Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-17-2010, 03:32 AM   #5101
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

8.5/10
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:21 AM   #5102
Captain Kirk
Beat the world...

Captain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undisputed
I can't believe that movie was even made, man. I check out everything with Adrian Brody in it, but I'm losing some faith in him after Predators and Splice.

But THAT scene that you speak of...

You didn't like Predators?
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:22 AM   #5103
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kirk
You didn't like Predators?
Your saying its good? The one with Topher Grace?
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:24 AM   #5104
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I enjoyed Predators, but I'm extremely bias.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:28 AM   #5105
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I enjoyed Predators, but I'm extremely bias.
You should elaborate
Old 10-17-2010, 04:38 AM   #5106
Undisputed
Devil without a cause

Undisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I liked Predators, it just didn't live up to my expectations. Coolest scene in the movie was the Hanzo Vs. Predator scene.

So kickass.
Undisputed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:39 AM   #5107
Stinky Dog
Local High School Star

Stinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputation

Now that I have a netflix account I stream like 10 movies a week.

Bad Lieutenant (2009) - 8.9/10 - I'm a huge fan of Abel Ferrara's film but this was really remake but Herzog suggests he never even saw the original. I believe him and this is an excellent rendition of one of my all time favorite films.

Cruising - 9.2/10 - Al Pacino stars in this William Friedkin gritty 1981 Slasher film. A knife yielding Serial Killer is terrorizing the meat packing distract pre Aids leather scene. Pacino is a young cop who goes undercover but ends up getting more then he bargained for.

Felon - 4.4/10 - Was hoping this would be one of those so bad it's good type movies, kind of like Undisputed where you have Wesley Snipes building mini villages out of toothpicks (priceless), but even fat Val Kilmer couldn't save it.
I'm a sucker for prison drama too but this was really lacking substance.

The Vanishing - 8.6/10 - Holy smokes this dutch thriller was disturbing. When a man's wife gets kidnapped at a gas station you delve straight into a twisted story that left me feeling uncomfortable in a good way.

Satan's Playground - 2.1/10 I love campy films and I love the Pine Barrens in New Jersey but this was total trash.

Star Trek 7.9/10 - Very impressive visuals, story was solid minus a lot of fluffy stuff (too be expected), Eric Bana shined as the villain. Very entertaining, sure it was a blast at the theaters. The next generation of Star Trek is fun and not quite as geeky.

Afterschool 7.4/10 - Pretty quality little indie flick about a high school student who captures a fellow classmate overdosing while shooting a school project.

Shiver - 5.8/10 - Spanish horror film about some mildly scary half human/wolf that is killing people in a small town. Worth a watch for fans of the genre.
Stinky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:42 AM   #5108
Undisputed
Devil without a cause

Undisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Dog
Now that I have a netflix account I stream like 10 movies a week.
The beauty of Netflix. I signed up about three months ago and been binging out on TV shows and movies. I barely even play games on my X-Box since I got it.
Undisputed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:23 AM   #5109
Captain Kirk
Beat the world...

Captain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Your saying its good? The one with Topher Grace?

Yep & yep. But maybe I'm also biased, I just can't get enough of anything Brody. Except Splice...don't want to see that again.
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #5110
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It's been slow going on the new movie front for me this year, but I went twice this weekend.

Friday I finally got around to seeing The Town. Affleck is a smarmy looking bastard, but it's come time to admit that he's a talented guy. He's a really good director. He does the gritty, grimy looking thing about as good as anybody. His style reminds me a lot of Clint Eastwood. And I know some of it is the familiarity of his work to Mystic River. But there's more to it than that. It's got a lot of the blueish light that Clint uses a lot and makes things look harsh and overcast and real.
The movie certainly isn't ground breaking in any real way, but it's exceptionally good at what it's doing. The Point Break in local Boston is an applicable description, but it's not really the knock it seems to get read as. Jeremy Renner is great. He seems to be the go to guy for the cocky, hyper competitive Napolean complex guy in pretty much any setting at this point. And Affleck looks the part as the lead role at least, even though there's not a ton there. There is a little. He's desire to get out, his resolving his background, and his affection for the bank manager all provide a little content for him to chew on. And Jon Hamm is spectacular as the FBI guy, because he needs to be a bit of prick so you can root for the bad guys. And he pulls it off without ever seeming like a cartoon character.
But the point of this thing is the shootouts. And there's three of them that are all incredibly well done. I've gotten away from action movies over the years because I hate the way they're shot tight and cut to cut to cut. They trick you into thinking your seeing things you're not. And it doesn't work for me. But this was handled pretty damn well. Particularly the tight street getaway scene. Just really well done.
It's certainly got some holes. The relationship with the bank manager just springs outta nowhere. And like I said, there's not a ton of meat for most of the characters. But it's really good at what it is. Low to mid 80s for me.

Then yesterday I went to see The Social Network. I don't even have a facebook, although it's getting to the point where I feel like I need to get one. But it's Fincher, so I woulda gone to see it if it were about basket weaving. And the compelling thing about it is how it's put to together. It could've easily been about Sir Thomas and Dave Lender disputing the advent of the english muffin. But it's the way the story is told. Through flashbacks through two seperate lawsuit depositions spell out an incredibly odd and dense story. And because it plays on two seperate lawsuits, you're bouncing back and fourth between weather Eisenberg's Zuckerberg is a genius fighting back against a priveledged social structure, or a complete asshole who bailed out on his only friend. It's a fascinating structure to a story. Eisenberg is really good. Justin Timberlake is really good, and his Sean Parker is a highpoint of the movie. It's such a widespread story. And it's just exceptionally done. Even the music was great. There was a scene early one where he was running across campus and the music had a dark, almost horror like edge that was really suspensefull. (I just looked it up, and Trent Reznor did the music). Actually, it's based on a Ben Mezrich novel, and I loved Taking Down the House, even though they butchered the movie, so I guess with all those quality people involved, it's not a surprise I liked it as much as I did.
Anyway, I'll give it a high 80s, and I feel like it could get better upon more viewings. There's that much going on, but I'm not positive the content can hold up to it.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #5111
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Lamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I thought Timberlake was extra shitty and I thought he'd been surprisingly good in the two other films I saw him in. Total miscast and poor performance IMO.
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #5112
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
I thought Timberlake was extra shitty and I thought he'd been surprisingly good in the two other films I saw him in. Total miscast and poor performance IMO.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #5113
FCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Dog
Felon - 4.4/10 - Was hoping this would be one of those so bad it's good type movies, kind of like Undisputed where you have Wesley Snipes building mini villages out of toothpicks (priceless), but even fat Val Kilmer couldn't save it.
I'm a sucker for prison drama too but this was really lacking substance.

I gotta disagree with you on this one. I watched Felon a few years ago when it was new. I thought it was very well-done, and also rather powerful emotionally.

I'd give it at least a 6.5/10 if not a 7-7.5

Last edited by FCN : 10-17-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #5114
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

karate kid remake. 6/10.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #5115
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

karate kid remake. 6/10.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: