Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-05-2010, 04:59 AM   #4516
Andrei89
#HEATNATION

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Crazy Heart

7/10

Good performance by Jeff Bridges. i loved him more in Lebowsky tho.

Can't see why he he won the Oscar tho. I liked Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela more.

Ovrl a good movie to watch with your GF , not a movie to watch alone .
Andrei89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:02 AM   #4517
momo
Value Ape.

Watched Bamboozled again & still love it. I wish Damon Wayans was a little bit more subtle with his "Harvard ness" but whatever. Great movie.
9/10

momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:33 AM   #4518
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

I thought Suspiria was a masterpiece, but hey. Yes, the acting is less than stellar, but everything else makes up for it. Argento was all about overall mood me thinks in the early days. Suspiria sound effects and score was nothing short or brilliant I thought, but I can understand if you didn't like it.

Argento is one of those directors that deserves multiple viewings. He's someone you start off from the beginning and work you way through his collection. I started to do that last summer but never finished. One day.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:43 AM   #4519
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Yeah, it definitely set a mood and was quite atmospheric, but I just couldn't get past the acting. I've seen B movies with better acting. Was it intended to be like that for some reason? Artistic license? Like I said, I still enjoyed it, and thought the lightning, cinematography, and sound design(including the score) were all fantastic, but the horrid acting(that and the orange blood. lol) prevented me from ever really becoming immersed, except for when there was little to no dialog taking place. But as soon as they opened their mouths to speak...
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #4520
momo
Value Ape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Yeah, it definitely set a mood and was quite atmospheric, but I just couldn't get past the acting. I've seen B movies with better acting. Was it intended to be like that for some reason? Artistic license? Like I said, I still enjoyed it, and thought the lightning, cinematography, and sound design(including the score) were all fantastic, but the horrid acting(that and the orange blood. lol) prevented me from ever really becoming immersed, except for when there was little to no dialog taking place. But as soon as they opened their mouths to speak...

I doubt the acting was intended to be as bad as it is... part of it is the era it came out in and part was probably just dealing with limitations. A lot of old timey actors were... presentatious. I want that to be a word I think it is
momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #4521
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Mary and Max

Animated Australian film about a socially inept Australian girl who becomes pen-pals with a socially inept, mentally imbalanced American from New York. It's an unusual beast for an animated film. It's a sort of character study, replete with drama, adult themes(suicide, alcoholism, atheism, dysfunctional families, etc.) and fart jokes. The humor is really inconsistent: One moment the girl is referring to a guy who's afraid of going outside as a "homophobe"(you know, in confusion with the term 'Agoraphobia'), the next, a guy is farting in an elevator full of people and accidentally killing his gold fish with a blender. It's all over the place in that department.

There's a lot of narration, and at first I found it very grating, but after about 15 minutes I got used to it. The voice acting is pretty good, the score is fantastic(seriously, I'm going to look into downloading it - it's that good), and the animation was really good to boot. Here are some screens:

Ultimately I thought it was a really, really well-crafted film, with deep themes and sub-themes, a little held back by the sometimes sophomoric, crude humor.

7.5/10

Last edited by ShannonElements : 08-05-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:54 PM   #4522
"Jesus"
Short & Sweet

8/10
Very very good prison film. Definite tier down Shawshank and A Prophet, but it holds its own. Acting was superb besides one of their voices seemed forced and annoying, but whatever. Highly recommended.
"Jesus" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:06 AM   #4523
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Road Kill

This is an Australian movie about four friends driving across the Australian outback when they're wrecked by a big rig(or a "road train" as they apparently call them over there). Given the synopsis I read on iMDB, I expected them to be running away from a demonic big rig desperate for their lives for the entire movie. It was really nothing like that. Instead it's like a survival flick with a little bit of supernatural evil thrown in.

This movie tries really hard to be creepy, scary, and tense. And it fails on all levels. There is some gore, but that's easy to pull off. The acting is mediocre, some of the effects are laughable, and the plot is just silly at times.

It isn't all completely negative, though. The cinematography and sound design were OK, and the ending tied it all together fairly well. Still, don't bother with this one unless you're really bored.

Trailer

4/10
Old 08-06-2010, 02:06 AM   #4524
LBJMVP
Cavaliers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Thornton

poster speaks for itself

11/10

now that was a good movie.
LBJMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:27 AM   #4525
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus

8/10
Very very good prison film. Definite tier down Shawshank and A Prophet, but it holds its own. Acting was superb besides one of their voices seemed forced and annoying, but whatever. Highly recommended.
Which of the voices?
It's a great film.
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #4526
"Jesus"
Short & Sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains5000
Which of the voices?
It's a great film.

Malamadre's voice was a bit weird for me, but I'm just picky.
"Jesus" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:27 AM   #4527
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Flahpoint- 6/10

Same old same old plot. Same old same old dialogue. Nothing in this movie will surprise you. If you've seen any other Hong Kong police action movie this plot will be familiar.

Now why does it still get a 6? Because Donnie Yen is a phucking G! One of the best choreographers in martial arts today and maybe ever. Not to mention a fantastic fighter himself. The casting of the other fighting characters is great and the fights are outstanding.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:31 AM   #4528
Dasher
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Mary and Max

Animated Australian film about a socially inept Australian girl who becomes pen-pals with a socially inept, mentally imbalanced American from New York. It's an unusual beast for an animated film. It's a sort of character study, replete with drama, adult themes(suicide, alcoholism, atheism, dysfunctional families, etc.) and fart jokes. The humor is really inconsistent: One moment the girl is referring to a guy who's afraid of going outside as a "homophobe"(you know, in confusion with the term 'Agoraphobia'), the next, a guy is farting in an elevator full of people and accidentally killing his gold fish with a blender. It's all over the place in that department.

There's a lot of narration, and at first I found it very grating, but after about 15 minutes I got used to it. The voice acting is pretty good, the score is fantastic(seriously, I'm going to look into downloading it - it's that good), and the animation was really good to boot. Here are some screens:

Ultimately I thought it was a really, really well-crafted film, with deep themes and sub-themes, a little held back by the sometimes sophomoric, crude humor.

7.5/10

3/10 Shallow, boring, and unindearingly quirky.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:34 AM   #4529
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

If you found it boring and un-endearingly quirky I can understand that, but it certainly wasn't shallow, and you at least have to admit that the animation and score were pretty good.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:41 AM   #4530
Dasher
NBA Superstar

Quote:
If you found it boring and un-endearingly quirky I can understand that, but it certainly wasn't shallow, and you at least have to admit that the animation and score were pretty good.
It took me three attempts to watch this film. I kept falling asleep. It flopped on it's treatment of what are mature themes. I was rolling my eyes throughout the film. It's score was meh as well. If it were not animated my score would have been lower. I have had my fill of films about losers from dysfunctional families.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: