Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #4666
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Life Is Beautiful

This was a breath of fresh air as far as World War II movies are concerned. It's about a Jew living in Italy during the period leading up to the war, who uses his imagination, creativity, and overall jovial nature to keep a positive, fun outlook on life no matter what kinds of challenges he faces, whether it be wooing The Girl of His Dreams, or avoiding a beat-down by an angry administrator.

And it isn't long before he has to put all that to the test, when he and his young son are sent to a work/death camp. The writing is really impressive in how he manages to spin any situation, and keep his kid having fun, even in the most dire of circumstances.

It's really a movie of two halves, which is a bit jarring. The first half just establishes his character and supporting characters, is funny and comical(though there are hints of where the story's heading), and the second half, well...

Overall I was more impressed by the clever writing than anything else, but the movie was also pretty touching, and definitely is something a bit different and lighter as far as WW2 movies are concerned.

Trailer

8/10

bongiorno principessa! i flat out loved the first half of the movie. the writing and the slapstick comedy was flawless. probably the best example of clean humor that has come out of a movie in the last 20 years.

i could do without the depressing half. i wish it was just a romantic comedy. it would have been one of the best ever. but that's probably an opinion only i would have.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #4667
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think the second half was necessary because otherwise the movie would present a pretty questionable message.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #4668
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation

i dunno, i think it just could've been a nice screwball comedy, but i know that wasn't the point of the movie.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #4669
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I much preferred Foster to Hopkins in that. Yes, I know It's Hopkins best role [most likely, I haven't seen a ton of his work], but I honestly think Jodie's character was one of the best developed characters ever, and the transformation from young, naive, impressionable special agent to an attractive, powerful mature woman was glorious to watch. And that may be because of the writing, but Foster pulled that off with precision.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #4670
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Silence of the Lambs is one of my favourite films ever. Personally, I'd give it, at the very least, 9 out of 10.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #4671
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog 7/10

Uhh so technically it's a movie, about 42 minutes long. Written during the writer's strike it was to be a small budget, movie done professionally. It's a good watch, the music (it's a musical) is more along the lines of modern musicals like Rent. Neil Patrick Harris was the perfect cast.

I mean I have nothing but good things to say about this film, the only thing is that it's so short.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #4672
shlver
코비=GOAT

shlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

IP Man 2 6/10
First half was pretty entertaining, second half was pretty shitty.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:49 AM   #4673
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Inhale

This is about a little girl with bad lungs, on the precipice of death and the lengths her father goes to save her life when all the legal venues for finding a donor come up empty. Namely, he attempts to find her a new set of lungs via the Mexican black market, which drops him right in the middle of the world of Mexican organized crime and corrupt law enforcement.

I don't know what caused this movie to fly so far under the radar, because it has a strong core of actors, solid production values, and a pretty compelling narrative. Only one major plot hole that I noticed, but then again I don't know the ins-and-outs of the subject matter. There were a couple times when you could tell that the budget probably held it back a little, but nothing that will really impact your enjoyment of the film much.

It often broached the morality of the whole black market transplant thing(even if utilized to save a loved one), and got especially heavy at one point, but I won't give it away. The score was pretty good, and there was even some action and quite a bit of tension and suspense, in case I've made it out to sound boring.

Trailer

6.7/10

Last edited by ShannonElements : 08-13-2010 at 07:34 AM.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:52 AM   #4674
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

sounds like a cooler version of John Q
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:24 AM   #4675
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Usual Suspects - 9/10

I don't know what's going on with the film channels at the moment, but they seem to be showing some great films at the moment. So I'm just trying to soak them all up.

Anyway, it was the first time my girlfriend seen it and found it boring and didn't get most of it. It was my second time watching and I was able to appreciate it more than I did the first time. Definitely a great, great film. Although, watching it after the first time doesn't give the same suspense, since you know the twist is coming and you know what it is.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #4676
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
I much preferred Foster to Hopkins in that. Yes, I know It's Hopkins best role [most likely, I haven't seen a ton of his work],

remains of the day
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #4677
PistolPete
The Pistol

PistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected poster

8/10

Man these two legends looked young as hell back then. Roy never aged well, but Hackman was atop his game. A pretty good cop flick, but you can definitely tell movies were different back then. Movies nowadays may have no discernible plot, but at least there is better dialogue than there was back in the 70's.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:09 AM   #4678
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

God. How could Stallone fck this up? I didn't come in to the theatre asking for much besides badass action sequences, funny dialog, and basically 80s action stars being 80s action stars. The opening scene showed promise, but it divulged into some bullshit where Statham gets wishy washy about a girl, Stallone mopes about another girl, and even Rourke has an incredibly underwhelming monologue. Basically most of the script was very awkward and stilted, and there was too much exposition about bullshit I didn't care about. The Arnold cameo was dumb too. The violence was also sub par, with poor graphics and special effects, and frequent dodgy camera work.
3/10

Then I hopped over to watch:

Much better. Even the action sequences were better than the Expendables! I've only read the first part of the first graphic novel so I was slightly familiar with the plot but most of it was still new. The movie is... kind of like a Western Shonen Manga series in 2 hours. I thought it was a more candid take on the post high school but not really full adult part of one's life and one's relationships at that stage. It was surprisingly funnier than I thought too and the video game references went deeper than I imagined. (down to characters fighting with soul calibur signature moves) It definitely had a lot of story to cover in a short amount of time so at times it did seem a little rushed but overall it was quite enjoyable. 7.8/10
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #4679
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Transformers 2: D-

WTF was this bullshit?

The mother going nuts and tackling fools in about 30 seconds on a pot brownie that she was too stupid to even know what it was even though it had a big damn pot leaf on the bag? Is that supposed to be comedy?

Stupid love crap with Shia and Fox? OF COURSE some smoking robot whore girl and random college happenings causes a spat between the two.

The racist caricature robots are insulting beyond belief.

There are some nice explosions but the action is so damn jerky you can't even tell what the hell is happening half the time.

This movie is a massive fail. I can't believe so much money went into something so incredibly empty and worthless.

Last edited by kentatm : 08-14-2010 at 08:52 PM.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:24 AM   #4680
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Paper Man

I wasn't expecting much out of this, almost didn't even bother with it, but I'm glad that I did because it turned out to be a really solid flick.

It's about a novelist(Jeff Daniels) with an invisible superhero friend(Ryan Reynolds) who decides to stay in a small, quiet town so that he can focus and finish(or rather, start) his second novel. His wife(Lisa Kudrow) still has to work in the city, so they only see each other on weekends, leaving him with plenty of time to focus on his book.

Of course, he's experiencing writer's block, and all sorts of mental problems(the least of which being the imaginary friend) so he doesn't get much done. While spinning his wheels he befriends a young high school-aged girl(Emma Stone), and thus sets the stage for the bulk of the movie.

I wouldn't saying anything about this is laugh-out-loud funny, but it was pretty charming and humorous almost all the way through. The scenes with Ryan Reynolds were fairly entertaining(screenshot: ), if not a bit hammy feeling, and Daniels and Stone had surprisingly good chemistry, and both turned in strong performances.

Not much stands out technically, but there's nothing to really complain about either. This is a character study, so if you aren't into those kinds of films you might ought not bother. Also it's relatively predictable. Still though, consider checking it out.

Trailer

7/10

Last edited by ShannonElements : 08-15-2010 at 04:35 AM.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: