Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #5251
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Da Dodge
Gotta question, if a movie is NOT a blu ray disc but if you put it in a blu ray player and play it in the blu ray player will the non blu ray disc/regular format get the same quality and resolution as a blu ray disc?

No, although I think most blu-ray players can upscale a dvd, the picture will not be anywhere near blu-ray quality.

DVD is standard definition, 480i or 480p.

Blu-ray is 1080p

A DVD dual layer disc is like 9 GB. That means when they compress video from film to DVD data, it has a limit of 9 GB. The more compression, the less quality the video will be. Most movies are around 5GB in size)

Which is why Divx bootleg movies are around 700 MB (so they can fit on CDRs)

Blu-Ray discs have a storage of up to 50GB dual layer, 25 GB single layer. Therefore the video doesn't need to be compressed as much with roughly 5 times more space.

Blu-Ray potentially can output 5 times the picture quality as DVD. The Blu-Ray player can't output a better picture with 5GB of video data as it would with a 20+ GB video data.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #5252
Nova6
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring in 1080p on my laptop.... like I've said in another thread, I'm planning on rewatching the trilogy in succession, for the first time in direct succession and really having only seen it in the theaters and then maybe once on DVD.

While fully knowing and understanding the plot, but not really remembering the specifics of the actual film, I was thoroughly entertained by Peter Jackson's rendition of the first installment of the classic fantasy novels.

The special effects and CGI did seem a tad dated, which makes sense seeing as how it came out almost 10 years ago, but in no way did it take away from the viewing experience. I guess i didn't really realize how well done these films were, and how epic they were in scale and depth.

Well done, Peter Jackson, and I'm looking forward to watching Two Towers probably tonight and tomorrow night.

8.2/10

I also really wanna see all of the lord of the rings again. It has been far to long
Nova6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #5253
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova6
I also really wanna see all of the lord of the rings again. It has been far to long

If you have Blu-Ray capabilities, or if you pirate media, and can watch it on 720p or 1080p *.mkv files, I highly recommend it.

This is the first time I've seen it in any kind of hi-def, and its pretty stunning.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #5254
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
I've been meaning to watch all three again myself. Want to make a marathon of it and watch them in one day. I also have them in Bluray rips, custom rips though.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Definitely really nice quality.

Thats a long day staring at the screen.... the first one was a solid 2:45 outside of the opening and ending credits.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #5255
Patrick Chewing
King of the 5 Boroughs

You guys got me in Middle-Earth mode. The Hobbit needs to hurry up and come out.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #5256
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
FotR is 2:58
TTT is 2:59
RotK is 3:21

So yeah. And these aren't even the extended versions, though I don't think those are on Bluray yet(or are they?)

Couldn't tell ya... although for the most part I don't really care for the "Extended Version" or "Director's Cut Edition" of films unless I'm a really, really, big fan or have seen it countless times.

As far as I'm concerned that extra 25 minutes, or whatever it might be, was cut from the final release for a reason, so unless I simply cannot get enough of the movie i'd rather just let it be gone.

But thats just me.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #5257
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Thornton
i've watched the extended editions more than the original releases and they add some nice stuff, but its not necessary. the best thing about those extended editions is all the special features. hours of stuff to watch.

are you really black?
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #5258
leopoldstotch
Book 'em Dan'l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizno
the book went a lot more into the political aspect of it. at the end when they went to visit madame, in the movie it didn't really explain that madame led an organization that was against raising kids to donate their organs. she was trying to prove that they were children just like anybody else, and the book explained how hard she and her organization tried to stop the donation procedures. also, the book spent a lot more time focusing on their childhood.

'Never Let Me Go' is 1 of my top 5 favorite films of the year. I have very high expectations for Mark Romanek. Although the guy unfortunately has done only 3 premiere movies (2 in the last 10 years), it's enough for me to say he's great. if you like this movie, watch 'One Hour Photo'. probably the best robin williams movie ever.
leopoldstotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #5259
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

I Love You Phillip Morris - 9/10

this was a great movie. the acting was phenomenal (ewan mcgregor couldn't have been a more convincing gay guy) and the story was great, especially considering that it's all true (apparently). jim carrey was excellent as usual. there were two parts that had me laughing hysterically ("**** me with a flaming fist!"), and at other times you genuinely felt bad for the main characters. the score also fit the movie perfectly.

the only real complaint i have would be the gay scenes i guess. it really doesn't bother me that much but i thought they were a little excessive.
Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #5260
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

Quote:
Do you ever think straight scenes are a little excessive?

That phone call towards the end was a real tear-jerker.
no, not really. i know it's because i'm biased but still, gay sex scenes just aren't something i wanna look at. the cuddling was fine, that didn't bother me at all, but seeing jim carrey pound some dude's ass while he's yelling "*** in my ass!" just isn't what i like to see in movies

and yeah, that phone call really was. i was shocked when i found out that he was faking aids. it came together pretty well.
Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #5261
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Watched both parts in these past 2 days. Well done biopic. Del Toro put in a great performance and I loved the way the film was shot. Beautiful scenery, well scored, etc. His Bolivian campaign just seemed like one giant mistake by him. I'll have to read up on his history now after watching this. Really well done and I'd probably give it between a 7 or 8.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #5262
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

You really didn't hear much of that movie after it was released. I know I downloaded it a few times and never got around to it. Something about watching a 4 hour biopic on someone I have no interest in.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #5263
baseketball4life
7-time NBA All-Star

watched coming to america for the first time last night fuc*king hilarious throughout. that one facial expression eddie murphy makes like a dumba$$ is hilarious every time not to mention all the unintentional comedy by his character. definitely one of the top comedies i've seen solid 8.0/10 overall for me classic stuff.

next i think ill check out superbad believe it or not ive never seen it
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:44 AM   #5264
baseketball4life
7-time NBA All-Star

superbad just finished, definitely some funny parts but doesn't measure up to coming to america, i guess that one was a tough act to follow but i think superbad is a 7.0/10 very solid comedy good for its share of laughs and entertained throughout.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #5265
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

Saw Kick-Ass couple nights ago and daaamn what a bad ass movie!!! I thought it'd be stupid when I first saw the trailer a long time ago but I loved it! Great action! The story was good too, made me think about what his point was is actually true lol. Why hasn't anyone tried to be a superhero and try and save the shitty world we're in today. Also great actress, I loved Fonseca, she did a great job as Katie. Also some great sexual references lol. Overall, very cool awesome movie! Gotta give it

Kick-Ass - 9/10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I jus saw Little Fockers and thought it was stupid in my opinion. I mean there were some funny parts, there was also the gorgeous Jessica Alba, but other than her it was dumb. Best I can give it is a

Little Fockers - 5/10
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: