Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-11-2010, 06:21 AM   #4651
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_d
my taste must be really bad. i got so annoyed with it that it the only movie haven't been able to watch until the end.

a very pretentious movie.

this is the last few movies i watched.
Tales of Earthsea - 5/10
Salt - 4/10
Summer Wars - 8/10 ( dub was bad, i'll try the original if i find it. )
Inception - 7/10 ( felt like i have seen it before )
Lol you think the Dark Knight was pretentious?
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:28 AM   #4652
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
Lol you think the Dark Knight was pretentious?
I'd say it was a bit.
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:28 AM   #4653
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Christopher Nolan is one of the best directors working today.. and he is far from being pretentious..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:50 AM   #4654
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains5000
I'd say it was a bit.

i have to side with this guy. yes, it's a comic book movie, but there's hardly any dialogue in which the characters aren't explaining their motivations for the audience by over-using silly metaphors ("dog chasing car") or employing some very paper-thin philosophy ("the hero we need/deserve"). picturing gordon giving that ending speech to his son instead of cutting to the montage is hilarious. the dinner conversation between bruce and harvey is silly as well ("you die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"). all of these characters are a little too self-aware (and self-absorbed!).

i watched it last week for the first time since seeing it in the theater and renting it once right when it came out. it was both better and worse than i remembered it. i found myself cringing throughout at most of the dialogue. oh, and batman is a true criminal for taking out the SWAT team, not just for accepting the blame for the murders he didn't commit.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:56 AM   #4655
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
i have to side with this guy. yes, it's a comic book movie, but there's hardly any dialogue in which the characters aren't explaining their motivations for the audience by over-using silly metaphors ("dog chasing car") or employing some very paper-thin philosophy ("the hero we need/deserve"). picturing gordon giving that ending speech to his son instead of cutting to the montage is hilarious. the dinner conversation between bruce and harvey is silly as well ("you die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"). all of these characters are a little too self-aware (and self-absorbed!).

i watched it last week for the first time since seeing it in the theater and renting it once right when it came out. it was both better and worse than i remembered it. i found myself cringing throughout at most of the dialogue. oh, and batman is a true criminal for taking out the SWAT team, not just for accepting the blame for the murders he didn't commit.
I did like that.
I have to watch it again.
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #4656
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation

i think it's funny he used the voice when he was only talking to lucious. he's in character sure, but morgan freeman just has to be rolling his eyes and thinking "we've got a method batman here"
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #4657
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

SayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat cool

really cool movie. stunning visuals. the action sequences were some of the best i've seen in long time for a movie like this. some really clever sequences.

nothing groundbreaking story wise, but it had a nice flow to it without detracting from the energy and overall pace of the movie.

voice acting was spot on with the likes of jennifer connelly, christopher plummer, john c reilly, and elijah wood at the helm.

worth a watch. 7/10
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #4658
SCdac
Very good NBA starter

SCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputation

I saw "Dinner for Shmucks" recently. It was nonsensical for the most part, but I loved it. Laughed pretty much all through out. A combination of Carell, Rudd, Galifinakis, and the dude from Flight of the Conchords was perfect for a comedy like this. Objectively, I'd give the film about a 7/10, but personally it would rate closer to 9/10 for the pure hour and 50 minutes of enjoyment. Movie was very quotable.
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #4659
john_d
just read'n.

john_d has decent reputation

i just saw IP man 1 & 2... pretty bad @ss.

bruce lee's master is bad @ss. enough said

Part 1 : 8/10
Part 2 : 7/10 ( would rated it high but the fight versus the boxer is was nonsense. )
john_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #4660
PistolPete
The Pistol

PistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCdac
I saw "Dinner for Shmucks" recently. It was nonsensical for the most part, but I loved it. Laughed pretty much all through out. A combination of Carell, Rudd, Galifinakis, and the dude from Flight of the Conchords was perfect for a comedy like this. Objectively, I'd give the film about a 7/10, but personally it would rate closer to 9/10 for the pure hour and 50 minutes of enjoyment. Movie was very quotable.

You must have a different eye for comedy that my friend and I do. We found this movie to be awful. It almost seems that they were trying too hard to make it funny. I mean some of the movie was clearly absurd with the wacky characters portrayed. Galifinakis pretty much reprised the same role he had in The Hangover, and Carrell is always playing the goofy idiot part. Not comedy if you ask me.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:05 AM   #4661
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Milk - 8.5/10

Fantastic film and I loved every minutes of it. Not knowing much about the true story (I know the basics and the obvious stuff, but not the in depth stuff), so I don't know how much of the film was Hollywood-ised. However, I did love how they included archive footage in the film. That was very nice to see.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #4662
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Silence of the Lambs

Hadn't seen this in ages, so I thought I'd give it another go. I definitely wasn't as able to appreciate this when I saw it 15 years or so ago like I am now. This is truly a great, intelligent movie. Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lecter has to be one of the most compelling, chilling movie villains of all-time. Jodie Foster turns in a pretty good performance as well.

That first scene with Hopkins and Foster will draw you in and won't let go until the credits are rolling. There are only a few "flaws" with the movie, in my opinion. The first one might not even be a flaw, but I really don't see how (***SPOILER***)Lecter got a hold of that damn ink pen(/spoiler). My other couple complaints are so silly they aren't even worth mentioning. I'm too tired to go into much more detail, so I'll just cut to the chase:

8.7/10
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #4663
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Life Is Beautiful

This was a breath of fresh air as far as World War II movies are concerned. It's about a Jew living in Italy during the period leading up to the war, who uses his imagination, creativity, and overall jovial nature to keep a positive, fun outlook on life no matter what kinds of challenges he faces, whether it be wooing The Girl of His Dreams, or avoiding a beat-down by an angry administrator.

And it isn't long before he has to put all that to the test, when he and his young son are sent to a work/death camp. The writing is really impressive in how he manages to spin any situation, and keep his kid having fun, even in the most dire of circumstances.

It's really a movie of two halves, which is a bit jarring. The first half just establishes his character and supporting characters, is funny and comical(though there are hints of where the story's heading), and the second half, well...

Overall I was more impressed by the clever writing than anything else, but the movie was also pretty touching, and definitely is something a bit different and lighter as far as WW2 movies are concerned.

Trailer

8/10
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #4664
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Silence of the Lambs was amazing, 9.0 out of 10 stuff for me loved that flick
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #4665
Rizko
EroticVanilla

Rizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Life Is Beautiful

This was a breath of fresh air as far as World War II movies are concerned. It's about a Jew living in Italy during the period leading up to the war, who uses his imagination, creativity, and overall jovial nature to keep a positive, fun outlook on life no matter what kinds of challenges he faces, whether it be wooing The Girl of His Dreams, or avoiding a beat-down by an angry administrator.

And it isn't long before he has to put all that to the test, when he and his young son are sent to a work/death camp. The writing is really impressive in how he manages to spin any situation, and keep his kid having fun, even in the most dire of circumstances.

It's really a movie of two halves, which is a bit jarring. The first half just establishes his character and supporting characters, is funny and comical(though there are hints of where the story's heading), and the second half, well...

Overall I was more impressed by the clever writing than anything else, but the movie was also pretty touching, and definitely is something a bit different and lighter as far as WW2 movies are concerned.

Trailer

8/10
I remember watching this movie in History class. I missed the first day of the movie (so about 30-40 mins worth), but saw the rest of it and really liked it.
Rizko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: