Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #4801
knobs
Decent playground baller

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

review time!

this was pretty wildly entertaining, and you can't fault it for throwing as much 'kickass' action at the audience as is physically possible in a little under two hours. it tread the line really well between parody and genuine originality, which is all important for movies like this - kind of in the same way a tarantino movie might succeed. lots of subtle enough referencing to pop culture that doesn't take too keen an observer to pick up on, but refrains from ramming itself into down your throat. the mock 'eternal sunshine' snow scene comes immediately to mind.

the writing was great. the characters were drawn up with enough depth to appreciate their situations, but not too much to force them out of their video game/anime sort of caricatures. and the dialogue had that cutting edge sharpness to it that didn't require the audience to forge any relationship with the characters.

the overall story is pretty clearly f*cking balls off the wall awesome. random bassplayer from a shitty canadian band trying to get a gig anywhere fights seven evil ex boyfriends, each of which conform to a different manifestation of douchebaggery. vegan tightass, corporate c*ckwad, brainless action movie star, cowgirl dyke, etc. each of them brought their own flavour.

it's not all praise though, and i guess the point is, a movie like this can only really be so good. the dialogue is fastpaced and on point, but not totally original - just really... deadpan. it's good, but writing like that can only really be so good because its of a very distinct mold. and i did get a little tired of the same old as the movie wore on. i was never really bored persay, but i was also never really encapsulated. it's not the sort of movie that invites the audience into the universe so that by the time it finishes, you have to 'wake up' from the experience and get back to the real world. it's just something to watch and chuckle along with. i guess that's the parody side of the pseudo parody/action genre.

acting was good. the development of knives, and in particular her big turning point, was f*cking golden - her character went from slowly getting annoying to criminally awesome in no time. the gay roommate was also the funniest part of the movie. really perfect dialogue for a character like that.

i still want to know why the chick kept correcting michael cera when he referred to the 'x's as ex-boyfriends - i really thought there was going to be an eventual reveal, like the name reveal at the end of kill bill. alas, i was disappointed.

i'll go with 7/10 for a thoroughly enjoyable but not altogether unique experience.
knobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #4802
knobs
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Because one of her exes(how exactly do you spell that?) was a girl.
oh, wow. that seems obvious. did they explicitly mention that, or did i just miss it?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #4803
BRabbiT

4.5/5
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #4804
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobs
oh, wow. that seems obvious. did they explicitly mention that, or did i just miss it?
You mention it to when you said "cowgirl dyke".
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #4805
knobs
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
You mention it to when you said "cowgirl dyke".
yeah, i remember the lesbian, i just don't remember if they explicitly reference it as the punchline to that joke again. on account of the fact that i didn't pick up on it. but maybe my lack of attention is to blame.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #4806
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

now, im sure im way late and lots of you have seen it but my hollywood renaissance viewing does not extend to having seen everything of relevance(therefore its poor). this one blew me away and then some, i watched it late last night and literally couldnt get to sleep for hours through replaying the film in my mind. one of the most haunting and engaging films ive seen in a long time. i wont say too much about it but its a feast, beautiful, horrible, funny and so emotionally draining. beatty is just brilliant, the whole subversion of the traditional western story, characters and themes is handled beautifully by altman. its a very downbeat film at its heart tho, very sad. id draw certain comparisons with no country for old men and perhaps the assassination of jesse james.
10/10
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #4807
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4

now, im sure im way late and lots of you have seen it but my hollywood renaissance viewing does not extend to having seen everything of relevance(therefore its poor). this one blew me away and then some, i watched it late last night and literally couldnt get to sleep for hours through replaying the film in my mind. one of the most haunting and engaging films ive seen in a long time. i wont say too much about it but its a feast, beautiful, horrible, funny and so emotionally draining. beatty is just brilliant, the whole subversion of the traditional western story, characters and themes is handled beautifully by altman. its a very downbeat film at its heart tho, very sad. id draw certain comparisons with no country for old men and perhaps the assassination of jesse james.
10/10

Julie Christie was a babe back in the day.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #4808
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobs
You missed the obvious thing that didn't need to be audibly revealed. It cant be ex-boyfriends if one of them is a female.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #4809
Stinky Dog
Local High School Star

Brooklyn's Finest - 6.1/10 - While it may be highly contrived and over loaded with cliches I still found it to be pretty entertaining. It was definitely backed up with some strong performances courtesy of Ethan Hawke. Wish Vince D'Onofrio had a bigger role. The end was disappointing and pretty formulaic but it was a pretty decent cop drama.

Let The Right One In - 9.8/10 This was utterly fantastic. One of the best films I've seen in a very long time. It is so much more than just a vampire movie. Very touching and even heartwarming at times it really struck a deep chord. It had a similar impact that another cult favorite of mine 'Near Dark' had the first time I saw it. Highly, highly recommended.

Stranded - 4.3/10 - First and foremost I'm a huge Vincent Gallo fan. I'm also a sucker for science fiction and anything ET related. Conceptually this film was cool but it failed to execute. Still worth a watch for fans of the genre.
Stinky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:33 AM   #4810
oneeyeddeacon
Not airballing my layups anymore

Irreversible

10/10

Finally got around to watching this, and I must say, this movie was absolutely incredible. It's pretty graphic, but it was seriously one of the most amazing cinematic experiences I've ever had. I really loved the disorienting camerawork, the graphic but powerful violence, the backwards storytelling, basically everything about it. I really can't praise this movie enough.
oneeyeddeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #4811
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
The Player

Comedy|Crime|Drama|Mystery

Trailer

Never even heard of this one before until recently. Really ahead of its time, with a lot of self-deprecating humor. Good stuff.

8.3/10

that last film i reviewed- mccabe and mrs miller was also altman- check it out if you get a chance.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #4812
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

the kids are alright- very, very good intimate drama/comedy, nicely observed, tight and restrained. one of the best 3 or 4 films ive seen this year.
9/10
Old 11-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #4813
BRabbiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Dog
Brooklyn's Finest - 6.1/10 - While it may be highly contrived and over loaded with cliches I still found it to be pretty entertaining. It was definitely backed up with some strong performances courtesy of Ethan Hawke. Wish Vince D'Onofrio had a bigger role. The end was disappointing and pretty formulaic but it was a pretty decent cop drama.

yeah, i enjoyed it, too.

6 is about right, though.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #4814
clipse026
Local High School Star

The Hurt Locker - 6/10

I finally got around to watching it after seeing all the stuff it won. I have to say that I didn't really enjoy it but I could see how some people could. There wasn't really much character development imo and it was honestly pretty boring. I find it hard to believe that many guys would last like that being so careless with these explosives. I know he told his guys they could leave him but he certainly kept them in harms way too often for my liking.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #4815
JohnWall2
JOHN WALL ALLDAYERRDAY

shuld make a movie of ma life
JohnWall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: