that exact scene as well...there was an allusion to it however. And is it just me, or did they go wayyyyyy overboard with the pedo aspect of Freddy? Without giving any spoilers, the motivating force behind Freddy's killing was completely different. I cringed during the entire last standdown, and not for a good reason.

Characters (4/10)
Maybe it's just me being a nostalgiafag, but I felt a lot more connected to the characters in the original movie. The two leading roles (Freddy/Nancy) were completely butchered, moreso the former. I can dig the fact that they wanted to give him a more menacing personality, but some of his lines were completely laughable. The only character I felt was improved from the original was Quentin's, who became more of a sidekick than killtoy.

Horror Elements (6.5/10)
The movie started with a f*cking bang with a fantastic pre-title screen death, but it went downhill from there. I felt the entire movie was a long jump scene. Some of them were good, most were unnecessary. And while I understand it comes with the territory, especially for this particular series, you just have to watch it to understand. I thought Freddy was much scarier in the first movie, both appearance and plot-wise. However, the death scenes were generally very well done, and there were certainly a couple of spine chilling moments.

Would I recommend it?
As far as entertainment value goes, I put it above NoES 2, and everything after 4. I'd recommend the original, 3, 4, New Nightmare, and Freddy vs Jason over it though. If you're a fan of the series, you probably don't need any coaxing from me to go see it. And if it's your first NoES, check it out. Just go d/l or buy the original one afterwards and see which one you like better.
J_Rock3ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #3996
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Juges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation hereJuges8932 has an incredible reputation here

Boondock Saints- 9/10. Funny, good action, not too long. Also looked great in blu-ray.

Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:03 AM   #3997
YAWN
NBA All-star

YAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

http://media.dvdtown.com/images/disp...ype=1&p age=0

Shooter.

I actually enjoyed this movie. 7.75/10. bunch of action and decent story line where this guy gets framed for an assassination attempt at the president if the United States.

Recommended for people who like the Bourne movies and Taken.
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:09 AM   #3998
DC's Finest
My Shit Don't Stank.

DC's Finest has decent reputationDC's Finest has decent reputation

Has anyone seen "Gunnin for that #1 spot"? I've been trying to rent this movie everywhere, but no one has it. I've been thinking about just buying it, but would like to get opinions first.
DC's Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:13 AM   #3999
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

QUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this board

Slammin' Salmon

1.3/ 10

HORRIBLE
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:21 AM   #4000
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
this is kinda what im saying and is precisely why it is well executed, if you are observant, those things are in there to make you consider things in and around the conclusion. its not a case of "oh i guessed the twist, therefore the film was bad" as people have suggested and idioticaly do this for many films- as if they somehow beat the film or something stupid.

i will explain this properly later/tomorrow, ive had a few...

*Spoiler Alert I guess*

For me, the fact that he was questioning whether or not it was better to live with the knowledge of his actions or "die a hero" (paraphrasing) was what made the ending really well done. Perhaps he was really lucid but couldn't live with himself, hence surrendering himself to the lobotomy. It's been like a month since I saw the movie so maybe I missed something
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:38 AM   #4001
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm downloading these movies, all of which I've never seen, bolded are the ones that I've been wanting to see for a long while:

the Lives Of Others
the Sting
Stand By Me

Sleuth
Brief Encounter
Rope
Bonnie & Clyde
La Strada
Anatomy Of a Murder
the Lady Vanishes
Once Upon A Time In the West
Das Boot
Chinatown
Double Indemnity
the Birds
Vertigo
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:32 AM   #4002
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This Film Is Not Yet Rated

7/10- I enjoyed this movie. It wasn't the best documentary style I've seen at at times it felt like the part with the PI girls was just kind of wandering. But the subject matter was very interesting and I like the accounts they give.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:46 PM   #4003
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
I'm downloading these movies, all of which I've never seen, bolded are the ones that I've been wanting to see for a long while:

the Lives Of Others
the Sting
Stand By Me

Sleuth
Brief Encounter
Rope
Bonnie & Clyde
La Strada
Anatomy Of a Murder
the Lady Vanishes
Das Boot
Chinatown
Double Indemnity
the Birds
Vertigo

Good selections.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:14 PM   #4004
supersmashbros
Good college starter

supersmashbros is considered somewhat coolsupersmashbros is considered somewhat cool

What do you guys think about Avatar?

I say its a little over-rated and I was a little surprised it cost 400 million to make. Overall it was still a pretty good movie.
supersmashbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #4005
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux

the Lives Of Others
the Sting
Stand By Me

Sleuth
Brief Encounter
Rope
Bonnie & Clyde
La Strada
Anatomy Of a Murder
the Lady Vanishes
Das Boot
Chinatown
Double Indemnity
the Birds
Vertigo

Shocking that an Eastwood afficionado such as yourself hasn't seen OUATITW.

Oh well, we all have a couple of those on our list.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: