Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-25-2010, 06:35 AM   #4381
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

I just watched Shutter Island. I loved it.

I like when a movie evokes emotion and when Leo's character sees his kids in the water lifeless I have to say my eyes kinda got watery man I couldn't imagine anyone doing that to my boy I would have went crazy too.

I like how the plot panned out and the acting was great as well.

4/5 stars.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #4382
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

7.5/10

Jeff Bridges plays a fairly convincing drunk. Pretty good soundtrack. A lot of the plot is predictable and a little corny. Colin Ferrell does a convincing job as a country star although his Irish accent comes out at times.

Oh and Maggie Gyllenhall can get it, again, and again...

Last edited by rufuspaul : 08-25-2010 at 08:08 AM.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #4383
kentatm
NBA Legend

The Insider - 9.5/10

F-ck big tobacco, f-ck big corporations, f-ck spineless media companies that kowtow to the big companies over fear of lost $$$

Great flick and a true story. Crowe plays a whistle blower on big tobacco for the horse shit they were pulling. Studies to hook very young kids, blocking info about heath risks etc etc etc. Pacino plays a news producer that wants to blow the story open but runs into corporate assholes who would rather protect their bottom line than tell people the truth. What's sad is there are probably several industries that act ten times worse than big tobacco.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #4384
ZeN
Stormblessed

The Insider is soooo underrated.

Pacino and Crowe give stellar performances and the script was so sharp with dramatical impact...
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #4385
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

not to mention a master class in direction/editing and score.

the insider= masterpiece.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #4386
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Alright, I just finished watching Synecdoche New York, and it has confirmed a couple of things in my mind. One: Kaufman may very well be the best movie writer of his generation, or close to it. Two: Philip Seymour-Hoffman may very well be the best actor of his generation, or close to it.
The movie touched me deeply. It was very beautiful in many different ways, and the reflections on trascendent matters it inspired in me will keep my mind busy for quite some time. I find it hard to believe it's Kaufman's first movie as a director. Brilliant work from all the actors and actresses too. 9.5/10, or maybe even a 10, I don't know.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:13 PM   #4387
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
I personally didn't care too much for Synecdoche. Not a bad movie by any means, to me it just felt a bit like a pretentious circle jerk; ambitious solely for the sake of being ambitious, and to serve no other purpose. I would definitely take Eternal Sunshine and Being John Malkovich over it any day of the week, though I have been meaning to watch it again.

And yeah, The Insider was great. It's a shame so few people seem to have seen it.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. The movie reflects about topics that interest me and about which I myselft often reflect. The storytelling was brilliant, in my opinion, the way the plot unfolds and sinks you deeper and deeper into Hoffman's character and psyche really got me into it. The music went very well with the story, unnoticed for the most part and moving when it needed to be. Maybe I've liked it so much because, in a way, it reminds me of Kafka's (who happens to be my favourite writer) universe and storytelling, despite the many differences. Or maybe I'm getting more sensitive as I grow older, I don't know. Either way I loved it. Eternal sunshine is next on my list.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:58 AM   #4388
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky
In my opinion they were strongly overreacting. I can undertand overly sensitive chicks feeling like that, but that movie is plain garbage. Not scary, not entertaining, poorly acted... It is nice for a low budget, opera prima movie, but judged solely as a movie it sucks big time.
Btw, I just watched The Box, and I found it bad, but pretty entertaining. I still can't understand how Cameron Diaz became an actress though.

It's a completely objective thing. Many people are only into the gore fest flicks or into loud startling scares and such. But this movie follows the more creepy understated kind of scare. It just depends on whether or not you can suspend your disbelief and put yourself in the situation.

The Box was is terrible. I had just seen Numbers (is that right? The Nic Cage movie?) and I was telling my friend, "Dude, this movie has the most ludicrous plot I've seen in a long time." and he looked at me and laughed and said, "Watch The Box."

Ahh and Diaz's accent!
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #4389
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
It's a completely objective thing. Many people are only into the gore fest flicks or into loud startling scares and such. But this movie follows the more creepy understated kind of scare. It just depends on whether or not you can suspend your disbelief and put yourself in the situation.

The Box was is terrible. I had just seen Numbers (is that right? The Nic Cage movie?) and I was telling my friend, "Dude, this movie has the most ludicrous plot I've seen in a long time." and he looked at me and laughed and said, "Watch The Box."

Ahh and Diaz's accent!

all true, but watch salt then get back to me.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #4390
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Am I the only person in the world that felt that Dog Day Afternoon was/is incredibly overrated?
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #4391
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

I just watched The Fountain, encouraged by ukplayer's many praises. It is a very good movie, good to see there's still place for artistic works in today's decadent (for the most part) movie industry. It took me from the start to the end without looking at my watch once, which is more than I can say about most movies.
The script is rather poetic and very well written, and I loved the way the different time planes are intertwined with each other. From an aesthetic point of view, the movie is superb. Photography is awesome, it is obvious that a lot of care was put into it. The acting was good, I hadn't seen any of Jackman's movies prior to this (apart from X-men), and I must confess and my image of him as an actor wasn't very accurate. Rachel Weisz was just gorgeous as always, and she can definitely act too.
The only thing I slightly disliked about the movie was the feeling I got at some points that the director was putting aesthetics over substance, but that only happened twice or thrice, and is a completely subjective appreciation.
8.8/10
Old 08-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #4392
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Am I the only person in the world that felt that Dog Day Afternoon was/is incredibly overrated?
no, my wife agrees with you.

also, I gotta say, I liked batman begins better than the dark knight (going back to my last post in here)
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #4393
BRabbiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements

that looks really good.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #4394
FCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
all true, but watch salt then get back to me.

Salt was very good I thought. I watched it just a few nights ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Last movie I watched was "Black Death"

It was not the best movie ever, but it's decent overall, and worth a watch if you're bored one night. If you are a history buff like me you will probably find it interesting if nothing else.

Last edited by FCN : 08-26-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:59 AM   #4395
Hibachi!
bosh gave me my jacket

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
8/10

Hilarious movie, doesn't make sense at times but i guess that's how its supposed to be. The video game humor is hilarious if you're sorta nerdy like that. Overall an awesome movie, a must see if you are sort of a gamer or you just like michael cera.

The Maiden Heist
7/10

Weird movie, but kinda cool how Morgan Freeman and Christopher Walken play nice old guys who steal paintings. If you're bored give it a watch.
Hibachi! is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: