Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #5221
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

inception

7/10

looked beautiful. nolan's comic book writing from the dark knight definitely bled over to the final version of this script. just like all of those characters explicitly spelled out all of their motivations at least twice for the audience, here the heavy-handed expository dialogue continues throughout the climax of the movie. and not just as a means of explaining the mechanics of the dreams. in the beginning, when arthur meets cobb in his hotel room before the helicopter ride, cobb tells an already in-the-loop arthur (something along the lines of) "we have to get to the ______ corporation by ______ because by now they've already figured out we've failed." yeah, we just saw that, and arthur was there with you throughout the job.

just like all of nolan's other movies, i can't see myself re-watching it. i can't imagine putting up with all the hand-holding again after the number of times i rolled my eyes on the first viewing.

getting past that, it was a movie that entertained for around 2 of its 2.5 hours, and i'm glad i saw it. it's already filed away, though.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #5222
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

That kind of stuff is just something you tend to have to deal with in most movies. I don't know how many times I've been watching something with two experts(at whatever) discussing a job/project or what-have-you, and when one says something to the effect of "Will we have to use the _______?", the other goes on to give a fairly detailed explanation of what the _______ actually does. Even though you'd have no such explanation given by two such experts in real life, because it would be unnecessary. They do that for the audience's benefit.

It's just one of those things.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #5223
heyhey
stay mad golden state

heyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
That kind of stuff is just something you tend to have to deal with in most movies. I don't know how many times I've been watching something with two experts(at whatever) discussing a job/project or what-have-you, and when one says something to the effect of "Will we have to use the _______?", the other goes on to give a fairly detailed explanation of what the _______ actually does. Even though you'd have no such explanation given by two such experts in real life, because it would be unnecessary. They do that for the audience's benefit.

It's just one of those things.

More so for American films. Remember the Departed? if anyone saw the original films Infernal Affairs, things were much more subtle and a lot less were explicitly conversed. But Americans audience are usually uncomfortable with such ambiguity and prefer things to be stated explictly "to acomplish X we are going to do Y"

there are certain americans directors who diverge from this tho. David Lynch who has shown shades of Inngmar bergman with films like Mulholland Drive

Last edited by heyhey : 11-06-2010 at 12:27 PM.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #5224
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Really beautiful done film. Firth's performance was fantastic, as I'm sure everyone knows by now. The score was fantastic and set the overall tone and feeling perfectly. The cinematography was good and the writing was very good (it was based off a novel tho right?) The ending sequence caught me a little off gaurd and was one of my favorite parts of the movie, especially the quote about moments of clarity. The movie also makes me want to pick up a Huxley novel.

92/100

Last edited by Jailblazers7 : 11-07-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #5225
heyhey
stay mad golden state

heyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

rewatched Fantastic Mr. Fox

9/10

Endearing, funny, clever, stylish. Vintage Wes Anderson at his finest. I thought Anderson fallen off a bit with Life Aquatic and Darjeeling but this reinstated my faith in him.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:07 AM   #5226
Captain Kirk
Beat the world...

Captain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation here

Chatroom

Not a bad movie. A decent take o the reality of virtual reality and how vulnerable many of its users are, not to mention the people who prey on these people. I rate this movie: Good
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:15 AM   #5227
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I return! With like a 4 sentence review of Holy Rollers. Hasidic Jews smuggle in X from Europe, Jesse Eisenberg's the main guy.

First time writer and director (I think), and given that, pretty promising flick. But just really undeveloped, lots of hints at storylines w/o giving you anything but a tease with any of them. Technically it's well enough made (though there are a few needles "film school shots"), but the pacing's fairly poor. I want to like Jesse Eisenberg, I think he's A LOT more than just a Michael Cera look-a-like, but I don't know if it was him not having the chops, the script not delving deep enough, or just too many scenes cut (it's 90 minutes, 120 could make it a lot better), there's a few what should be emotional scenes between him and his extremely devout father (well played btw) that you have no attachment to. Anyway, all in all, it flirts with you, but just leaves your balls blue. I wouldn't tell anyone NOT to watch it, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to just anyone either.

6/10

Oh, and Justin Bartha (the guy on the roof in 95% of The Hangover) is the best actor in the movie as the neighbor of Eisenberg that gets him involved, I was surprised. I hated him in The Hangover, had no idea he had legitimate ability.

Last edited by InspiredLebowski : 11-07-2010 at 01:17 AM.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:18 AM   #5228
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Kick-Ass

I wasn't expecting much, and that's what I got. I'd give it a 6/10, and would not watch it again. Nothing wowed me, I didn't laugh, the final battle was the best part of the movie, but still wasn't amazing.

Defendor was better at the wannabe superhero idea, as well as was better acted, and directed. I would only give Defendor a 7 by the way.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:20 AM   #5229
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I honestly thought Defondor kinda stunk, but my affinity for Woody makes me give it a neutral/positive review.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:25 AM   #5230
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

scott pilgrim vs the world 8.0

semi pro 6.0

just wright 3.0
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:34 AM   #5231
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
I honestly thought Defondor kinda stunk, but my affinity for Woody makes me give it a neutral/positive review.

Yeah it did kind of stink, and it was depressing. A 7 was generous just now, but I really wasn't feeling Kick-Ass at all.

They both deserve a 6-ish score to me.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:40 AM   #5232
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

I didn't really dislike Kick Ass or anything, but it really couldn't decide what it wanted to be. It was like a mix of Watchmen and...I don't know, any other goofy superhero flick with a heavy sucose dose. I don't know anything about the comic so I have no idea if there was a trade off or anything. I thought Hit Girl was great, I'd definitely watch a her and Big Daddy specific flick. They got the R rating anyway, they should've explored Hit Girl instead of letting McLovin's retarded flash in the pan ass dominate the screen time. I don't wanna hate, but I hate that kid.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:48 AM   #5233
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Quote:
I didn't really dislike Kick Ass or anything, but it really couldn't decide what it wanted to be. It was like a mix of Watchmen and...I don't know, any other goofy superhero flick with a heavy sucose dose. I don't know anything about the comic so I have no idea if there was a trade off or anything. I thought Hit Girl was great, I'd definitely watch a her and Big Daddy specific flick. They got the R rating anyway, they should've explored Hit Girl instead of letting McLovin's retarded flash in the pan ass dominate the screen time. I don't wanna hate, but I hate that kid.

I don't know anything about the comic either. I did read a little on imdb last night, and they mentioned that it was less dark than the comic. Kick-Ass' mom was supposed to be killed by the mob, which set him off or something.

Hit Girl and Big Daddy were the best, if it was just them it would've been more enjoyable. 11 year olds saying, "Cunt" is always funny. I don't completely hate Mintz-Plasse but he should've not been in the movie. The main guy was basically him anyway.

I guess there's supposed to be a sequel coming in like a year and a half too.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:29 AM   #5234
Captain Kirk
Beat the world...

Captain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation hereCaptain Kirk has an incredible reputation here

The first half of Kick-Ass = Great potential to be awesome.

The second of half (which introduced Hit Girl) = Just ruined what had potential. Became mindless action.
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:36 AM   #5235
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Quote:

Wonder what her story was in the comics. I'm just wondering how her character could possibly have any depth. A 6 year old vigilante isn't exactly ripe for complexity.

Kick Ass was meh in my opinion. They went out of their way to make a "different" type of superhero film but just winded up following the same formula, reluctant and unlikely hs kid becomes a vigilante. I just don't think hte source material was enough to support a great film.

Just saw The Motorcycle Diaries.

8/10 Honestly one of hte most powerful film i seen in a while. Beautiful scenery captured in the principal photography. THe film never seems preachy despite its bildungsroman theme. It captures the core altruism and idealism that framed Guevara's journey and imbues the audience with an emotional understanding of Che's eventual revolutionary aims.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: