Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #4771
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kirk
Inception

I waited a long time to see this and it was just okay for me. I'm a big Dicaprio fan but despite the original concept I thought the overall story was lackluster. I'm shocked to say that Shutter Island was the better of Dicaprio's movies this year, because of all the hype Inception got. Overall it was just a good movie, but not great as I thought it would be. I rate this movie: Good.

wow , first time seeing someone rate it just good, good for u

definitely a mediocre story trying to be too complex, the story got predictable real fast
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #4772
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey
wow , first time seeing someone rate it just good, good for u

definitely a mediocre story trying to be too complex, the story got predictable real fast

I had a similar reaction many pages back.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #4773
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I had a similar reaction many pages back.

ditto.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #4774
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Paranormal Activity: 3/10- Basically exactly like the first one. But with no creepyness at all. Employs the cheapest trick in the book, long and overpowering silences followed by short loud noises draw jumpiness from everyone. But some people still found it scary. There were two legitimate hilarious parts.

Penn and Teller's Magic and Mystery Tour: 7/10- First off you get to hear Teller talk so... there's that. But if you are at all interested in magic this is a good one, and Penn and Teller are funny guys. Also Teller is possibly the best magician I've ever seen, and he's like the Rain Man of picking up tricks.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #4775
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters: 10/10: The best documentary I think I've seen. It caught me completely off guard, I thought it was just gonna be about the game but it turned into this compelling story, I was so involved in it that when I looked to see who held the record now I was elated to learn the Steve Wiebe had taken it back. Outstanding.

Jesus Camp: 8/10- Compelling. Interesting. The scariest movie I've seen in a long while.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #4776
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Told you motherf*ckers that movie was mesmerizing.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #4777
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters: 10/10: The best documentary I think I've seen. It caught me completely off guard, I thought it was just gonna be about the game but it turned into this compelling story, I was so involved in it that when I looked to see who held the record now I was elated to learn the Steve Wiebe had taken it back. Outstanding.

Jesus Camp: 8/10- Compelling. Interesting. The scariest movie I've seen in a long while.

I watched both less than a couple of weeks ago. I downloaded King of Kong after reading someone's review on here and, although I wouldn't rate it 10/10, I liked it a lot too and found it very compelling. At some points I found myself hating Billy Mitchell and his disciples, and I also checked the twin galaxies scoreboard as soon as I finished the documentary
Jesus camp I didn't like that much. I agree it was saddening and scary, but also very boring in my opinion.
Lebowsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #4778
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky
I watched both less than a couple of weeks ago. I downloaded King of Kong after reading someone's review on here and, although I wouldn't rate it 10/10, I liked it a lot too and found it very compelling. At some points I found myself hating Billy Mitchell and his disciples, and I also checked the twin galaxies scoreboard as soon as I finished the documentary
Jesus camp I didn't like that much. I agree it was saddening and scary, but also very boring in my opinion.

I can see that. It does drag at a lot of points but the content for me was pretty good. It's hard to watch in some spots I want to transport myself there and talk to these people.

I think even Christians would look at these people and be like:
Old 11-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #4779
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
I can see that. It does drag at a lot of points but the content for me was pretty good. It's hard to watch in some spots I want to transport myself there and talk to these people.

I think even Christians would look at these people and be like:

I don't think you or anybody talking to them would make any difference. Those are fundamentalists (and fundamentalists in the making, in the case of the kids) whose beliefs are deeply rooted and aren't rational.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #4780
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Still got 5/10? I'm pretty sure I lasted about 35 minutes before I turned it off.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #4781
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements

Horror|Mystery|Thriller

Trailer

One of the most formulaic, by-the-numbers movies I've seen in a long time.

5/10

That was one god awful movie. It bored me to no end and, as you said, it was terribly formulaic. I think I had already seen movies with the same (or very similar) plot.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #4782
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Finall saw:

I was prepared to give this movie around a 40 during the first 30-45 minutes of the movie. Brad Pitt's character was amusing at points (like the exchange in the car with Malkovich) but the attempt for him to be humorous seemed too forced. However, the movie got more and more entertaining as it progressed and eventually I was actually laughing out loud at the end. Not a bad way to spend an hour and a half.

I give it a 65/100.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #4783
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

Saw Memento last night. Kinda got it but not really. I mean I jus realized after readin some of the posts and watchin the ending that he already killed the guy he wanted to kill earlier, and he was jus usin that as an excuse to kill other people. Then also I realized that he was Sammy himself. Didnt get it after the movie, jus got it. But am I right? Thas what happened right? As for the movie, idk what the hype is all bout? Like I don understand how its an amazin movie? I think I gotta really understand it to see why its soo good. I mean I know Nolan is I guess the best director so there has to be a reason its good. But yea. Not gonna rate it cuz I don wanna give it a wrong rating cuz I didnt fully understand it. But it'd be nice if someone explained it fullly
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #4784
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

inception

7/10

looked beautiful. nolan's comic book writing from the dark knight definitely bled over to the final version of this script. just like all of those characters explicitly spelled out all of their motivations at least twice for the audience, here the heavy-handed expository dialogue continues throughout the climax of the movie. and not just as a means of explaining the mechanics of the dreams. in the beginning, when arthur meets cobb in his hotel room before the helicopter ride, cobb tells an already in-the-loop arthur (something along the lines of) "we have to get to the ______ corporation by ______ because by now they've already figured out we've failed." yeah, we just saw that, and arthur was there with you throughout the job.

just like all of nolan's other movies, i can't see myself re-watching it. i can't imagine putting up with all the hand-holding again after the number of times i rolled my eyes on the first viewing.

getting past that, it was a movie that entertained for around 2 of its 2.5 hours, and i'm glad i saw it. it's already filed away, though.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #4785
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
That kind of stuff is just something you tend to have to deal with in most movies. I don't know how many times I've been watching something with two experts(at whatever) discussing a job/project or what-have-you, and when one says something to the effect of "Will we have to use the _______?", the other goes on to give a fairly detailed explanation of what the _______ actually does. Even though you'd have no such explanation given by two such experts in real life, because it would be unnecessary. They do that for the audience's benefit.

It's just one of those things.

More so for American films. Remember the Departed? if anyone saw the original films Infernal Affairs, things were much more subtle and a lot less were explicitly conversed. But Americans audience are usually uncomfortable with such ambiguity and prefer things to be stated explictly "to acomplish X we are going to do Y"

there are certain americans directors who diverge from this tho. David Lynch who has shown shades of Inngmar bergman with films like Mulholland Drive

Last edited by heyhey : 11-06-2010 at 11:27 AM.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: