Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-24-2010, 02:24 AM   #4726
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Infernal Affairs

This is the film that was remade into The Departed. If you liked that movie, you'll like this. There are some differences between the two, namely, there is almost no humor to be found in this one. This one also tends to be a little less dramatic and theatrical, and is just more understated in general(while being a bit less gritty).

The whole cat-and-mouse game was also a bit more in-depth(utilizing things like morse code, by tapping fingers on cell phone microphones), and the two protagonists don't share the same love interest like they do in The Departed, but other than all that the two movies mirror each other pretty closely. The music at times seemed out of place.

Overall, if you've got a hankering for a good crime thriller, this will fit the bill, though if you've already seen The Departed it will lose some of its punch. Still though, I look forward to Infernal Affairs 2, which is supposed to be pretty good as well.

8/10

That being said: The Departed>Infernal Affairs
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #4727
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

8½ (1963) - 10/10

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #4728
oneeyeddeacon
I brick open layups

oneeyeddeacon has an OK reputation so far

Flower of Flesh and Blood:
Pretty realistic dismemberment. I actually kind of liked it (does this make me a sick person?).

6/10

August Underground:
Pretty gruesome. The handheld camerawork was kind of annoying, but keeping the screen small helped. It's basically a special effects extravaganza (kind of like Avatar), so don't expect much substance. Oddly enough, I also kind of liked it.

6/10

August Underground's Mordum:
...ok, so the 2 aforementioned movies were graphic and twisted, but August Underground's Mordum is something else entirely. Dismemberments and torture are typical of horror movies, but this has a guy eating maggots off of a decapitated infant. While I somewhat liked the other 2 movies, this was just sick.

2/10 (only because the gore effects were pretty good)
oneeyeddeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #4729
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

gonna watch the dark knight for the first time tonight. THink Ill like it? Saw the batman beginnings recently and thought it was pretty well done. Much darker (like the DK comics) and a much more accessible wayne character.

Gotta say, I saw marley and me over the weekend with the wife and really enjoyed it. I was shocked, probably 7/10
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #4730
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
8½ (1963) - 10/10

one of the 50 best movies of all time IMO. maybe even top 10.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #4731
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
youth in revolt- not gonna do a full write up but it was an exceptional film, loved the minimal, negative narration and where this film really excelled(and so many in its genre fall short) was that it was fully committed to its dark, cynical tone, there was no cop out(ala 500 days of summer) and there was no new found morality for its characters.
9/10

salt-
demented garbage, several times i considered the idea that it might be a parody.
2/10

wolverine-
actually i didnt think it was that bad, very tolerable
5/10

paranormal activity-
certainly effective, conceptually the same as but more restrained than the blair witch project.
7.5/10
huh, I tend to agree with you about most movies, but I did not like YiR at all. Maybe its an age thing?
Old 08-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #4732
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
gonna watch the dark knight for the first time tonight. THink Ill like it? Saw the batman beginnings recently and thought it was pretty well done. Much darker (like the DK comics) and a much more accessible wayne character.

Gotta say, I saw marley and me over the weekend with the wife and really enjoyed it. I was shocked, probably 7/10

If you liked Batman Begins, you will love Dark Knight. It would be even better to watch in Imax with their loud sound system. One of the best things about the movie is the way the music carries it, so make sure you have it turned up to 11.

Last edited by Sarcastic : 08-24-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #4733
mongePR(kb24)
kb24 to boston

mongePR(kb24) has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
youth in revolt- not gonna do a full write up but it was an exceptional film, loved the minimal, negative narration and where this film really excelled(and so many in its genre fall short) was that it was fully committed to its dark, cynical tone, there was no cop out(ala 500 days of summer) and there was no new found morality for its characters.
9/10

salt-
demented garbage, several times i considered the idea that it might be a parody.
2/10

wolverine-
actually i didnt think it was that bad, very tolerable
5/10

paranormal activity-
certainly effective, conceptually the same as but more restrained than the blair witch project.
7.5/10

haha, Salt has the plot of a low budget 80's action film with angelina jolie in it. It was maybe an homage to those films, i dont know.. lol
mongePR(kb24) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #4734
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I've been trying to find an HD version of 8 1/2 for literally months now.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:53 PM   #4735
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
I've been trying to find an HD version of 8 1/2 for literally months now.
meh, not much of a thief, so I cant help you. I have it on dvd (old format). is it available in HD?
Old 08-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #4736
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I hope so.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #4737
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Dog Day Afternoon (1975) - 8/10

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #4738
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Dog Day Afternoon (1975) - 8/10

I watched that movie a couple of months ago and I liked it a lot. I've got "synecdoche New York" and "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" to choose betweeen at the moment. Which one would you guys recommend to watch first?
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #4739
knobs
Decent playground baller

knobs is a pretty well-respected posterknobs is a pretty well-respected posterknobs is a pretty well-respected poster

both are unbelievable scripts and really well directed movies. 'synecdoche' will leave you asking more questions whereas 'eternal' wraps up tidier in the end. you can't go wrong with either, but on a gut check, i'd say start with 'eternal sunshine'. it's probably the better overall film.
knobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #4740
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobs
both are unbelievable scripts and really well directed movies. 'synecdoche' will leave you asking more questions whereas 'eternal' wraps up tidier in the end. you can't go wrong with either, but on a gut check, i'd say start with 'eternal sunshine'. it's probably the better overall film.

Thanks, repped.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: