Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #4846
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

'Grown Ups' - 5/10

Just finished watching 'Grown Ups' with the wife.. It was a very bad flick, particularly with the people involved. I mean how do you have so much talent in a movie and not create something funny even my mistake? I blame the director. The tone of the film was so off and the comedic timing was handled so badly. Its not the worse movie Ive seen but it was very bland.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #4847
Disaprine
I'm with whateva

Disaprine is a pretty well-respected posterDisaprine is a pretty well-respected posterDisaprine is a pretty well-respected poster

just saw cloverfield, i'll give it a 3.5/5

did anyone else get a little motion sickness when you saw this movie?
Disaprine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #4848
heyhey
stay mad golden state

heyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid

God damn was this good. Wong kar wai never disappoints and in my opinion is the best active director in the world. Like his other films, Fallen Angels is a very sexy and stylistic movie. It's not as polished in terms of cinematography as his later films but I felt a more youthful exuberance with Fallen Angels, maybe because Kaneshiro's story provides some much-needed humor and optimistic romanticism into the story. I remember Boozehound asking who I'd go gay for, I should've said Kaneshiro. I bet he could get any woman (or man if he swung that way) he wanted. Michelle reis was also pretty ****ing sexy in this movie too, I hadn't heard of her before this film.

10/10

nice to see another Wong Kar Wai fan on board. Man I have such respect for east asian cinema and auteurs like WKW. I have basically viewed his entire work collection even the ill attempted My Blueberry Nights.

WKW is up there along with Gus Van Sant, David Lynch, Cronenberg, Bertollucci, Mendes, etc as one of my favorite contemporary directors. His use of color, sense of style, poetic dialogues, ability to elicit such great acting, is unparralelled.

My favorite movie from him is Days of Being Wild tho. Have you seen it?

And I would also go g@y for takeshi kaneshiro. Dude is smoking.

EDIT back on topic, The last movie I saw was Star Wars III. I enjoyed it, mostly because of natalie portman.

Never caught it in theaters. I still think the new trilogy gets unnecessary hate. Cinematicaly speaking it's no worse than the original trilogy.

Last edited by heyhey : 09-07-2010 at 11:49 PM.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #4849
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by step_back

Really enjoyed this movie, a powerful drama. Directed by Ben affleck and starring his brother Casey affleck.

Casey affleck plays a Bostonian private investigator hired by a family to help search for their lost daughter.

8/10

I just watched this last week. I agree with the 8 rating. Was kind of pissed about the ending though.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #4850
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaprine
just saw cloverfield, i'll give it a 3.5/5

did anyone else get a little motion sickness when you saw this movie?

just a little
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #4851
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
nice to see another Wong Kar Wai fan on board. Man I have such respect for east asian cinema and auteurs like WKW. I have basically viewed his entire work collection even the ill attempted My Blueberry Nights.

WKW is up there along with Gus Van Sant, David Lynch, Cronenberg, Bertollucci, Mendes, etc as one of my favorite contemporary directors. His use of color, sense of style, poetic dialogues, ability to elicit such great acting, is unparralelled.

My favorite movie from him is Days of Being Wild tho. Have you seen it?

And I would also go g@y for takeshi kaneshiro. Dude is smoking.

EDIT back on topic, The last movie I saw was Star Wars III. I enjoyed it, mostly because of natalie portman.

Never caught it in theaters. I still think the new trilogy gets unnecessary hate. Cinematicaly speaking it's no worse than the original trilogy.
I have not seen many films from the other directors you mentioned but I have WKW as #1 for me right now.

I have not seen Days of being wild. I have seen: 2046, In the Mood for Love, Fallen Angels, My Blueberry Nights and Happy Together.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:50 AM   #4852
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

(Pasted from tumblr)

And now I've finally finished WKW's 60s trilogy. Curiously enough I've watched them backwards starting from 2046. 2046 was the first WKW movie I saw. At the time I didn't really understand his style but instantly fell in love with the cinematography and although I couldn't accurately place the feelings and mood that watching the film placed me in I knew I wanted to see more.

Now having watched all of the trilogy as well as Fallen Angels and Happy Together, and having gathered some of my own life experience to compare, I have an even deeper appreciation for the themes and feelings that pervade WKW's movies and the ambiguous, often muted approach he and his actors/actresses use to express these thoughts.

I won't talk about the cinematography too much, but its very similar to his other works with Christopher Doyle. The claustrophobic settings, interesting angles and vivid color palettes are all there, although there seems to be a veil of haze that hangs over Days of Being Wild that differentiates itself from the saturated color tones of his later works. Another thing I noticed was that WKW had already refined many of his visual techniques in Days of Being Wild, and thus I take back my point about Fallen Angels being a more raw and unpolished demonstration of WKW's technique. While I didn't enjoy some of the camera angles and camera movement of Fallen Angels, they were definitely intentional and not too experimental.

On the thematic front, one point that I really gathered after watching DoBW and the entire trilogy is how dangerous and viral a jarring emotional moment can be. York's (Leslie Cheung's playboy self-centered character) careless behavior with Su Li Zhen's heart sets in motion a chain of events that has a life-changing effect on numerous character's lives throughout the trilogy. Li Zhen clearly is never the same after her breakup with York, leading her to an unhappy marriage and being afraid of exposing herself to readily to true love again, causing her to miss her opportunity with Chow which leads to his behavior with the women in 2046. In a more immediate fashion York's actions also causes misery for Tide, Zeb and Mimi. You can even draw this further back by attributing York's behavior to the selfishness of Rebecca, his foster mother who holds back on telling York who his true mother is so he will stay with her. Thus one act of selfish behavior can exponentially duplicate itself and spread misery across decades and countries. Something to keep in mind.

I definitely need to watch the entire trilogy again, since its been over half a decade since I watched 2046, but while this is only an informal trilogy, I feel DoBW is pretty essential to further fleshing out Maggie Cheung's character and provides crucial reasons for the mood of the latter two films. I personally would probably rank my WKW films as:

1a. Fallen Angels

1b. In the Mood for Love

3. Days of Being Wild

4. 2046 (might change with another viewing)

5. Happy Together (Didn't really feel as satisfied with this one right after I watched it but it's growing on me)

6. My Blueberry Nights

8.5/10
Old 09-11-2010, 03:53 AM   #4853
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Death at a Funeral (2007) - 8/10

Death at a Funeral (2010) - 8.5/10
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #4854
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by step_back
Really enjoyed this movie, a powerful drama. Directed by Ben affleck and starring his brother Casey affleck.

Casey affleck plays a Bostonian private investigator hired by a family to help search for their lost daughter.

8/10

Great movie (imo).

Ben Affleck did a terrific job directing. His new flick (The Town) looks just as gritty.

BTW, Casey's character (Patrick Kenzie) is awesome. If you liked G.B.G, you'll definitely like the 1st novel in that detective series (Kenzie & Gennaro).

BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #4855
Nobler
The Noble

Nobler has decent reputation

Saw expendables last week. D-
Nobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #4856
vapid
Paranoid Android

Awesome movie. The protagonist's growth and development is very natural and organic. I love prison movies mostly because they are kind of like gang war movies but mixed with a lot of deception and quick thinking due to the restricted environment. Only part I didn't enjoy was the continued haunting of the first guy he murdered. Seemed a little unnecessary.

10/10
Old 09-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #4857
"Jesus"
Short & Sweet

"Jesus" has a terrific reputation"Jesus" has a terrific reputation"Jesus" has a terrific reputation"Jesus" has a terrific reputation"Jesus" has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
Awesome movie. The protagonist's growth and development is very natural and organic. I love prison movies mostly because they are kind of like gang war movies but mixed with a lot of deception and quick thinking due to the restricted environment. Only part I didn't enjoy was the continued haunting of the first guy he murdered. Seemed a little unnecessary.

10/10
My favourite part of the movie:
"Jesus" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #4858
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

11:14

Quote:
The events leading up to an 11:14 PM car crash, from five very different perspectives.

Pretty good. One of those flicks where you have a bunch of separate stories that all end up intermingling and affecting one another. Pretty smartly done too; everything you see is shed in a new light from a different perspective later on. There are several funny bits too. On, and it's also where the following gif is from:

In case anyone's wanted to know.

Trailer

7.6/10
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:38 PM   #4859
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

airchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

is she dancing or having sex?
airchibundo507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #4860
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Couples Retreat

4 stars out of 10

I waited for it to get funny, and I waited, and I waited.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: