Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-21-2010, 04:52 AM   #4711
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

^^^^^

Absolutely love Ping Pong Playa. Plus dude had tight shirts, tight jerseys, and that soundtrack was amazing!

Scott Pilgrim vs The World- 10/10:

I went into this movie fully expecting to be dissapointed. I wasn't. This movie was awesome. You may have to be into nerd culture to fully appreciate is but there is something in this for everyone. Very creative style.

Of the three movies I've seen in theaters this summer (cause I'm not fucking counting Last Airbender) this one ranks third in terms of the best movies (Behind Inception and Toy Story 3).

But it was by far my favorite of the three.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #4712
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Watched The Departed last night with my girlfriend. Is it me or do girls just not get this film? No guy I know dislikes this film, but most girls I know simply don't like it or just don't get it. With the girls, I assume the former is a product of the latter.

It was her first time watching it (I must have seen it 4 or 5 times now and it's one of my favourite films) and she just complained all the way through. "I don't get what's going on!", "Who's this guy?", "Why did he do that?". Nearly all girls that I know, would ask these questions, in some form or another, when talking about the film.

She (gf) also hated the ending (I thought it was brilliant). This is what she said, "It's like the director couldn't think of a good ending, so he just killed them all off?"

She even said, that it was predictable all the way through, despite the fact she was having trouble following the story most of the time. Granted, it sort of it is and it sort of isn't. You know either Sullivan or Costigan are going to die, but no one was expecting Costigan to die like that or even die first or maybe even die. His death hits you and you're thinking what the f*ck just happened. After Costigan's death, you don't think that Sullivan is going to die, because he's redeemed himself (sort of), he killed Costello, he killed Costello's other infiltrator, having Dignam take him out maybe wasn't great, but it is what it is.

She also complained about the film being too long. Yes, it's two and a half hours, but it sure as shit does not drag on like the Dark Knight. I can sit and watch the Departed with out wishing it would get to the end, hell, I would probably be happy if that film was three and a half hours. The story just doesn't drag, it's well paced and there's no part in the film where I thought, 'oh just hurry up!'

Personally, I'd give it a 9/10. Excellent film, excellent story and the ending is just brilliant. The music is great as well.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #4713
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
Watched The Departed last night with my girlfriend. Is it me or do girls just not get this film?

no, it's not just you
BRabbiT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #4714
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Killer Inside Me

First off, let me just say if you're hung up about seeing violence against women in film, don't even bother with this movie. I preface my review with this because many of the negative reviews I've seen for this movie can't get passed that aspect. There is much more violence towards women here than what I'm accustomed to seeing, but certainly no more violence in general than many other movies I've seen(in that regard it's relatively tame), and I don't see why an exception should be made for women. This kind of shit has happened in real life, so I don't see why it's such a big no-no to put it in a movie. Moving on...

This is 1950s pseudo film-noir about a small town, mild-mannered deputy sheriff with mommy issues who...well, you can probably get an idea of what the plot is about just based on the title. The acting in this was great, from pretty much everyone involved. Even Jessica Alba turned in a good performance in her role, even if she was largely limited to sex scenes( ).

The cinematography was great, the score was pretty badass, and overall the production values impressed. It was a bit methodical, but it was still well-paced considering. I never got bored with it. The ending, however, really threw me for a loop. It just made no sense. I'm still trying to figure out if it was some sort of mind-f*ck or something, or if it was just terrible film-making.

I'll definitely have to watch this one again sometime.

Trailer

8/10
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #4715
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

91%

Beautiful film that successfully plucks every heart-string without being exploitative or sensationalistic. This is arguably the best rebuke of the total war concept I have seen yet.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:43 AM   #4716
crosso√er
Decent college freshman

crosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
personally i really liked it and thought it deserved the oscar over slumdog for being technically superiour. people have argued that it is to an extent fincher selling out and i suposse it does have broad appeal but i felt it was a very well executed epic that is increadibly moving at times and not short on ambition. where as slumdog is just well shot film by numbers, competantly executed mediocre film making lacking in depth and ambition

Competently executed? You're the one poster that continually says the most absurd, fallacious things regarding films. You're going to tell me that this movie that is primarily well known mostly because of how well it was crafted, is mediocrity in execution? Well, I guess you're entitled to your opinion as irrational as it is.

The only reason I actually had the privilege of watching this film is because of the buzz it created; not because of it's multi-million dollar advertising campaign or a globally infamous director. This is a movie that had a limited North American release initially, until people recognized its art.

You talk about execution; yet from my experience, the composition and lighting was top notch. Music was beautifully shaped, creating the most exquisite drama.

I'm starting to think you make these bold comments for attention, trying to distinct yourself as some sort of perceptive movie critic. Your predictably negative trendy attitude towards movies many people consider great is rather tiring, I would respect your opinion a little more; if your logic (concerning the issues you have with certain movies) wasn't so perplexed.
crosso√er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:58 AM   #4717
Maniak
Maniak

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Even Jessica Alba turned in a good performance in her role, even if she was largely limited to sex scenes

I'd like to hope theres a way to see just that from the movie.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:12 AM   #4718
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

4/5
Old 08-23-2010, 12:07 AM   #4719
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

Didn't know anything about the movie coming in and was a little surprised that it was of the Catcher in the Rye variety. Didn't quite resonate with me since I've passed that stage in my life but it was certainly well made. Have to think about it some more before rating it.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:58 AM   #4720
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Paranormal Activity: 6/10

The Last Song 3/10

Alright so I had a deal with my gal pal. If she watched Paranormal Activity with me that night, I'd want the Last Song with her the next day. So that's what we did:

Paranormal Activity- I thought the dialogue was hilarious. I thought the characters were a little unbelievable. And I thought the ending was bad. BUT as far as the action, it was almost brilliant. A breath of fresh air in this era of gore fest and effects races, the idea of making the things simple and not too outlandish was great. And that brings us to our ending: it was outlandish. It just killed the vibe.

Now though it has respawned the documentary style horror flick.

The Last Song- I'd never noticed it until I watched this movie. Miley Cyrus has a funny lookin mouth, and she can't act. If you've seen any Nick Sparks movie, ANY Nick Sparks movie, you'll know this story foundation. The best part of the whole movie was her dad played by Greg Kinnear.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:33 AM   #4721
GoSpursGo1984
Great young streetballer

GoSpursGo1984 has no real reputation yet.

Brothers 6/10 It was okay but did not explore the characters relationships enough

Night At the Museum Battle of the Smithsonian 8-10 I think this was a really good movie actually better then the first which is rare for a sequel
GoSpursGo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:24 AM   #4722
BRabbiT

3.5/5
Old 08-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #4723
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

youth in revolt- not gonna do a full write up but it was an exceptional film, loved the minimal, negative narration and where this film really excelled(and so many in its genre fall short) was that it was fully committed to its dark, cynical tone, there was no cop out(ala 500 days of summer) and there was no new found morality for its characters.
9/10

salt-
demented garbage, several times i considered the idea that it might be a parody.
2/10

wolverine-
actually i didnt think it was that bad, very tolerable
5/10

paranormal activity-
certainly effective, conceptually the same as but more restrained than the blair witch project.
7.5/10
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #4724
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

Raj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaj Da Dodge is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Is Paranormal Activity scary as people are sayin it to be? Been hearin that that movie gave people nightmares and shit and people couldnt sleep and all that. And I'm one of those people that jus a lil bit of watching stuff like that will get me nightmares, so idk if I should watch this movie or not. Or are people over reacting?
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #4725
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Da Dodge
Is Paranormal Activity scary as people are sayin it to be? Been hearin that that movie gave people nightmares and shit and people couldnt sleep and all that. And I'm one of those people that jus a lil bit of watching stuff like that will get me nightmares, so idk if I should watch this movie or not. Or are people over reacting?

In my opinion they were strongly overreacting. I can undertand overly sensitive chicks feeling like that, but that movie is plain garbage. Not scary, not entertaining, poorly acted... It is nice for a low budget, opera prima movie, but judged solely as a movie it sucks big time.
Btw, I just watched The Box, and I found it bad, but pretty entertaining. I still can't understand how Cameron Diaz became an actress though.

Last edited by Lebowsky : 08-23-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: