Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #4741
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
I've been trying to find an HD version of 8 1/2 for literally months now.

I found an HD copy on x264. Too bad you got banned on there, ****er!

Edit - It's on Demonoid. Only one seeder, though.

Last edited by ShannonElements : 08-24-2010 at 10:20 PM.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #4742
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

synedouche, certainly. Really well done, sorta edge of reality movie
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #4743
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Dog Day Afternoon (1975) - 8/10

great movie. Have a copy but rarely watch it since the wife doesnt like the faggy character.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:22 AM   #4744
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
I found an HD copy on x264. Too bad you got banned on there, ****er!

Edit - It's on Demonoid. Only one seeder, though.

Wow, thanks. It's labeled as "eight and a half" instead of "8 1/2", which is why I couldn't find it.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:49 AM   #4745
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

^^^I figured that was probably the case. One of the first things I do when I'm having problems finding something is search any possible alternate spellings.

The Killing Jar

Quote:
A stranger armed with a shotgun takes seven patrons hostage in a remote roadside diner. But as the body count increases, the desperate survivors discover that one of the hostages may be even more dangerous than their captor.

Not a bad little indie flick. The acting was at times mediocre, and some of the sound editing was God awful, but other than that, the cinematography and music were both well done, and the production values overall were OK. The entire movie takes place in the little diner.

Don't have much else to say about it, the plot didn't try too hard to be intelligent and they didn't throw some wild twist in my face like I was expecting, which I guess I can appreciate. Overall not a waste of time but also nothing that I can really recommend.

Trailer

6/10
Old 08-25-2010, 06:35 AM   #4746
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

I just watched Shutter Island. I loved it.

I like when a movie evokes emotion and when Leo's character sees his kids in the water lifeless I have to say my eyes kinda got watery man I couldn't imagine anyone doing that to my boy I would have went crazy too.

I like how the plot panned out and the acting was great as well.

4/5 stars.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #4747
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

7.5/10

Jeff Bridges plays a fairly convincing drunk. Pretty good soundtrack. A lot of the plot is predictable and a little corny. Colin Ferrell does a convincing job as a country star although his Irish accent comes out at times.

Oh and Maggie Gyllenhall can get it, again, and again...

Last edited by rufuspaul : 08-25-2010 at 08:08 AM.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #4748
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Shelter

Quote:
A female forensic psychiatrist discovers that all of one of her patient's multiple personalities are murder victims. She will have to find out what's happening before her time is finished.

Well, this movie turned out quite a bit different than I expected. Definitely a tale of two halves. Starts off as a psychological mystery/thriller, and then turns into a sort of supernatural horror movie with a lot of religious undertones. Really good production values throughout, effectively creepy, tense and atmospheric, with great acting from Johnathan Rhys Meyers, but the plot was just an incoherent mess.

Maybe it's just one of those movies that needs to be watched twice to fully understand all the intricacies, or maybe there were just a lot of loose-ends, and I'm leaning towards the latter. There are some really interesting concepts here but none of it seems to really come together in a logical manner. Still though, I might give it another watch sometime, although I'm in no rush to do so.

6.4/10

Traier

Last edited by ShannonElements : 08-25-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #4749
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Insider - 9.5/10

F-ck big tobacco, f-ck big corporations, f-ck spineless media companies that kowtow to the big companies over fear of lost $$$

Great flick and a true story. Crowe plays a whistle blower on big tobacco for the horse shit they were pulling. Studies to hook very young kids, blocking info about heath risks etc etc etc. Pacino plays a news producer that wants to blow the story open but runs into corporate assholes who would rather protect their bottom line than tell people the truth. What's sad is there are probably several industries that act ten times worse than big tobacco.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #4750
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Insider is soooo underrated.

Pacino and Crowe give stellar performances and the script was so sharp with dramatical impact...
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #4751
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

not to mention a master class in direction/editing and score.

the insider= masterpiece.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #4752
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Alright, I just finished watching Synecdoche New York, and it has confirmed a couple of things in my mind. One: Kaufman may very well be the best movie writer of his generation, or close to it. Two: Philip Seymour-Hoffman may very well be the best actor of his generation, or close to it.
The movie touched me deeply. It was very beautiful in many different ways, and the reflections on trascendent matters it inspired in me will keep my mind busy for quite some time. I find it hard to believe it's Kaufman's first movie as a director. Brilliant work from all the actors and actresses too. 9.5/10, or maybe even a 10, I don't know.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #4753
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

I personally didn't care too much for Synecdoche. Not a bad movie by any means, to me it just felt a bit like a pretentious circle jerk; ambitious solely for the sake of being ambitious, and to serve no other purpose. I would definitely take Eternal Sunshine and Being John Malkovich over it any day of the week, though I have been meaning to watch it again.

And yeah, The Insider was great. It's a shame so few people seem to have seen it.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:13 PM   #4754
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
I personally didn't care too much for Synecdoche. Not a bad movie by any means, to me it just felt a bit like a pretentious circle jerk; ambitious solely for the sake of being ambitious, and to serve no other purpose. I would definitely take Eternal Sunshine and Being John Malkovich over it any day of the week, though I have been meaning to watch it again.

And yeah, The Insider was great. It's a shame so few people seem to have seen it.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. The movie reflects about topics that interest me and about which I myselft often reflect. The storytelling was brilliant, in my opinion, the way the plot unfolds and sinks you deeper and deeper into Hoffman's character and psyche really got me into it. The music went very well with the story, unnoticed for the most part and moving when it needed to be. Maybe I've liked it so much because, in a way, it reminds me of Kafka's (who happens to be my favourite writer) universe and storytelling, despite the many differences. Or maybe I'm getting more sensitive as I grow older, I don't know. Either way I loved it. Eternal sunshine is next on my list.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:20 AM   #4755
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

The Square

Quote:
A man's life begins to unravel when his mistress brings him a bag of cash.

Pretty solid Australian crime drama about a guy and his girlfriend who hatch a plot to run away together with a bucket of cash. Of course, nothing goes as planned, leading them into quite the little shitstorm, especially for normal, everyday people.

All the actors did a great job and the movie is competently put together, I have a couple of nitpicks but nothing really worth mentioning. This is pretty much exactly how I'd imagine most of these types of plots to go down when they're carried out by your average joes, and that's commendable.

Some people have compared this to a film by the Coen brothers, and while I can definitely see the comparison, it's a bit generous in my opinion. Oh, and one other thing: They for some reason threw in a scene with a dog dying. It in no way contributed to the plot, or impacted anything in any manner except seemingly to serve as a cheap method of making viewers feel shitty. I really don't understand why they put that in there. Yeah, I understand the movie isn't exactly about rainbows and Skittle-shitting butterflies, but that was just unnecessary.

Trailer

7.3/10
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: