Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #5086
JerrySteakhouse
WE MISS U CHALMERS :(

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Da Dodge
Saw Just Wright last night and loved it. I mean cuz its me, I love those kind of movies that have to do w/basketball. As for pro viewing and like no basketball biased, idk if a regular audience would like it, I can see how it only got a 5/10 on imdb. But I personally loved it, thought the plot and meaning behind the movie was actually very good, and of course Latifah made it great as well, also the other girl (Paula Patton) I think is beautiful, not just in the movie, I just looked her up on google and really do think she's gorgeous. Overall I think its a must watch once IF you're a basketball fan, also if you like romantic comedies cuz its basketball+romantic comedy so I thought it was good. I'll give it

Just Wright - 8/10

Saw it about a month ago, I'd give it a 6.5/10
JerrySteakhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #5087
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Salt was atrocious.
I kinda liked it.

It was maybe the most ridiculous plot ever but it was quick, fun and Angelina Jolie did a good job of creating a sympathetic character. A solid 6/10 for me.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #5088
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I kinda liked it.

It was maybe the most ridiculous plot ever but it was quick, fun and Angelina Jolie did a good job of creating a sympathetic character. A solid 6/10 for me.

I watched up to the scene where she kills her Russian boss and then shut it off. Like you said, ridiculous plot.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #5089
Mr. Grieves
He shoots, he bricks.

Saw Black Swan today.

Natalie Portman is batsh*t crazy in this movie. Awesome visuals. B*tches got scared in my theatre lol.

9/10, deserves to be up for Oscars.
Mr. Grieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #5090
Captain Kirk
Beat the world...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grieves
Saw Black Swan today.

Natalie Portman is batsh*t crazy in this movie. Awesome visuals. B*tches got scared in my theatre lol.

9/10, deserves to be up for Oscars.

I also saw it. It's pretty damn good movie. I rate this movie: Great.
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:30 AM   #5091
Stuckey
ifirtworld

ferris bueler's day off 8/10

boondock saints 2 4/10 - couldnt finish
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #5092
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I went to see The Fighter last night. As someone who's lived on and off with an addict brother for the past 7 years, Christian Bale should be nominated for an oscar. I'd say he should be a lock to win, but frankly I haven't seen enough this year to say for sure. All I know is he was spot on. Honestly, there were spots of it that cut a little close to the bone.

It was really outstanding. It's got a few moments that I would describe as a bit hokey. Amy Adams felt a bit tacked on, even though she did a pretty good job. The griminess of the area would've been interesting to see how Aranofsky would've handled it, because that seems to be something he excels at. I imagine it would've been grittier but perhaps not quite as light in spots. But with all the ins and outs that happened with this movie over the years, getting Bale as Dickey Ecklund was worth all the frustration. I know there was a time when Wahlberg was gonna play Dickey, I just can't imagine how that woulda worked. Damon was supposed to play Mickey in that scenario.

Overall I'd say high 80s.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #5093
macmac
Gov'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I went to see The Fighter last night. As someone who's lived on and off with an addict brother for the past 7 years, Christian Bale should be nominated for an oscar. I'd say he should be a lock to win, but frankly I haven't seen enough this year to say for sure. All I know is he was spot on. Honestly, there were spots of it that cut a little close to the bone.

It was really outstanding. It's got a few moments that I would describe as a bit hokey. Amy Adams felt a bit tacked on, even though she did a pretty good job. The griminess of the area would've been interesting to see how Aranofsky would've handled it, because that seems to be something he excels at. I imagine it would've been grittier but perhaps not quite as light in spots. But with all the ins and outs that happened with this movie over the years, getting Bale as Dickey Ecklund was worth all the frustration. I know there was a time when Wahlberg was gonna play Dickey, I just can't imagine how that woulda worked. Damon was supposed to play Mickey in that scenario.

Overall I'd say high 80s.

Very good analysis. Solid movie overall. It starts off a bit slow and there's a couple of instances that were,as you said, hokey or corny to start things off.
The third act was really good and gave the movie momentum and a strong finish, left it off on a good note.. Wahlberg, imo, is not a very good or believable actor, which is even more obvious when he shares screen time with the incredible Bale. Man, was Bale solid in this role. The Batman movies made me forget about this guy's range.

The intro/outro interviews with both of them was wow, something else, you could tell Wahlberg was just sitting there going, man can this guy act! ....Makes the Calvin Klein model's whole career seem obsolete in comparison.

The movie has an old school feel to it. It's nowhere close to a Raging Bull, but in this day and age, where good big budget hollywood flicks are few and far between, I'd rate this movie a solid 8.
macmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #5094
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Very good analysis. Solid movie overall. It starts off a bit slow and there's a couple of instances that were,as you said, hokey or corny to start things off.
The third act was really good and gave the movie momentum and a strong finish, left it off on a good note.. Wahlberg, imo, is not a very good or believable actor, which is even more obvious when he shares screen time with the incredible Bale. Man, was Bale solid in this role. The Batman movies made me forget about this guy's range.

The intro/outro interviews with both of them was wow, something else, you could tell Wahlberg was just sitting there going, man can this guy act! ....Makes the Calvin Klein model's whole career seem obsolete in comparison.

The movie has an old school feel to it. It's nowhere close to a Raging Bull, but in this day and age, where good big budget hollywood flicks are few and far between, I'd rate this movie a solid 8.

You're right about Wahlberg. One of the worst performances in one of the worst movies I can remember from the past decade was him in The Happening. And I sort of like him. I have such a fond memories of him in Boogie Nights. But the thing about that is, he's playing a character that expressly can't act, and is uncomfortable. It was a perfect fit really. This movie was his baby though, and he deserves some credit for that. He was all over the place trying to get this made. Was willing to play any role, or step aside all together. He must have some connection to them from his days back in Boston. I didn't really think he was that bad in this. The moments where was overwhelmed by Dickey's charisma played right into where he was next to Bale.

Amy Adams often seems attractive in an odd, realistic, attainable kind of a way.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #5095
Captain Kirk
Beat the world...

Buried

Hard to say much about this movie without spoiling it. I liked it for the most part. I find Ryan Renolds a bit goofy, but this is a decent movie. It's worth watching for the ending alone though. I rate this movie: Okay
Old 12-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #5096
FatComputerNerd
College star

I watched Winters Bone the other night. I'd seen it talked about here, possibly in a different thread, and decided to check it out.

I thought it was pretty good.
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:11 PM   #5097
Captain Kirk
Beat the world...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
I actually just watched that. Best movie ever to take place entirely inside a coffin.

Yeah right. Was that ending not f'd up though? Not f'd up as in terrible but sort of f'd up in a dark comedy type of way.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:08 AM   #5098
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

the hurricane. solid 7/10. denzel was really good in it. the makers just took wayyy too many liberties when it came to portraying carter. there was quite a bit of truth bending.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:24 AM   #5099
vapid
Paranoid Android

Of course Raj da Dodge gave Just Wright an 8/10.

Black Swan: Second best movie of the year (Inception being #1. So far.)

The Fighter: Very good acting, disappointing fight scenes and soundtrack. 6-7/10
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:25 AM   #5100
bladefd
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm
the hurricane. solid 7/10. denzel was really good in it. the makers just took wayyy too many liberties when it came to portraying carter. there was quite a bit of truth bending.

Great movie, saw it a while back. The acting is just great and I really liked the story-line (Hollywood did make parts of it overly dramatic, but still very good). Definitely one of my top 10 boxing movies ever - around 8-9.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: