Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-27-2010, 12:59 AM   #4396
Hibachi!
bosh gave me my jacket

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
8/10

Hilarious movie, doesn't make sense at times but i guess that's how its supposed to be. The video game humor is hilarious if you're sorta nerdy like that. Overall an awesome movie, a must see if you are sort of a gamer or you just like michael cera.

The Maiden Heist
7/10

Weird movie, but kinda cool how Morgan Freeman and Christopher Walken play nice old guys who steal paintings. If you're bored give it a watch.
Hibachi! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:05 AM   #4397
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky
I just watched The Fountain, encouraged by ukplayer's many praises. It is a very good movie, good to see there's still place for artistic works in today's decadent (for the most part) movie industry. It took me from the start to the end without looking at my watch once, which is more than I can say about most movies.
The script is rather poetic and very well written, and I loved the way the different time planes are intertwined with each other. From an aesthetic point of view, the movie is superb. Photography is awesome, it is obvious that a lot of care was put into it. The acting was good, I hadn't seen any of Jackman's movies prior to this (apart from X-men), and I must confess and my image of him as an actor wasn't very accurate. Rachel Weisz was just gorgeous as always, and she can definitely act too.
The only thing I slightly disliked about the movie was the feeling I got at some points that the director was putting aesthetics over substance, but that only happened twice or thrice, and is a completely subjective appreciation.
8.8/10

glad you enjoyed it, also possibly my all time favorite original score.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:48 AM   #4398
ZeN
Stormblessed

The Fountain is sooo underrated..

Its like visual poetry..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:03 AM   #4399
plowking
Verticle?

Just watched Flightplan and Judge Dredd recently.

Flightplan - First time watching it, and I remember at the time it came out that I thought it'd be a movie I like. Just that type of mystery in a sense much like Shutter Island and Sixth Sense, in the sense that anything could be the answer. Funnily enough it turned out nothing like that. Unlike the other two where I had little to no evidence of what would occur (with Shutter Island less so, though it was interesting as it showed the progression of the result) this one was blatantly predictable from the moment the characters stepped on the plane.
Saying that though, I'm a sucker for these type of mysteries and for that reason I'd probably give it a score of 60% even though it was quite lame.

Judge Dredd - haven't watched this in like 10 years, and had completely forgotten the whole back story, etc, even though from my last viewing I remember there was something I liked about it. And as soon as it started I could see why I liked it back then since it was that futuristic, grimy type setting much like Fifth Element and Blade Runner (early scenes) that I loved. I wish there was more movies set in this type of environment, because there's something about it that completely enthrals me.
Anyway, the movie itself was solid. Much like most superhero movies the dialogue was not all that great and had the typical cheesy lines and overacting though I think its something most look fondly on now in a nostalgic type way.
Anyway, it's your typical Stallone or superhero movie, and I loved it.

80%.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #4400
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Am I the only person in the world that felt that Dog Day Afternoon was/is incredibly overrated?
I do lean towards your opinion of it.

Much of it is unrealistic.. particularly when compared to the actual event that it was based on. Its filled with a heap of inaccuracies. Most changes were made to give it heart and play up to the mainstream audience.

The acting was great but the story, I wasn't in love with.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #4401
Dasher
NBA Superstar

81%
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #4402
BRabbiT

3.5/5
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:30 AM   #4403
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Scott Pilgrim vs the World. 8.5/10

Hilarious for people who grew up in the 80's or 90's. References/humor pertaining to gamer culture. Also for fans of Arrested Development and indie type films.

The Expendables 7.5/10

For what it is, it's a pretty fun watch. I wouldn't watch it more than once or twice. But it is what it is and it's cool seeing all the action stars.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:23 AM   #4404
Fatal9
owwwww

Animal Kingdom - 7/10

Very good crime drama from Australia. It's a more realistic portrayal of your typical crime family. Doesn't exaggerate or glorify the criminal life, in fact the realism is almost a bit discomforting. I enjoyed most of the characters, felt like it was the biggest strength of the film. It was hard to completely understand or point out their motivations which gave them more layered and realistic personalities (the grandma was really interesting, might have to watch the film again to understand her character better in case I missed something).

While I enjoyed it, the film had some flaws. The entire premise felt a bit petty or incomplete to me (for a two hour film). Thought it could have benefited from including some key scenes at the end. The acting by the main character was pretty awful. It was poor enough that it got in the way of his character for me. There were also way too many unnecessary slow motion shots too which kinda tilted me throughout.
Fatal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:53 PM   #4405
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

the expendables- some nice touches but meh, dissapointing 6/10

scott pilgrim vs the world- well, highly irritating try hard (much like whip it, which is of a similar ilk) but not as irritating as the trailer suggests, some nice ideas and certainly funny in places but cera's last effort- youth in revolt- pisses all over this.
7.5/10
Old 08-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #4406
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Took my younger sisters to see "The Other Guys" on the weekend. Definitely Ferrell's best effort in a looong time and was surprisingly decent. Funny beginning and ending, but a serious laugh-free lull in the middle and as always some of Ferrell's scenes/gags run WAY too long, but overall, not bad.

63%.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #4407
Riddler
D-94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
The Fountain is sooo underrated..

Its like visual poetry..

more like occult/illuminati symbolism.

WTF happened in that movie?
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #4408
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler
more like occult/illuminati symbolism.

wtf are you babbling about?

Quote:
WTF happened in that movie?

yes, exactly.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #4409
JohnWall2
JOHN WALL ALLDAYERRDAY

almost every movie is an 8 here
JohnWall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:39 AM   #4410
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWall2
almost every movie is an 8 here

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: