Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #5446
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness
 
Jailblazers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 23,018
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
That's a good call. Isn't The Deer Hunter an in-depth look at PTSD? I still haven't seen it, and I guess this one serves as a reminder that I have no reason not to. Maybe in the next few days.

I just watched an episode of The West Wing that dealt entirely with a cabinet guy experiencing the psychological aftereffects of an assassination attempt against the president. I'd never really considered the everyday descriptions of the disorder, mostly "reliving the moment" as you so often hear, in any meaningful way apart from knowing it probably sucked because the original moment probably sucked. It's still obviously the sort of thing that can't be contemplated without having been experienced first, like deja vu, but seeing the behavioral effects in the every day life of a fictional character sort of opened my eyes. I guess I was being naive before.

Yeah, The Deer Hunter is really the only recognizable film I could think of that addresses the issue of PTSD. I still haven't seen it, which is ridiculous because the setting is about 20 minutes from where I grew up and went to high school. I couldn't help but wonder why more movies haven't been made about it because it provides a really compelling angle to a movie and a number of good storylines and characters could be developed from it.
Jailblazers7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #5447
crosso√er
National High School Star
 
crosso√er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,133
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

King's Speech, 10/10.
crosso√er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #5448
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,548
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

I'm surprised you guys forgot Born On the Fourth of July. Or if you really want to stretch it, Jacob's Ladder.

Well, there's actually a lot of war movies that display elements of PTSD, or war stress in general: Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket

Most truly great war movies at least have on small element of someone going through early stages of PTSD or war stress: Marlon Brando and Martin Sheen in AN, Tom Berenger in Platoon, Matthew Modine in Full Metal Jacket

Once again, not necessarily full blown PTSD, but It's obvious the filmmakers were trying or attempting to display the stresses of war and combat.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #5449
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: goodbyecruelworld
Posts: 18,992
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

I thought of the big three Vietnam flicks, but I was talking about a feature on PTSD where the filmmaker draws some conscious attention to it, as opposed to just alluding to it through the behavior of characters. Where it's underlined that that's the process taking place. But maybe that's not at all what The Deer Hunter, Brothers, or Born on the Fourth of July (haven't even heard of it) try to do, and I'm still on a kick from the West Wing.

Jacob's Latter I definitely need to see.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #5450
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,548
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
I thought of the big three Vietnam flicks, but I was talking about a feature on PTSD where the filmmaker draws some conscious attention to it, as opposed to just alluding to it through the behavior of characters. Where it's underlined that that's the process taking place. But maybe that's not at all what The Deer Hunter, Brothers, or Born on the Fourth of July (haven't even heard of it) try to do, and I'm still on a kick from the West Wing.

Jacob's Latter I definitely need to see.

Born was supposed to be Tom Cruise's epic movie vehicle but it never really happened for him. I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it, It's often looked over rather easily compared to It's predecessors, and justly so. If I were to compare it to something else, It's kind of like the Burn After Reading of the Coen Brothers movies, the Coens Brothers movies being all of the other great war movies that people instantly think of. Burn After Reading [BOtFoJ] was good, but not great, and certainly will be something that's easily forgotten in say, a decade.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #5451
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,377
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Most truly great war movies at least have on small element of someone going through early stages of PTSD or war stress: Marlon Brando and Martin Sheen in AN, Tom Berenger in Platoon, Matthew Modine in Full Metal Jacket
Sorry to interject on the (good) point you are making, and I know you were being brief for the sake of being brief, but at the same time, the entire cast of characters in Platoon are in different stages of a psychologically-altered state induced by living in a war zone. Honestly, to me, Berenger's character seems the least affected by all of it (which you could probably argue makes him the most mentally ill), as compared to guys that are just falling apart at the seams (Junior), teetering on the edge of insanity (Bunny), or one traumatic event away from a complete nervous collapse (O'Neill). It goes on and one. Just one of the elements that makes it such a classic film. Glad you brought it up.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #5452
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,548
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Sorry to interject on the (good) point you are making, and I know you were being brief for the sake of being brief, but at the same time, the entire cast of characters in Platoon are in different stages of a psychologically-altered state induced by living in a war zone. Honestly, to me, Berenger's character seems the least affected by all of it (which you could probably argue makes him the most mentally ill), as compared to guys that are just falling apart at the seams (Junior), teetering on the edge of insanity (Bunny), or one traumatic event away from a complete nervous collapse (O'Neill). It goes on and one. Just one of the elements that makes it such a classic film. Glad you brought it up.

You know as I was writing that I was having a hard time remembering the film, as I've only seen it once [again, sorry]. This is something I want to get on Blu Ray very soon and watch several times. I feel like It's one of the movies that I overlook and I probably shouldn't. You're most likely right, as It's your favorite movie, so forgive me for being brief.

And you know what? As long as we're on the subject of movies that I overlook. Is it weird to anyone that I've seen Goodfellas plenty of times, I love the movie, but when I'm thinking of where it would rank on my favorite films of all time, it wouldn't crack my top 50? It just seems odd to me.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #5453
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 30,433
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I still haven't seen it, which is ridiculous because the setting is about 20 minutes from where I grew up and went to high school.
...which also happens to be my hometown. Where did you go to high school, out of curiosity?

And, yeah... You really need to see the Deer Hunter (ridonks, too). Especially since you hail from this area. There is a reason they chose Steubenville for filming. It has a very strong presence in the movie.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #5454
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,548
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Wait, what? Neither of them have seen it? You f*cking guys, goddamnit.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #5455
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: goodbyecruelworld
Posts: 18,992
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

That's the one where Jim Belushi plays a butcher, right?
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #5456
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,377
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
You know as I was writing that I was having a hard time remembering the film, as I've only seen it once [again, sorry]. This is something I want to get on Blu Ray very soon and watch several times. I feel like It's one of the movies that I overlook and I probably shouldn't. You're most likely right, as It's your favorite movie, so forgive me for being brief.

And you know what? As long as we're on the subject of movies that I overlook. Is it weird to anyone that I've seen Goodfellas plenty of times, I love the movie, but when I'm thinking of where it would rank on my favorite films of all time, it wouldn't crack my top 50? It just seems odd to me.
I feel the exact same way about Goodfellas. Unfortunately for Scorsese, the Godfather and Godfather Pt. II exist, so all the great crime films he's done (Goodfellas, Casino, Mean Streets, the Departed) are on this sort of tier that you realize and acknowledge as being very, very good, but in the back of your mind kind of scoff at them for being so very far from the caliber of the first two Godfather films. That's how it is for me, anyway.

As for Platoon, I'm not sure that it's my absolute favorite film, but it's certainly in that group. I haven't watched it for awhile either. One thing I've always been impressed with is how real it still feels 25 years later. When talking about epic war films/series', there's two groups: everything pre-Saving Private Ryan (which certainly don't portray the horrors of war on the same visual and auditory level), and everything post-SPR. The fact that the battle scenes, wounds, etc. don't seem dated in a film that came out before exceedingly graphic violence became the norm (and become what we're used to in war films) is truly amazing.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #5457
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness
 
Jailblazers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 23,018
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
...which also happens to be my hometown. Where did you go to high school, out of curiosity?

And, yeah... You really need to see the Deer Hunter (ridonks, too). Especially since you hail from this area. There is a reason they chose Steubenville for filming. It has a very strong presence in the movie.

Is your hometown Steubenville or Clairton, PA because I was referring to where the story took place in. I wasn't aware it was mostly filmed in Stuebenville. I went to school at South Park, PA.

Anyway, I was refering to PTSD as a main development in a story outside of the battlefield and readjusting to soceity. I've had a limited experience watching military movies because I just don't watch movies that often so PTSD as a whole could very well play a larger role in films than I realise. Just a thought that occured while I was watching Brothers.
Jailblazers7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #5458
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 30,433
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Is your hometown Steubenville or Clairton, PA because I was referring to where the story took place in. I wasn't aware it was mostly filmed in Stuebenville. I went to school at South Park, PA.

Anyway, I was refering to PTSD as a main development in a story outside of the battlefield and readjusting to soceity. I've had a limited experience watching military movies because I just don't watch movies that often so PTSD as a whole could very well play a larger role in films than I realise. Just a thought that occured while I was watching Brothers.

My hometown is Steubenville.

Most of the filming in the little town is Steubenville (and neighboring Mingo Jct). Clairton is used -- I think -- only for the church scenes.

The bar, the mills, the neighborhoods, etc. are all Steubenville/Mingo.

The hunting scenes, I believe, are shot somewhere in the state of Washington. I don't believe there are mountains like those in either eastern Ohio or PA.

But, yeah... the majority of the filming was done on this side of the river.

And there is no doubt that PTSD is a main theme in the movie. There is a ton of stuff going on, so it is much more than that, but that is certainly an important aspect of it.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #5459
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,548
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
I feel the exact same way about Goodfellas. Unfortunately for Scorsese, the Godfather and Godfather Pt. II exist, so all the great crime films he's done (Goodfellas, Casino, Mean Streets, the Departed) are on this sort of tier that you realize and acknowledge as being very, very good, but in the back of your mind kind of scoff at them for being so very far from the caliber of the first two Godfather films. That's how it is for me, anyway.

As for Platoon, I'm not sure that it's my absolute favorite film, but it's certainly in that group. I haven't watched it for awhile either. One thing I've always been impressed with is how real it still feels 25 years later. When talking about epic war films/series', there's two groups: everything pre-Saving Private Ryan (which certainly don't portray the horrors of war on the same visual and auditory level), and everything post-SPR. The fact that the battle scenes, wounds, etc. don't seem dated in a film that came out before exceedingly graphic violence became the norm (and become what we're used to in war films) is truly amazing.

I have a hard time ranking anything war related above Band of Brothers. I'm not even sure a combo like Apoc Now, Platoon, FMJ, can do it for me. Shoot me for this, but It's on the level of Godfather to me. It's that good.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #5460
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,377
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
I have a hard time ranking anything war related above Band of Brothers. I'm not even sure a combo like Apoc Now, Platoon, FMJ, can do it for me. Shoot me for this, but It's on the level of Godfather to me. It's that good.
Unfair to compare. One has ten hours to develop, the other has two.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:36 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy