Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #4441
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

on the blind side...

this guy sean tuohy took in oher, he is the grizzlies' tv color guy for fox sports.

he obviously hated the movie. he had to miss games to do press, attend the premiere, and every time he got back, pete pranica (the play by play) would always rib him about it, and it was all he could do to keep from going on a rant.

and the movie was AWFUL. i think it is indeed deserving a 1/10. i disagree with the notion that you can't compare a big budget flick with decent actors and great production values to crap like 2 a.m. showtime movies. it's not an 'all-things equal' situation; you have to factor in the huge gap in resources/money and the different creative goals of the respective projects (not here to argue, i understand the other viewpoint as well).
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #4442
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

just judging the movie, like i've said is a 1/10, maybe on a good day

it's an unbelievable piece of shit, bad acting, mediocre story, etc
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #4443
BRabbiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
.. Gordon Gekko is a ****ing great character.

+1

Martin Sheen did a great job, too (imo)
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #4444
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
on the blind side...

this guy sean tuohy took in oher, he is the grizzlies' tv color guy for fox sports.

he obviously hated the movie. he had to miss games to do press, attend the premiere, and every time he got back, pete pranica (the play by play) would always rib him about it, and it was all he could do to keep from going on a rant.

and the movie was AWFUL. i think it is indeed deserving a 1/10. i disagree with the notion that you can't compare a big budget flick with decent actors and great production values to crap like 2 a.m. showtime movies. it's not an 'all-things equal' situation; you have to factor in the huge gap in resources/money and the different creative goals of the respective projects (not here to argue, i understand the other viewpoint as well).

Fair enough. I guess there's just an ideological difference at work here. I try to judge ALL art on an even keel. For instance, I would never knock a painting by a rich guy down because he had all the tools at his disposal and the painting still felt mediocre to me.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #4445
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Fair enough. I guess there's just an ideological difference at work here. I try to judge ALL art on an even keel. For instance, I would never knock a painting by a rich guy down because he had all the tools at his disposal and the painting still felt mediocre to me.
Paintings have a lot smaller capital investment to quality ratio
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #4446
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
Paintings have a lot smaller capital investment to quality ratio

On the flipside of that, there have been many excellent low-budget movies. If you knock a film down, for having a higher budget and failing to meet expectations, do you conversely raise a film up if it's low-budget and exceeds expectations?
Old 07-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #4447
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
On the flipside of that, there have been many excellent low-budget movies. If you knock a film down, for having a higher budget and failing to meet expectations, do you conversely raise a film up if it's low-budget and exceeds expectations?
I would praise a film for utilizing its budget very effectively. (I think District 9 was a good example of that) And I would also take into consideration if a big budge movie utilized its budget very inefficiently. Its just kind of silly to use painting as an analogy though.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #4448
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Maybe that was a bad example, but I'm just trying to put it into terms that might make my thought process more relateable. District 9 did use its budget very well, but I'd hardly call it low-budget. Can't remember exactly off the top of my head, but I think it still cost something like 35 million to make. I'm thinking more along the lines of The Following, Primer, and Rogue. I enjoyed all three, but wouldn't rate them more highly due their low budgets.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:01 AM   #4449
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
just judging the movie, like i've said is a 1/10, maybe on a good day

it's an unbelievable piece of shit, bad acting, mediocre story, etc

It has to be a million times better in every area than a movie like Plan 9 from Outer Space outside of unintentional humor.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:07 AM   #4450
JimmyConway
****in Morrie

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE
9.5/10
i'm singin in the rain..just singinn in the rainnn
JimmyConway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:34 AM   #4451
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Catch Me If You Can

8/10

Loved it. Dicaprio was amazing in the film. Hanks, Walken and Sheen were all great aswell. Although Sheen only had a minor role. Dicaprio and Hanks were brilliant together.

Thought the way they ended it was a bit sudden and quite undramatic for a film like this, but then again, I guess that's a good thing when compared to many adaptations that are altered to make for a more dramatic ending. Either way, it was a great film.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #4452
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

I saw Inception last night. I'm giving it somewhere low to mid 80s.

My main issues with it are a few. For one, I don't like the quick cut, close up takes on action sequences, and that was done a bit too much for my taste. And secondly, while I appreciated the complexity of the plot, I think it'd be an understatement to call it a bit convoluted. It felt to me like this could have been a sequel to a movie that was already done in a more simple structure, and this expanded on that. Like the original would've never gone into the dream within a dream, layer upon layer, and that way this could've proceded more naturally. It often felt like they were stopping to explain to the audience what was happening and why, which to me wound up feeling like why it was 2.5 hours long. Like the contruct of the dreams like a maze ... you have to do it because it keeps the subconcious from easily getting at us. The entire teaching sequence of Ellen Page's character all felt like a flimsy mechanic to get the audience up to speed with the rules of the world they were trying to get you into. And for me it never felt natural.

And it felt like that right up to the main excursion where they start introducing limbo. It made it hard to feel the tension because they're up against constructs that they're introducing as they're happening for the most part. The Matrix, which I know this gets compared to often, at least had a certain degree of religious iconography it was working with, which gave the audience at least some common ground to stand on, even if it was in fact (ahem) subconcious.

All that said, it's an excellent watch. I look forward to seeing it again, and I have a feeling it will be better with more viewings, once you can stop trying to keep track of all the rules they're setting in place, and follow it more naturally. It's a monster undertaking, and it's wildly creative both in it's narrative and visually. The paradoxes were really fun. And the zero G hallway was some of the more interesting stuff I've seen in recent years.

Excellent for a summertime action flick with some creative psychological elements in it. But I'm unwilling to call it great.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #4453
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

just saw alice in wonderland last night. I really liked it for the first hour or so. The ending was really weak and sort of took all the steam out of it for me. As usual for Timmy B, very cool visuals and costumes. I didnt really care for alice or the white queen, but enjoyed the rest of the ensemble.
overall, somewhere around a 6.5/10.

gonna watch youth in revolt tonight.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #4454
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

64%

Solid film. Its critiques of French Film are sound, and presented in an amusing manner. I did not find myself rolling my eyes, as I often do during Romantic Comedies. I would recommend it to those who are tired of watching The Notebook and Love and Basketball when they are kicking it with their old ladies or men.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:51 PM   #4455
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I saw Inception last night. I'm giving it somewhere low to mid 80s.

My main issues with it are a few. For one, I don't like the quick cut, close up takes on action sequences, and that was done a bit too much for my taste. And secondly, while I appreciated the complexity of the plot, I think it'd be an understatement to call it a bit convoluted. It felt to me like this could have been a sequel to a movie that was already done in a more simple structure, and this expanded on that. Like the original would've never gone into the dream within a dream, layer upon layer, and that way this could've proceded more naturally. It often felt like they were stopping to explain to the audience what was happening and why, which to me wound up feeling like why it was 2.5 hours long. Like the contruct of the dreams like a maze ... you have to do it because it keeps the subconcious from easily getting at us. The entire teaching sequence of Ellen Page's character all felt like a flimsy mechanic to get the audience up to speed with the rules of the world they were trying to get you into. And for me it never felt natural.

And it felt like that right up to the main excursion where they start introducing limbo. It made it hard to feel the tension because they're up against constructs that they're introducing as they're happening for the most part. The Matrix, which I know this gets compared to often, at least had a certain degree of religious iconography it was working with, which gave the audience at least some common ground to stand on, even if it was in fact (ahem) subconcious.

All that said, it's an excellent watch. I look forward to seeing it again, and I have a feeling it will be better with more viewings, once you can stop trying to keep track of all the rules they're setting in place, and follow it more naturally. It's a monster undertaking, and it's wildly creative both in it's narrative and visually. The paradoxes were really fun. And the zero G hallway was some of the more interesting stuff I've seen in recent years.

Excellent for a summertime action flick with some creative psychological elements in it. But I'm unwilling to call it great.
The quick cuts right into the middle of the action served the purpose of making every scene seem like a dream, since you don't know how they got to that particular scene.

I didn't think it was that convoluted either. You have a lot of exposition but at least for me it was interesting learning the rules of their dream reality and they explained it clearly enough that even if you didn't understand all of it you understood enough to be entertained and understand the motives for each action.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: