Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #4336
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Hitchcock is my favorite director. Psycho definitely isn't a wrong one. I like it the most out of all of his movies. My only problem is that they overexplained the movie at the end, which wasn't really needed. If you don't end up liking Rear Window, Vertigo, Frenzy, North by Northwest, The Man Who Knew Too Much, etc... then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe try one of his earlier movies like The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes or Blackmail.

North by Northwest, Vertigo, and Rear Window are for me the trinity of his stuff.

I actually really liked Rope. And I usually suggest Strangers on a Train as well.

I know other people who've felt Psycho was a bit cliched, but that's because it became that way after the fact from it's imitators. And when you know the general story, you lose that connection to Bates as a sympathetic character at the beginning. And the Janet Liegh murder has so little shock value now knowing it's coming because it's such an iconic scened, but if you let yourself get hooked into that first act where the movie appears to be about her stealing the money, then you can really feel that shock value again, even disregarding the fact that she was a big star at the time.

Hitchcock has a litany of smoking hot women too that he used over the years, and he really knows how to show them off in spite of the customs of the era. There's almost a fetish quality to his stuff that I maybe dig more than I should.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #4337
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Hitchcock is my favorite director. Psycho definitely isn't a wrong one. I like it the most out of all of his movies. My only problem is that they overexplained the movie at the end, which wasn't really needed. If you don't end up liking Rear Window, Vertigo, Frenzy, North by Northwest, The Man Who Knew Too Much, etc... then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe try one of his earlier movies like The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes or Blackmail.

Have you ever seen The Lodger. I've never seen it and want to, but I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble of tracking down a late 20's silent movie. But it's still Hitchcock and it's Jack the Ripper. It seems like something I'd be into.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #4338
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobs
it was my favourite of the three, and there were parts i liked, but going into it already knowing the general story just left me feeling like i was watching one giant cliche. i wouldn't at all call it a bad movie and i remember loving that iconic score more than i expected i would (having heard it before hand), but it didn't live up to the hype.

maybe i should peep the van sant / vince vaughn remake. lol

oh, and i don't remember any screaming in 'echoes'. is it throughout the whole song? something rings a bell shortly before the bizarro four minute avant garde bullsh*t, but i might just be making that up.

it's right after the funky bit when it goes into the spacey part, it's in the right channel
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:50 AM   #4339
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
ridonks

Quote:
they were just being silly - it's me. how're things gentlemen?

you have been sorely missed
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:08 AM   #4340
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Have you ever seen The Lodger. I've never seen it and want to, but I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble of tracking down a late 20's silent movie. But it's still Hitchcock and it's Jack the Ripper. It seems like something I'd be into.

Yeah, I've seen it. It's not a bad movie, but not really something I'd recommend on its own. I'd recommend something like: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...YNB4CGJQZPC2BZ where you get that movie plus 8 others.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:41 AM   #4341
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbot
Invictus. 6/10.

i was pretty disappointed. i didn't even realize they had won the game when they did. i had a hard time following what exactly was going on during the game parts of the movie.

same.

some of the scenes just didn't work, some were too short and others were to long. there was one where you see mandela dancing with a woman and telling her she was beautiful and it changes to a 4 second scene where we see the head security guy sleeping on a bed. what was the point of either of them?

morgan freeman did a good job as usual but matt damon was a little stiff, he's also 10 years old than francois was at the time too (it wasn't that obvious, but as a rugby fan i could tell).
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:03 AM   #4342
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

saw the Jaws marathon on July 4th

Jaws - A

a true classic that holds up very well today.

Jaws 2 - B-

an ok sequel with some decent jump scares. clearly a lesser film but Roy Scheider holds it together.

Jaws 3D - C

this movie is tough to rate. Its quite campy and has a so bad its good feeling. The ridiculous 3D shots add to the hilarity. Just don't take this one seriously and its fun. Lia Thompson, Dennis Quaid, Louis Gossett Jr and the mother from My So Called Life star. There is also a pretty deep bromance going on with the photographer and his Aussie buddy.

Jaws the Revenge - D

A strange entry. They seem to being ignoring the third movie entirely and go for a supernatural like take with the sharks hunting the Brody family. It seems the movie wants to be a more serious character study of the mother and son. However, as straight as most of the movie plays it, many scenes with the shark are such a dramatic shift in tone they ruin the rest of the movie. The shark roars and explodes when a boat rams it of all things. I don't understand why the main film is playing it straight but the shark stuff is so off. Mario Van Peebles living after getting shredded at the end makes it that much worse. Micheal Caine is pretty good though. You also get the dude from The Last Starfighter in a starring role so there's that I guess.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #4343
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
saw the Jaws marathon on July 4th

Jaws - A

a true classic that holds up very well today.

Jaws 2 - B-

an ok sequel with some decent jump scares. clearly a lesser film but Roy Scheider holds it together.

Jaws 3D - C

this movie is tough to rate. Its quite campy and has a so bad its good feeling. The ridiculous 3D shots add to the hilarity. Just don't take this one seriously and its fun. Lia Thompson, Dennis Quaid, Louis Gossett Jr and the mother from My So Called Life star. There is also a pretty deep bromance going on with the photographer and his Aussie buddy.

Jaws the Revenge - D

A strange entry. They seem to being ignoring the third movie entirely and go for a supernatural like take with the sharks hunting the Brody family. It seems the movie wants to be a more serious character study of the mother and son. However, as straight as most of the movie plays it, many scenes with the shark are such a dramatic shift in tone they ruin the rest of the movie. The shark roars and explodes when a boat rams it of all things. I don't understand why the main film is playing it straight but the shark stuff is so off. Mario Van Peebles living after getting shredded at the end makes it that much worse. Micheal Caine is pretty good though. You also get the dude from The Last Starfighter in a starring role so there's that I guess.

excellent assesment.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #4344
ROCSteady
Wall*Kobe*Durant*Pau*

ROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableROCSteady is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

RIDONKS IS MY DUDE

The Deer Hunter 97/100

WOW. De Niro is my favorite for a reason. Cazale and Walken excellent as always too
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #4345
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

I was dissapointed by Deer Hunter. Did they really need an hour of wedding footage? They couldn't edit that a little bit? And I didn't know russian roulette would be used so many times, I thought it lessened the impact of the "game" after the 3rd or 4th time.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #4346
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah, it was too slow to get rolling. But I think the point was to show the vast divide between being at home and being at war.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #4347
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Hotlantadude81 has decent reputation

Badlands (1973)

Terrence Malick's debut Badlands is a great film made at the right time. The 70's was a time for some experimental and often times unforgiven gritty film-making. The story of a James Dean wannabe going on a crime spree with his young under aged girlfriend is just perfect. Simply put, this is like a simple, but complex poem. Why does Kit seek this lifestyle? Did he grow up with bad parents? Was he bored? Cold-hearted? The questions that you often see answered in these type of movies are never given here. Instead, Terrence Malick allows us to view the journey and the crimes to make up our own mind.

I like to think that Kit is simply rapped up in the outlaw image and lifestyle, and he simply doesn't know or have anything else in his life. And his new girlfriend 15 year old Holly is bored and ignorant to the world. And Amongst the killing is the story of a girl who goes from pure innocence and ignorance, to growing into a woman that understands there is more to life than what Kit seeks. Naturally the paring can only last so long. They travel across the country and explore beautiful nature. They kill their own food, and they build a makeshift tree hut for them to temporary life in. But the law increases it's pursuit as the film goes along and journey must come to and end.

But it's a thrilling ride. This is easily Malick's most accessible film, but that's not a bad thing. It's a brilliantly written art film with a brisk 1 hr 40 min running time. While the cinematography is outstanding, it's clearly Malick's least polished effort. But what really makes this film so great is the performances of Sheen and Spacek and the narration is probably the best and most clear of Terrence Malick's films.

9/10

Five Easy Pieces (1970)

I'll be the first one to say that I love a good character study film. Five Easy Pieces comes off as a very interesting film if you read a decent Plot Synopsis of it. But sadly, it's not a movie that will stayed with me after watching it. It's very much a film of it's time and there are some things to appreciate.

Nicholson gives a very solid performance and there are a few scenes that spark some interest. Surprisingly, there is almost no sentimental value to be had here. Like Badlands, the story is told with an almost impartial view. The film doesn't go the extra lengths to force us to hate the Robert Eroica character, but it doesn't give us any real reason to like him either.

So the whole film feels like a collection of scenes that don't really carry any emotional weight. Character development is also nowhere to be found. You can pretty much watch half this movie and figure out everything you need to know. Despite the performances of Jack and Karen Black as the unwanted girlfriend, the script just lacks meat and real substance.

I really had some high homes for this, and I can somewhat relate to Nicholson's character, but you still need some scenes that carry some kind of impact and this film just doesn't have enough of them. It surely doesn't stand up with great character studies like Taxi Driver and There Will Be Blood.

5/10
Hotlantadude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #4348
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

8.5 / 10

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #4349
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
what did you end up thinking of this lebowski (assuming you're still around)? now that you toss out the comparison, it did have a lot of 'clockwork' in it. a perfect depiction of the coherent thoughts of a lunatic. i need to rewatch it.

i remember half hoping the lead would be considered for best actor as i left, before i told my friend who gave me a 'you gotta be kidding me' look. too small time. still an extraordinarily captivating performance though.
Been awhile so it's not too fresh but I remember thinking pretty favorably of it. Probably something like a 7/10. I dug the sort of performance art pieces they used with the lead in full makeup to depict his violent side as his alter-ego, so to speak. The lead really was very good, you're probably right that it was too small scale a movie to get a nomination, but shit, Richard Jenkins got a nom. for The Visitor that year (I think). He was easily better than Jenkins in that, and I'm a pretty big fan of Jenkins.

I'd definitely recommend it.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #4350
East_Stone_Ya
Gentleman Desperado

East_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

8/10

East_Stone_Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: