Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-07-2010, 04:39 AM   #4246
vapid
Paranoid Android

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Enjoyable, well directed and definitely funny at times. Did not really think the Dude was a great character and John Goodman really stole the show imo. Philip Seymour Hoffman was great in his little role. I can see how this can garner a massive cult following and I appreciate how it has a little philosophical depth to it, but I would not call it amazing. The Coen brothers are quite versatile.

7.5/10

Last edited by vapid : 08-07-2010 at 04:42 AM.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:11 AM   #4247
oneeyeddeacon
Not airballing my layups anymore

Ebola Syndrome

I don't know why, but I loved it. It's nothing but sex, murder, rape, more rape, more murder, more sex, more rape, and more murder, but it's a lot funnier and more lighthearted than the other ultra-violent movies I've seen (Cannibal Holocaust, Men Behind the Sun, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom). Highly recommended to anyone with a strong stomach.

9/10
oneeyeddeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #4248
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosso√er
Shutter Island had sensational twists? Come on man, it was an overlong, nauseating thriller lacking palpable suspense and clever twists. Sure the film had its expected production value (considering who the director was) and good acting; but it lacked the big picture. What Scorsese tried to direct lacked significant substance. You can craft a beautiful car for an Indy 500; but if you place the wrong engine in it, you simply won't win the race. That's how I felt about this movie.

Bottom line, despite the film providing us with lurid imagery and high-intensity stimuli; the movie is simply inert. Ultimately this movie is an infuriating trick that makes its most provocative ideas disappear.

I don't consider Vanilla Sky to be a great movie, but this one was even worse.

I didn't say it had multiple twists---just one. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions on subjective topics, but if you missed the "clever" twist, the pivotal one that turned the entire movie upside-down, you probably didn't watch it thoroughly or pay enough attention. I'm not trying to spoil the movie for anyone who hasn't already viewed it, but I"ll just leave it at that.

As for your analysis, it's a bit pedantic to say the least. It has been a few weeks since I watched the movie, so I won't argue about its suspense.
airchibundo507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #4249
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchibundo507
I didn't say it had multiple twists---just one. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions on subjective topics, but if you missed the "clever" twist, the pivotal one that turned the entire movie upside-down, you probably didn't watch it thoroughly or pay enough attention. I'm not trying to spoil the movie for anyone who hasn't already viewed it, but I"ll just leave it at that.

it's not possible to watch the movie and miss the 'twist'
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:37 AM   #4250
sunsfan1357
Word.

7 Pounds- 8/10. I was skeptical going into the movie beacuse people said it was like Pursuit of Happyness, but I didn't find that to be the case at all. It was a nice emotional movie that kept me interested throughout. Plus Rosario Dawson is hot.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:46 AM   #4251
vapid
Paranoid Android

Pretty strong adaptation of the original novel. They portray each character quite well, especially the Trinity. However, some things that bothered me:

-The stupid romantic subplot with J'ohnn and Rose wilson
-Superman really didn't team up Flash and GL? they have the most chemistry aside from Supes and Batman.
- The superhero clans in the altverse was cool, kind of similar to twilight of the heroes. I wish they explored that more.
- Firestorm used his powers like a retard.

Still it was very well done. The Wonder Woman v. Super Woman fight was especially nice.

8/10
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #4252
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

This film was about 20-30 minutes of extra fleshing-out of some relationships from being a complete classic. As it is, it's close to a masterpiece; the acting is terrific. The way Guy Pearce's outlaw brothers contrast being completely normal, almost emphathetic (Arthur Burns' soliloquy on love, his youngest bro's misunderstanding of a 'misanthrope' and his soulful Irish singing reminiscent of a young choirboy) with complete psychosis.

A very brutal, unflinching film that could have been elevated to legendary status had it stopped to catch its breath a little more and continue with its character sketches and give more depth at certain points. It runs about an hour and a half but had it been made two hours with just a few more properly handled scenes, we are talking about a film on par with "Unforgiven" and other great Westerns.

As it is, it's one of the best films nobody has seen.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #4253
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Actually it is. I know several people IRL who didn't see it coming.
you must know some dummies then.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #4254
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen

This film was about 20-30 minutes of extra fleshing-out of some relationships from being a complete classic. As it is, it's close to a masterpiece; the acting is terrific. The way Guy Pearce's outlaw brothers contrast being completely normal, almost emphathetic (Arthur Burns' soliloquy on love, his youngest bro's misunderstanding of a 'misanthrope' and his soulful Irish singing reminiscent of a young choirboy) with complete psychosis.

A very brutal, unflinching film that could have been elevated to legendary status had it stopped to catch its breath a little more and continue with its character sketches and give more depth at certain points. It runs about an hour and a half but had it been made two hours with just a few more properly handled scenes, we are talking about a film on par with "Unforgiven" and other great Westerns.

yeah, this movie was great. not an alltime great, but a really well done film. IIRC its now on netflix instant.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #4255
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
Naw, just people who aren't into movies as much as some of us, aren't capable of recognizing red herrings, and unreliable narrators. No need to be condescending.

I saw The Proposition recently too. It was pretty good. I wish his brother was given more screen time; he made for a very interesting character.
Actually, both of his psychotic brothers had the potential to be very deep and very interesting characters, instead of just villains with snippets of scenes devoted to their 'other' side.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #4256
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Naw, just people who aren't into movies as much as some of us, aren't capable of recognizing red herrings, and unreliable narrators. No need to be condescending.

I saw The Proposition recently too. It was pretty good. I wish his brother was given more screen time; he made for a very interesting character.
yeah, both of the brothers could have used a better character development.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #4257
Rizko
Celtics Fan

Currently downloading The Proposition. If I don't like it I'm going to have to kill the 3 of you (boozehound, johndeer, shannon) and everyone you've ever been in contact with, so for your sake I better be impressed.
Rizko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #4258
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

The Runaways.

Eh. Pretty average, I guess.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #4259
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen

I'm gonna find this this week.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #4260
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

I've tried to watch that twice and was interrupted both times.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: