Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #4696
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I just happened to flip this on midway through the other day and caught a few scenes with the 'black' robots. I couldn't believe my eyes. That was 1920s black-face level insulting... Far worse than JarJar Binks ever was.

There is no way that I could have made through that entire stinkbomb.
I knew jar jar bings. and you, sir, are no jar jar bings.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #4697
Captain Kirk
Beat the world...

Captain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation here

The Experiment

This is NOT a remake of the Stanford experiment that occurred with undergraduates. It runs along those same lines, but it's not meant to be a direct remake. For one, the participants in the experiment are citizens (all men). I'm a sucker for most things Adrien Brody (not to mention Forest Whitaker), so I wanted to watch this before I even knew what it was about. I definitely recommend this movie. I rate it: Good
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #4698
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kirk

The Experiment

This is NOT a remake of the Stanford experiment that occurred with undergraduates. It runs along those same lines, but it's not meant to be a direct remake. For one, the participants in the experiment are citizens (all men). I'm a sucker for most things Adrien Brody (not to mention Forest Whitaker), so I wanted to watch this before I even knew what it was about. I definitely recommend this movie. I rate it: Good

looks like it is a 100% remake of the german film das experiment, which was pretty good.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #4699
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
The Road

After seeing the trailors and hearing about it from friends, going into it I thought there would be more interaction between the two main characters and other survivors. After thinking about it, it makes more sense to limit the times they ran into others. Overall, I liked it. Some of the scenes will definitely make you think, and a lot of them are downright depressing. The scenes with Viggo and his son talking about killing themselves and planning how they would do it were hard to watch.

8/10

Oh yeah, Omar Little also makes a cameo.

i didn't like it much. i guess i was hoping for more action and i just got bored. it had quite a few creepy scenes (the one u mentioned, the "food" in the locked basement). it did, however, show a more detailed, realistic look at a post-apocalymptic future.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #4700
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Empire of the Sun

Don't feel like writing a whole lot, so here's the trailer. And yes, that's a young Christian Bale.

7.5/10
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #4701
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Just watched the Losers.

Best thing I can say is: it wasn't awful.

It's a decent action movie, so if you wanna lots of shooting, explosions, and fighting, then check it out.

6.5 out of 10.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #4702
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

Raj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Empire of the Sun

Don't feel like writing a whole lot, so here's the trailer. And yes, that's a young Christian Bale.

7.5/10
is this a book also?
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:06 AM   #4703
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kirk

The Experiment

I was wondering if anyone else watched the screener that was just leaked. I just watched it too and thought it was a terrible movie.

3/10

+ Adrien Brody is a good actor and has little problems creating a sympathetic character. Some similarities to his character in The Jacket.
+ Damn Maggie Grace is hot. I could have gone with more random imagination scenes with her just to get away from seeing what was actually going on in the "prison".

- The movie establishes a set of rules then throws them out the window completely almost instantly.
- I read that the German movie had more of a presence from the "people behind the camera" and this version was sorely lacking that. The entire plot made little sense without it.
- The insulin stuff. Are you kidding me? If this was a true guard-prisoner scenario then there would not have been any debate as to how to handle such a situation. This arbitrary "no outside things" voids the entire experiment and turns it into more of a torturer-victim experiment.
- The anti-war protest and India scenes were so ham-fisted in the context of this film. It was almost insulting to have such obvious setup and contrast scenes.

I hated this movie. I never want to see it again. If you want something along these lines that is good, check out the sci-fi film Cube. It's more creative, exciting, more thought-provoking and overall a much better movie.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:26 AM   #4704
Captain Kirk
Beat the world...

Captain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I was wondering if anyone else watched the screener that was just leaked. I just watched it too and thought it was a terrible movie.

3/10

- The movie establishes a set of rules then throws them out the window completely almost instantly.
- I read that the German movie had more of a presence from the "people behind the camera" and this version was sorely lacking that. The entire plot made little sense without it.

Not sure I see how it didn't make sense. Yes, there were a set of rules, particularly no violence. But what led to their actually being violence is the guards testing how much they could do without the red light turning on. I do believe in the original experiment (I think) that the people behind the cameras were also apart of the experiment the way the guards and prisoners was. So I agree the movie was lacking in that area as at times it was strange to show the camera view if no one was behind it. But what led me to forgive that was the idea that the presence of the camera and red light (representations of authority) were there to see how far the guards would go with the belief that as long as the light didn't come on and no one stopped the experiment after seeing what's happening through the cameras, that what they did was ok, no matter how immoral the actions were.

And it was set up pretty early when one prisoner talks with Adrien Brody about the idea that humans are just as much animal as any other creature on earth. This made me think of Plato and the Ring of Gyges, which basically says that man is only moral as a product of fear. Since no one interfered and the light never turned on, the guards had no reason to fear the consequences of what they were doing. The only thoughts that were present were selfish ones relating to them being feared and dominate over the prisoners, particularly Brody since he was the ring leader.

Quote:
- The insulin stuff. Are you kidding me? If this was a true guard-prisoner scenario then there would not have been any debate as to how to handle such a situation. This arbitrary "no outside things" voids the entire experiment and turns it into more of a torturer-victim experiment.

The reason they didn't want to give him his insulin is because there was already tension between the two groups and the guards were feeling a bit humiliated and tested, so at this point they were just starting to do whatever they could to gain the upper ground on the prisoners. And this is where the cameras (which I believe it was intended for them to only be dummy cams with no one watching, but to give the idea that there was authority behind them) came into play. They felt if whoever behind the camera didn't come in and say "give him the insulin", then it was ok to refuse him the insulin.

You also have to take into account the interviews that occured before it started, where you get a sense of who the core characters are as individuals, their ethical stances and things of that nature (which ultimately led to how easy they would be influenced under pressure or break), particular the devowed Christian played by Whitaker, who turned out to be the worst of them all. Also consider that 14 grand is on the line, and if they break any of the 5 rules they don't get paid. And Whitaker desperately needed the money, which could explain his willingness to push the limits. Though later he became motivated by something monstrous.

Quote:
- The anti-war protest and India scenes were so ham-fisted in the context of this film. It was almost insulting to have such obvious setup and contrast scenes.

I didn't take those as having anything to do with the whole movie but rather Brody's character specifically, since he was a main character. Notice you usually saw the India scenes when it came to Brody and some punishment he received for going up against the guards, and how the things they did to him were breaking him. The girl called him a pussy for his nonviolent ways (reason for showing the rally at the start of the movie, to set up his character), but the worst the actions got against him in the prison, the more that person he was begin to fade away, but he would think about India, and the way the girl described it almost as if to hold on to the person he was before all hell broke loose inside.
Quote:
I hated this movie. I never want to see it again. If you want something along these lines that is good, check out the sci-fi film Cube. It's more creative, exciting, more thought-provoking and overall a much better movie.

I've heard of it. I may check it out some time. But I mainly watched this film because I'm a fan of Brody and Whitaker, not to mention David Banner being in it, that was a nice little touch. He appears to have a lot of talent we don't know about (thinking of that gatorade song).

Last edited by Captain Kirk : 08-20-2010 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:55 AM   #4705
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

Raj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Gonna rate some movies that I've seen the last couple of weeks:

Brooklyn's Finest blu ray
The Karate Kid (2010)
The Shawshank Redemption
Green Zone blu ray

Gonna go in order:

Aite I saw this movie on my b-day and I was blown away...like I've never seen a more amazing/beautiful movie than this. Like I was speechless after I saw it. Just found out that its comin back in 3D on the 27th and I AM gonna go see it, gonna go w/the fam cuz they wanna watch it in 3D as well, I already know i'm gonna be speechless again lol. Amazing movie. Right now I'll give it 9.5/10 before watchin it in 3D. Prolly after I'll give it a 10.

wasn't that good...not what I expected. wasnt very bad either. I'll give it 6/10.

All I gotta say is Jaden Smith straight up not only showed up Hollywood's young stars, but China too! He came to Hollywood and showed the other kid actors who's boss and showed the whole country of China who's boss!!! Goddd damn this kid's ridiculous! Gotta give it 9/10 just cuz its Karate Kid.

Wow what a movie! Amazing movie. Very good. yall have to see it if yall havent. Morgan Freeman makes it 10x better and the plot is good too. 9/10

Another great Matt Damon action movie. Plot was aite, action was good. I'll give it 7.5/10
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:12 AM   #4706
Captain Kirk
Beat the world...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Da Dodge

All I gotta say is Jaden Smith straight up not only showed up Hollywood's young stars, but China too! He came to Hollywood and showed the other kid actors who's boss and showed the whole country of China who's boss!!! Goddd damn this kid's ridiculous! Gotta give it 9/10 just cuz its Karate Kid.

while it was long, I did enjoy this movie and was very pleased with Jaden's performance. He has a bright future and looks just like his dad at times.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #4707
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Jerusalema

If you like Scarface, or City of God, you'll likely like this movie. It's almost a combination of the two, except it's set in South Africa after the Apartheid. As you've no doubt surmised, it's about a poor boy from the slums, who brings himself up via organized crime to become a sort of real estate kingpin of Johannesburg.

Remember the scene from "Heat" where they knock over the armored car by blocking it's path, then t-boning it with the semi? One of the characters was watching that movie, saw that scene, then did the same exact thing in one of their heists, ignoring the pleas from his gang beforehand telling him "That's only a movie man, that shit will never work!" I thought that was a nice touch(and towards the beginning of the movie as well, so I'm not giving much away). There are more than a few clever scenes like that.

The cinematography and acting were both pretty good, as were the production values, but the plot did seem to meander about a bit in the second half. Still, I'd recommend it. It's a pretty smart, authentic feeling movie.

7.8/10
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #4708
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

here are two I recently watched and enjoyed.

The Brothers Grimm - This movie was pretty damn entertaining. A little cheesy and family friendly, it was nonetheless an enjoyable couple of hours. The incorporation of all the different fairytales was pretty clever and the character acting was good, if a little over the top for the eye-tie. Good cinematography and sets. 7.5/10

This was the best written movie I have seen in a while. While it was a little draggy at points, this movie had create dialog and plot/character development. Even had tits and muff diving. You definitely have to be in the mood to WATCH a movie and not be multi-tasking, but this movie was really, really good, especially with a serious ben stiller role. Highly recommended. 8.5/10
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #4709
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Jerusalema

7.8/10
Kid on the top right looks just like our poorlilrich
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:55 AM   #4710
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

Definitely one of those "need to understand the culture to really get everything out of it" films, but I did enjoy it quite a bit. I like to contrast it with Better Luck Tomorrow as being a more accurate portrayal of Asian-American life. The British antagonist was kind of weak although they just needed someone to compete against so I won't hold it too much against the movie. It was also pretty well made for a relatively small movie too.

7/10
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: