Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #5251
ZeN

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobs
oh, wow. that seems obvious. did they explicitly mention that, or did i just miss it?
You missed the obvious thing that didn't need to be audibly revealed. It cant be ex-boyfriends if one of them is a female.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #5252
Stinky Dog
Local High School Star

Brooklyn's Finest - 6.1/10 - While it may be highly contrived and over loaded with cliches I still found it to be pretty entertaining. It was definitely backed up with some strong performances courtesy of Ethan Hawke. Wish Vince D'Onofrio had a bigger role. The end was disappointing and pretty formulaic but it was a pretty decent cop drama.

Let The Right One In - 9.8/10 This was utterly fantastic. One of the best films I've seen in a very long time. It is so much more than just a vampire movie. Very touching and even heartwarming at times it really struck a deep chord. It had a similar impact that another cult favorite of mine 'Near Dark' had the first time I saw it. Highly, highly recommended.

Stranded - 4.3/10 - First and foremost I'm a huge Vincent Gallo fan. I'm also a sucker for science fiction and anything ET related. Conceptually this film was cool but it failed to execute. Still worth a watch for fans of the genre.
Stinky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #5253
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

The Player

Comedy|Crime|Drama|Mystery

Quote:
A studio executive is being blackmailed by a writer whose script he rejected but which one? Loaded with Hollywood insider jokes.
Trailer

Never even heard of this one before until recently. Really ahead of its time, with a lot of self-deprecating humor. Good stuff.

8.3/10
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:33 AM   #5254
oneeyeddeacon
I brick open layups

Irreversible

10/10

Finally got around to watching this, and I must say, this movie was absolutely incredible. It's pretty graphic, but it was seriously one of the most amazing cinematic experiences I've ever had. I really loved the disorienting camerawork, the graphic but powerful violence, the backwards storytelling, basically everything about it. I really can't praise this movie enough.
oneeyeddeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #5255
ukplayer4
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
The Player

Comedy|Crime|Drama|Mystery

Trailer

Never even heard of this one before until recently. Really ahead of its time, with a lot of self-deprecating humor. Good stuff.

8.3/10

that last film i reviewed- mccabe and mrs miller was also altman- check it out if you get a chance.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #5256
ukplayer4
NBA rookie of the year

the kids are alright- very, very good intimate drama/comedy, nicely observed, tight and restrained. one of the best 3 or 4 films ive seen this year.
9/10
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #5257
BRabbiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Dog
Brooklyn's Finest - 6.1/10 - While it may be highly contrived and over loaded with cliches I still found it to be pretty entertaining. It was definitely backed up with some strong performances courtesy of Ethan Hawke. Wish Vince D'Onofrio had a bigger role. The end was disappointing and pretty formulaic but it was a pretty decent cop drama.

yeah, i enjoyed it, too.

6 is about right, though.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #5258
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Dream Home

Horror

Trailer

They wouldn't slash prices, so she slashed them! OK, that's not really how this plays out, but this is still a pretty solid, super stylish Chinese slasher flick for our tough economic times.

I had a bit of a problem with the subtitles. I don't know, just seemed like whoever did them wasn't that great of an English speaker or something. Definitely felt like something was lost in translation; there were a lot of awkwardly worded sentences. Not really a fault of the movie, though, and didn't cause me problems in understanding anything. It's like a sober Gundress did them.

7.5/10
Old 11-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #5259
clipse026
Local High School Star

The Hurt Locker - 6/10

I finally got around to watching it after seeing all the stuff it won. I have to say that I didn't really enjoy it but I could see how some people could. There wasn't really much character development imo and it was honestly pretty boring. I find it hard to believe that many guys would last like that being so careless with these explosives. I know he told his guys they could leave him but he certainly kept them in harms way too often for my liking.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #5260
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

The Reef

Trailer

Open Water meets Jaws is a pretty apt description for this one. I've always liked these kinds of movie, and this didn't disappoint. How they ended up in their predicament was a bit suspect to me(how could a boat that big just capsize like that? It's not like they were in a dingy), and I also thought the decision to swim for land that they couldn't even see rather than wait for rescue on a boat that may or may not sink seemed a little rash, but everything after that was great. A lot of tension, suspense, good underwater photography, and very convincing effects. Had me on the edge of my seat a few times. A bit predictable, with OK acting.

7/10
Old 11-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #5261
JohnWall2
JOHN WALL ALLDAYERRDAY

shuld make a movie of ma life
JohnWall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #5262
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

48 hrs.

6/10

eddie murphy's first movie. he's still a work in progress, and nick nolte's grizzled cop provides most of the comedy. he's hilarious in this, even if he is just playing himself.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #5263
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer
now, im sure im way late and lots of you have seen it but my hollywood renaissance viewing does not extend to having seen everything of relevance(therefore its poor). this one blew me away and then some, i watched it late last night and literally couldnt get to sleep for hours through replaying the film in my mind. one of the most haunting and engaging films ive seen in a long time. i wont say too much about it but its a feast, beautiful, horrible, funny and so emotionally draining. beatty is just brilliant, the whole subversion of the traditional western story, characters and themes is handled beautifully by altman. its a very downbeat film at its heart tho, very sad. id draw certain comparisons with no country for old men and perhaps the assassination of jesse james.
10/10
Haunting is a great way to put it. The scene with the young cowboy on the bridge with the gunslinger... wow. It'll be in my dreams. Ebert put it right. That's one of the saddest, most heart-breaking moments in the history of the genre.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:19 PM   #5264
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
that last film i reviewed- mccabe and mrs miller was also altman- check it out if you get a chance.

That movie depressed the shit out of me. The Leonard Cohen soundtrack was so perfect.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:48 AM   #5265
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I was surprised to see Denzel cast as Don Pedro but I thought the movie was pretty well cast and acted out. The setting was almost exactly as I imagine when reading the play. Looks like it was actually filmed in the actual Italian countryside and I'd love to visit where this was filmed. Keanu had a small, simple rule as Don John and he performed it well enough. Overall it was an enjoyable version of the play and did the work justice. Oh, and Emma Thompson was a babe back in the day.

70/100
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: