Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #4561
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Motorcycle Diaries

I have to thank RBA for mentioning this several times here. I never bothered looking it up though, because for some reason I thought it was a documentary. Anyway, was bored the other day and decided to look into it. It's not a documentary.

In short, I loved it. I would say that it charmed that pants off me, but I wasn't wearing any pants. I don't know how historically accurate it is, and to be honest I really don't care too much. It was well-acted, had a lot of funny, deep, sad, happy, and poignant scenes, and a pretty grand sense of adventure. To be honest, I almost felt inspired to drop everything and just head out on the road and see where life lead me.

8.3/10

Last edited by ShannonElements : 08-05-2010 at 12:27 AM.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #4562
PistolPete
The Pistol

PistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected poster

Getting tired of Steve Carell playing the same dumbass character in all of his movies
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #4563
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Motorcycle Diaries

I have to thank RBA for mentioning this several times here. I never bothered looking it up though, because for some reason I thought it was a documentary. Anyway, was bored the other day and decided to look into it. It's not a documentary.

In short, I loved it. I would say that it charmed that pants off me, but I wasn't wearing any pants. I don't know how historically accurate it is, and to be honest I really don't care too much. It was well-acted, had a lot of funny, deep, sad, happy, and poignant scenes, and a pretty grand sense of adventure. To be honest, I almost felt inspired to drop everything and just head out on the road and see where life lead me.

8.3/10

Been touting it for years... This film does not get the recognition that it rightly deserves. It is easily one of the most beautiful pieces of the last decade.

It is nearly perfect, all the way around... From the acting to the screenplay to the directing to the subject matter to the score.

Gustavo Santaolalla's incredible finger-style playing is a perfect compliment to the film's narrative.

This tune always takes me back to the film.... Beautiful art.

As for whether or not it is historically accurate, I can't speak to the tiniest details, but the broad strokes are absolutely spot-on. The trip across South America by Ernesto and Alberto is what turned a regular, every day medical student into a revolutionary.

Here is a little light reading on the book (for which the movie is based).

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 08-04-2010 at 08:19 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #4564
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I saw Cyrus last week. I'll post thoughts tonight, when I feel like it.
ProfessorMurder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #4565
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack

Been touting it for years... This film does not get the recognition that it rightly deserves. It is easily one of the most beautiful pieces of the last decade.

It nearly perfect, all the way around... From the acting to the screenplay to the directing to the subject matter to the score.

Gustavo Santaolalla's incredible finger-style playing is a perfect compliment to the film's narrative.

This tune always takes me back to the film.... Beautiful art.

As for whether or not it is historically accurate, I can't speak to the tiniest details, but the broad strokes are absolutely spot-on. The trip across South America by Ernesto and Alberto is what turned a regular, every day medical student into a revolutionary.

Here is a little light reading on the book (for which the movie is based).

Yeah, the score fit the film perfectly. I knew it was somewhat historically accurate, but there are always people who nitpick every little detail in these kinds of movies. I'm not one of those people. Have you seen Amores Perros? The same guy who played Ernesto in The Motorcycle Diaries is in it. Think of it along the same lines of Crash except not nearly as pretentious.

Last edited by ShannonElements : 08-04-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:12 AM   #4566
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Hotlantadude81 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchibundo507
7 Pounds Second time watching it. The movie is one of those head-scratchers where everything makes sense near the end. The director made the beginning of the movie a bit too ambiguous. I enjoyed the acting and the plot. The climax of the movie was awe-inspiring. 8.1/10

Such a manipulative sappy pile of shit.

When this movie came out in theaters a box of tissues should come the ticket purchase.
Hotlantadude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:16 AM   #4567
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Collector. 2/10. absolutely horrible.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #4568
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Suspiria

It's been about 14 years since I've seen this, and unfortunately it's one of those movies that is lessened thanks to my more refined cinematic palate. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a good movie, but the acting was God-awful. I loved the lighting, the cinematography was good, and the score was effectively creepy, even if it did happen to be almost the same exact piece of music throughout the entire movie. The blood just looked stupid; it was ****ing orange.

Maybe there was some sort of artistic reason behind that, I dunno. Anyway, it still served to lessen my immersion in the story.

Trailer

6.3/10

Last edited by ShannonElements : 08-05-2010 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:56 AM   #4569
momo
Value Ape.

momo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Suspiria

It's been about 14 years since I've seen this, and unfortunately it's one of those movies that is lessened thanks to my more refined cinematic palate. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a good movie, but that acting was God-awful. I loved the lighting, the cinematography was good, and the score was effectively creepy, even if it did happen to be almost the same exact piece of music throughout the entire movie. The blood just looked stupid; it was ****ing orange.

Maybe there was some sort of artistic reason behind that, I dunno. Anyway, it still served to lessen my immersion in the story.

Trailer

6.3/10

I love the look and feel of it. I am trying to remember another Italian horror flick that is totally psychedelic... but it is not commin to me. I will post it when it does. It is amazing.
momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:59 AM   #4570
Andrei89
Yes We Did

Andrei89 has decent reputation

Crazy Heart

7/10

Good performance by Jeff Bridges. i loved him more in Lebowsky tho.

Can't see why he he won the Oscar tho. I liked Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela more.

Ovrl a good movie to watch with your GF , not a movie to watch alone .
Andrei89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:02 AM   #4571
momo
Value Ape.

momo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Watched Bamboozled again & still love it. I wish Damon Wayans was a little bit more subtle with his "Harvard ness" but whatever. Great movie.
9/10

Old 08-05-2010, 05:33 AM   #4572
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I thought Suspiria was a masterpiece, but hey. Yes, the acting is less than stellar, but everything else makes up for it. Argento was all about overall mood me thinks in the early days. Suspiria sound effects and score was nothing short or brilliant I thought, but I can understand if you didn't like it.

Argento is one of those directors that deserves multiple viewings. He's someone you start off from the beginning and work you way through his collection. I started to do that last summer but never finished. One day.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:43 AM   #4573
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Yeah, it definitely set a mood and was quite atmospheric, but I just couldn't get past the acting. I've seen B movies with better acting. Was it intended to be like that for some reason? Artistic license? Like I said, I still enjoyed it, and thought the lightning, cinematography, and sound design(including the score) were all fantastic, but the horrid acting(that and the orange blood. lol) prevented me from ever really becoming immersed, except for when there was little to no dialog taking place. But as soon as they opened their mouths to speak...
Old 08-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #4574
momo
Value Ape.

Quote:
Yeah, it definitely set a mood and was quite atmospheric, but I just couldn't get past the acting. I've seen B movies with better acting. Was it intended to be like that for some reason? Artistic license? Like I said, I still enjoyed it, and thought the lightning, cinematography, and sound design(including the score) were all fantastic, but the horrid acting(that and the orange blood. lol) prevented me from ever really becoming immersed, except for when there was little to no dialog taking place. But as soon as they opened their mouths to speak...

I doubt the acting was intended to be as bad as it is... part of it is the era it came out in and part was probably just dealing with limitations. A lot of old timey actors were... presentatious. I want that to be a word I think it is
Old 08-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #4575
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Mary and Max

Animated Australian film about a socially inept Australian girl who becomes pen-pals with a socially inept, mentally imbalanced American from New York. It's an unusual beast for an animated film. It's a sort of character study, replete with drama, adult themes(suicide, alcoholism, atheism, dysfunctional families, etc.) and fart jokes. The humor is really inconsistent: One moment the girl is referring to a guy who's afraid of going outside as a "homophobe"(you know, in confusion with the term 'Agoraphobia'), the next, a guy is farting in an elevator full of people and accidentally killing his gold fish with a blender. It's all over the place in that department.

There's a lot of narration, and at first I found it very grating, but after about 15 minutes I got used to it. The voice acting is pretty good, the score is fantastic(seriously, I'm going to look into downloading it - it's that good), and the animation was really good to boot. Here are some screens:

Ultimately I thought it was a really, really well-crafted film, with deep themes and sub-themes, a little held back by the sometimes sophomoric, crude humor.

7.5/10

Last edited by ShannonElements : 08-05-2010 at 08:59 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: