Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-31-2010, 06:47 PM   #4786
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRabbiT

3.5/5
that movie was horrible, I'd give it like a 3/10 or 2/5 max
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:55 PM   #4787
step_back
College superstar

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Enjoyed it, Didn't reinvent anything but it ticked all the right boxes when it comes to action/horror.

6.5/10
step_back is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #4788
FCN

I am about to watch episodes 7 and 8 of "The Pillars of the Earth".

Technically not a movie, but a miniseries based off the famous epic novel by Ken Follett.

It has a few corny scenes, as do most made for TV movies, but overall it's pretty good.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:51 PM   #4789
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

City of god. I can't believe I hadn't seen this movie yet. I knew it was good, as I had been told so a thousand times before, but for some reason I never found the time to watch it. Maybe I thought it was going to be some kind of corny drama about brazilian street kids, I don't know. Anyway, I absolutely loved the movie, it was nothing short of fantastic. At first I tried to watch it in portuguese, since I can speak it fairly well and I thought it'd be good practise. Impossible. The brazilian accent was hard enough for me most of the time, so when you add all the particular words they have there and the ghetto ass slang they spoke it was nearly impossible for me to follow without missing important stuff. I ended up watching it with the subtitles on.

As I believe most of you must have already seen it, I won't write much about it. Let me just say that I loved the way the movie was constructed (very guy ritchie-ish I might say), with the stories of the characters inserted in the flow of the narration. I was fascinated by the portrayal of the favela (which I believe to be fairly accurate), a world I feel very curious about, but that is forbidden to all of us outsiders.
Great movie that I'll watch again in some time. 9/10

Last edited by Lebowsky : 08-31-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:55 PM   #4790
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
I don't give out a lot of 5s or lower because I can usually tell which movies are terrible without watching them. I think Expendables is the lowest grade I've given out in a while.

That's a great point. A lot of people look at reviews too before watching a movie. I normally only watch movies I think I like so I'm more likely to have a bunch of high ratings.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:57 PM   #4791
FCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky
City of god. I can't believe I hadn't seen this movie yet. I knew it was good, as I had been told so a thousand times before, but for some reason I never found the time to watch it. Maybe I thought it was going to be some kind of corny drama about brazilian street kids, I don't know. Anyway, I absolutely loved the movie, it was nothing short of fantastic. At first I tried to watch it in portuguese, since I can speak it fairly well and I thought it'd be good practise. Impossible. The brazilian accent was hard enough for me most of the time, so when you add all the particular words they have there and the ghetto ass slang they spoke it was nearly impossible for me to follow without missing important stuff. I ended up watching it with the subtitles on.

As I believe most of you must have already seen it, I won't write much about it. Let me only say that I loved the way the movie was constructed (very guy ritchie-ish I might say), with the stories of the characters inserted in the flow of the narration. I was fascinated by the portrayal of the favela (which I believe to be fairly accurate), a world I feel very curious about, but that is forbidden to all of us outsiders.
Great movie that I'll watch again in some time. 9/10

Very good movie. There is also a sequel I think, which I haven't watched yet myself but plan to.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:02 PM   #4792
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Lebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebowsky is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCN
Very good movie. There is also a sequel I think, which I haven't watched yet myself but plan to.

From what I've gathered, there is a spin-off TV series called "cidade dos homens" (city of men) which I plan on watching. I don't know if there's any movie sequel though.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #4793
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation

http://www.stuckinthe80s.com/image.php?productid=16251

one crazy summer. 7/10

john cusack's second movie directed by savage steve holland. the first was better off dead. like that one, it's a really enjoyable movie with a lot of funny hijinks and a touch of absurd humor that stretches beyond the realms of realism just often enough to throw you for a bit of a loop.

the nostalgia effect of 80s and teen romance movies no longer influences me as i get older, but it's still an easy-going comedy.

plus cusack's name in the movie is one of the best examples of "______s mc______" : 'hoops' mccann
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:57 AM   #4794
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Smokin' Aces

I liked it, but it just felt a little off. It felt like something was missing. I can't explain it. The story was good, the acting was good (not great, but still good), the action was good, the setup was good, the pace was good and the ending was brilliant, but it still felt like something extra would have made it an absolutely brilliant film, but instead it was just good with a great ending.

I guess the ending is a twist, so to speak, but not a twist in the sense of The Usual Suspects or Fight Club, which are somewhat similar.

I would have given it a 6 out of 10, but the ending is just too good, so I will bump it up to a 7 out of 10.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #4795
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Four Lions

Quote:
Four Lions tells the story of a group of British jihadists who push their abstract dreams of glory to the breaking point...

Funny! No, it really was. This was funny from start-almost-all-the-way-to-the-finish. The synopsis I posted doesn't really paint an accurate picture. These guys are basically the dumbest terrorists of all-time. Their antics include things like eating their cell phone sim cards so that they can't be tracked, and vigorously shaking their heads back-and-forth while in public so that if the Feds are taking pictures their faces will show up blurry. And that's just scratching the surface.

The story telling and character development were so good that I actually found myself liking a few of these would-be terrorists, which led to a couple especially somber scenes. The cinematography had a documentary feel to it, and the acting was pretty transparent. Lots of good comedic timing as well, that didn't feel forced, but rather, natural.

I've never seen anything quite like this. Recommended.

8.4/10

Trailer
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #4796
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCN
I am about to watch episodes 7 and 8 of "The Pillars of the Earth".

Technically not a movie, but a miniseries based off the famous epic novel by Ken Follett.

It has a few corny scenes, as do most made for TV movies, but overall it's pretty good.
didnt realize netflix had more than the first 2 episodes. I really liked this series (only seen through 4 currently). Best tv series like this in a very long time.

also, anyone watch "the guild". Its pretty funny and I want to crush the redheads *****
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #4797
Eggy
Banned

Eggy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryEggy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryEggy posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

28 Weeks Later
Some contradictions here and there but overall an entertaining movie. Kind of drawn out and a bit bland as the story progressed. Action was pretty good, but some moments made me lol. The helicopter scene was the coolest scene I've seen in a long time.
6.6/10

Last edited by Eggy : 09-01-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Eggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #4798
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Four Lions

Funny! No, it really was. This was funny from start-almost-all-the-way-to-the-finish. The synopsis I posted doesn't really paint an accurate picture. These guys are basically the dumbest terrorists of all-time. Their antics include things like eating their cell phone sim cards so that they can't be tracked, and vigorously shaking their heads back-and-forth while in public so that if the Feds are taking pictures their faces will show up blurry. And that's just scratching the surface.

The story telling and character development were so good that I actually found myself liking a few of these would-be terrorists, which led to a couple especially somber scenes. The cinematography had a documentary feel to it, and the acting was pretty transparent. Lots of good comedic timing as well, that didn't feel forced, but rather, natural.

I've never seen anything quite like this. Recommended.

8.4/10

Trailer

great film, very original comedy and as you said there is some very moving moments also that sneak up on you.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #4799
FCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
didnt realize netflix had more than the first 2 episodes. I really liked this series (only seen through 4 currently). Best tv series like this in a very long time.

Yes, they have every episode up as of last weekend. Better still would be to just download torrents since you can get it in 720p and netflix' quality for these seems a bit sub-par. Check out http://eztv.it/ =)
Old 09-02-2010, 12:43 AM   #4800
Fatal9
owwwww

Fatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Contempt - 8/10

Stunning visually. Not only the filming on location, but Godardís use of color motifs (mainly red/blue/white) throughout the film. There was some thematic underlying to the colors (incompatibility?), but from what I know and have read, his use of colors here was influenced by pop art. The film is about a playwright who is offered to fix up a script about an adaptation of Homerís Odyssey by a (vulgar) American producer. Thatís the background setting, but what the film examines is the waning relationship between the playwright and his wife, amongst several other things (artistic ideals vs. money, criticism of producers/filmmakers etc).

It can be a bit alienating emotionally but that is common on a first viewing of many of his films. Some scenes that were meant to be powerful, lacked emotional force because the relationship never really feels real. Several techniques Godard uses can sometimes make you almost too conscious of the fact that you are in fact watching a movie. If youíve read the Odyssey before, youíll enjoy the references to it throughout. The score is used arbitrarily throughout the movie (Godardís unwillingness to yield to what is traditional), but is used well with the overall tone of the film.

Some shots from the movie (they don't spoil anything)...

Fatal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: