Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-09-2010, 01:10 AM   #4066
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

I've never heard Jackie Brown described as very weak. I need to watch it still.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:12 AM   #4067
JimmyConway
****in Morrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
SMH
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol. come on man after going through all that it ends with fcukin michael keaton popping out and shooting SLJ? SO WEAK. why the fcuk didn't jackie brown shoot him? Its suppose to be about her.
JimmyConway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #4068
"Jesus"
Short & Sweet

9/10

This was freaking amazing. Perhaps I'm a sucker for twists, but I was hooked. Amazing performances from everyone. I would go as far as putting it on my top 20 list.
"Jesus" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #4069
bisk

Loved It. Hustling movie pur sang, great acting, couple of cool twists. Harold Gould (Kid Twist)
9/10
bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #4070
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

The Man From Earth

This was wild. It's about a successful college professor who's just up and moving on for seemingly no particular reason, and all his friends want to know why. So he tells them. He's a "caveman"(later Cro-Magnon) who just never died; he's been alive for 14,000 years. He moves on every ten years before people start to notice that he doesn't age. Of course none of his academic friends believe him, so he tells his story. A very convincing story, in which he has believable answers for all of his friends' historical and scientific questions.

This is probably one of the best movies of all-time to take place solely in one room for ~99% of the time. Of course, the only other two I can think of off the top of my head are 12 Angry Men and Rear Window. My only complaint is that the acting is pretty mediocre. Good, thought-provoking stuff.

7.5/10

iMDB(8.1/10)
RottenTomatoes(100%[only three reviews, though])

Trailer
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #4071
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
City Island

Very well-made, and funnier than most of the straight-up comedies that have hit theaters recently.

7.7/10

iMDB
RT

Caught it at this great old-fashioned theater near me that plays a lot of Indies.

My review from a while ago:

Rating: 8/10

This one was refreshing. Film about a severely dysfunctional family who somehow manage to function and their many secrets and quirks. Perfect mix of comedy and drama and the casting directors earned their cut. Great to see Andy Garcia on the screen again, he was great.

Also caught:

Rating: 7/10

It's nice that of all the WWII movies that have come out over the years, one finally focused on a new subject/perspective- The Rape of Nanking. But the problem with the film is that it focused too much on the character of Rabe and the inner circle of magistrates of the 'safe zone' that they created and tried to create and less on the actual calamity and war. Too much time was spent on bureaucratic squabbles over settlement size and rice rations and not enough on the suffering and the victims of the Japanese Blitz. Also, the acting was uneven- especially the female lead, Anne Consigny, she was overly dramatic and too theatrical. Also didn't care for how they continuously changed from German subtitled to English, kind of distracting. The lead actor Ulrich Tukur and Steve Buscemi (as always ) were solid and their love-hate relationship carried the thing for the most part.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:56 PM   #4072
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
finally saw the road (possibly my favorite cormac mccarthy book). It did a pretty good job of sticking to the book, though the shortened or cut certain events. Pretty depressing movie (as is the book). I was unsure how they would pull off this movie, since the book is a lot of internal dialog and brief moments of terror/uncertainty. The movie was a little slow, but still pretty touching. Overall, a 7/10

Just got done watching it earlier tonight. Viggo Mortensen is an amazing actor. Totally believable as the father who fights for his child's life even though he really doesn't know why. The kid is also terrific in the role of the only remaining candle of humanity.

The scene of the captives used for canibalistic harvest will haunt me for a long time.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #4073
bballer
Orioles/Tarheels

Decent movie. Wasn't my favorite. 8/10
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:06 AM   #4074
JimmyConway
****in Morrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
The scene of the captives used for canibalistic harvest will haunt me for a long time.
I second that. What a distressing sight that was.
JimmyConway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:55 AM   #4075
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Watched a couple tonight:

Legion

This shit was trash. Not at all what I expected. The premise of the movie is stupid IMO. They had some good actors, but the story was dumb. Not many likable characters. Just didn't really enjoy it.

4/10. Simply because there were actors that I liked and a couple of chuckle moments.

The Book of Eli

I loved it. It's a pretty constant, slower paced movie. Great actors in it. I probably liked it more than most because of my bias towards Denzel, since he is my favorite actor. There were some cool fight scenes. Some emotional scenes.

9/10
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:58 AM   #4076
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyConway
Jackie Brown - 6.75/10
ehh...didn't really feel it. Maybe i was expecting a lot cause it was tarantino but i just really didn't think it was great at all. I couldn't believe the ending, VERY WEAK. VERY.

Go back to watching Pulp Fictions bullshit cartoon characters with yet another shitty John Travolta performance. Dude is a worthless actor.
Hotlantadude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:05 AM   #4077
"Jesus"
Short & Sweet

10/10

The airport scene where he sticks out his tongue naturally is MIND BLASTING!
"Jesus" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:09 AM   #4078
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juges8932
Watched a couple tonight:

Legion

This shit was trash. Not at all what I expected. The premise of the movie is stupid IMO. They had some good actors, but the story was dumb. Not many likable characters. Just didn't really enjoy it.

4/10. Simply because there were actors that I liked and a couple of chuckle moments.

um... what did you expect?
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:29 AM   #4079
Mamba
Vince Carter > Kobe

the a-team.

it was fun, the tv show was ridiculous, this is even more ridiculous, and atleast they didn't try and do anything like give BA a ****ing personality, it was actually quite entertaining.
lots of shit blowing up, jessica biel, and 4 guys that specialize in the insane. i actually loved this movie and will see it again, its rewatchable like XXX. u guys hate to admit it but you love watching vin diesel blow shit up and **** up the russians.
Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #4080
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
um... what did you expect?

I didn't know anything about the movie, whatsoever. Just what I had remembered from a preview I saw a long time ago, lol. I was expecting fantasy, just not like that. I was expecting a more grandiose setting. Not just some run-down, hick restaurant in the middle of nowhere.
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: