Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #4381
PistolPete
The Pistol

PistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Surrogates - 5/10

A repeated concept that works well if not done for the big screen, rather a TV show. I am late is realizing that TV programming nowadays is by far better than what Hollywood produces for the big screen.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #4382
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

C+

hmm.... I do not care for the retconning going on in the X-Men series. Why the hell were Cyclops, Storm and Toad shoehorned into this? Why would they not remember the man with the metal claws? None of the kids he saves remember him when Xavier welcomes him in? Couldn't they at least have made Sabertooth blond so he matches better in X1? I don't like what they did with Deadpool, especially when Ryan Reynolds is a good choice for the merc with a mouth.

Some of the special effects were painfully bad. Why the hell do Wolverines claws look like such ass? They looked more like the singing sword from Roger Rabbit than they did his claws from the first flick.

will.i.am was completely useless and is devoid of acting talent. I have no clue how he was cast in this.

The action scenes were ok but they were about as lifeless as the ones in X3. The final confrontation was meh. For some reason, it feels going into Wolverines backstory makes him a bit less interesting.

On the plus side, Hugh Jackman and Liev Schreiber were pretty good. Its just too bad the script was mindless.

Last edited by kentatm : 07-20-2010 at 03:27 PM.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #4383
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

SayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
accounting for differences in taste.

this is inherently problematic.

i rated a movie highly that i enjoyed because i'm a big fan of the genre and i thought the movie excelled in terms of direction, plot, and general over the top creative violence. it had elements of takashi miike's gozu and robert rodriguez's planet terror. both stand out movies imho that i can't get enough of.

i saw inception last saturday and it was pretty sweet, but i was more into machine girl. personal preference. i'll remember and revere the sushi/finger scene long after i've forgotten about the zero gravity hotel hallway.

doesn't mean my taste is any better or worse than anyone's or that i don't understand how the numbers 0-10 work :rollseyes:. just means i have my own subjective taste.
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #4384
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayTownRy
this is inherently problematic.

i rated a movie highly that i enjoyed because i'm a big fan of the genre and i thought the movie excelled in terms of direction, plot, and general over the top creative violence. it had elements of takashi miike's gozu and robert rodriguez's planet terror. both stand out movies imho that i can't get enough of.

i saw inception last saturday and it was pretty sweet, but i was more into machine girl. personal preference. i'll remember and revere the sushi/finger scene long after i've forgotten about the zero gravity hotel hallway.

doesn't mean my taste is any better or worse than anyone's or that i don't understand how the numbers 0-10 work :rollseyes:. just means i have my own subjective taste.
sure, and from your perspective, the machine girl is one of the best movies you have ever seen? Not questioning your taste/judgment, just genuinely surprised.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #4385
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

SayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
sure, and from your perspective, the machine girl is one of the best movies you have ever seen? Not questioning your taste/judgment, just genuinely surprised.

yeah, as far as movies i'd deem 9/10.

how surprising that is would be somewhat contingent upon how many movies i personally have ranked 10/10, 9/10, 8/10...

i may have 40 or 50 movies i'd consider 10/10. maybe 60 or 75 i'd say are 9/10... even more 8/10... seen a good few movies in my day. these numbers might even be a conservative outlook...
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #4386
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayTownRy
yeah, as far as movies i'd deem 9/10.

how surprising that is would be somewhat contingent upon how many movies i personally have ranked 10/10, 9/10, 8/10...

i may have 40 or 50 movies i'd consider 10/10. maybe 60 or 75 i'd say are 9/10... even more 8/10... seen a good few movies in my day. these numbers might even be a conservative outlook...
wow, I think I have about 15 movies tops that are 10s. to me, a great movie is anywhere from 7-9.5
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #4387
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation

yeah if you're going to use a 10 point scale, then i think the full scale should be used and ratings should be spread evenly.

a 9 is in the 90th percentile/top 10% of all the movies i've ever watched
8 in the 80th/top 20%, and so on.

--

that said i watched house of the devil the other night. i absolutely loved the look and feel of the movie, and i almost wish it wasn't a horror movie. something about that late 70s-mid 80s feel of movies fascinates me. as slow as it was, i would've enjoyed it had it not had that final act in favor of a more psychological approach.

5/10
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #4388
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

^^^^ was this a recent film, think i heard really good things about it. that, trick r treat and triangle are three recent horros i havent seen but heard are excellent.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #4389
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
^^^^ was this a recent film, think i heard really good things about it. that, trick r treat and triangle are three recent horros i havent seen but heard are excellent.

yes, it came out last year. it's set in the 80s, '83 i think. the film stock, production, dialogue...pretty much everything really, was done to emulate 80s films.

i don't watch a lot of horror movies so i figured it'd be a change of pace. and i liked it, didn't mind the slow pace at all. it might bore some people with no attention span.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #4390
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47DR91
Personally, I think it's the best Kurosawa film but it's underrated by the general masses.

I don't think it's a top 5 Kurosawa film.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #4391
ivogetghost

law abiding citizens 10/10
wow i loved this movie so much i couldnt explain
Old 07-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #4392
jasonresno
Banned

jasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjasonresno is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Inception: 10/10

Movie of the year.
jasonresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #4393
LA KB24
LAL|LAC

LA KB24 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivogetghost
law abiding citizens 10/10
wow i loved this movie so much i couldnt explain
I actually just finished watching it this morning.

Awesome thriller, just didn't really like the ending. :|
I'd give it a 8.2/10
LA KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:26 PM   #4394
PistolPete
The Pistol

PistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA KB24
I actually just finished watching it this morning.

Awesome thriller, just didn't really like the ending. :|
I'd give it a 8.2/10

Way too high for that movie. It had potential, but failed miserably.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #4395
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

law abiding citizen was a complete turd of a film.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: