Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #5641
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

I guess I'm the only usual suspect who didn't like Greenberg.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #5642
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

Quote:
I really loved Permanent Midnight
that doesn't ring any bells at all but the Wiki page makes it look pretty funny.

Quote:
I related with his character way to much... Scary actually.
damn man. we've spoken about our mutual social issues a few times here, but i sincerely hope you've got a better kickback voice of reason stopping you from doing stupid stuff than ol' Roger. lol

Quote:
I guess I'm the only usual suspect who didn't like Greenberg.
ah well, chances are if the two of you met, he'd find something he didn't like about you too.

A good movie bolstered by a spectacular lead performance and a fantastic score. This wasn't anything close to what I was expecting, but it lived up to the hype well enough. I want to say I'm a dues paying member of the Rockwell bandwagon brigade, but I still don't really know how I feel about him. I know I've been very impressed by him on a few occasions and I know that he's a great actor. Still, watching this movie reminded me that he's just not quite distinctive enough as an actor. This whole movie he seemed like an amalgamous blend of James Franco, Christian Bale, and somebody else. Maybe that should be a credit to his acting -- he was playing multiple personalities. I dunno, I just finished the movie and this was on my mind for a lot of it, so I might not be making it very coherent.

My major gripe with Moon was the ending. This actually reminds me that this is the second Rockwell movie that had an abrupt, premature ending -- Choke was the other. The live feed at the end? There could've been sooooo much to explore by making that a major part of a third and final act, but instead, it seemed to be severed early. The ending they used still worked and it wasn't by any means terrible, I just think a different path might have yielded better storytelling results. The newsfeed epilogue didn't work for me.

Kevin Spacey as GERTY was f*cking awesome, though I had no idea it was him while I was watching. The misdirection of the audience that this was just another 'man vs his ai' flick was really nicely done and it was a pretty original plot.

Overall, good movie with great individual efforts. I'd give it between and 8 and a 9. I'll edit this post with a real score once I crunch a few numbers and calculate one.

Last edited by RidonKs : 01-31-2011 at 07:30 PM.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #5643
Captain Kirk
Beat the world...

Apacolypto

Currently looking up how accurate it is, but this was my second or third time watching it and I enjoyed it much.

I rate this movie: Great
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #5644
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

yeah, i generally just try Google searches of ISH OTC with 'rate the last movie' and another keyword. it works sometimes but a lot of the time my searches are too obscure because i can't remember enough about it.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #5645
dwightderon
I usually hit open layups

Up - 6/10

I liked it until the whole storyline with the dude and his dogs came up...just felt too simplistic. 10 years ago I'd rate this much higher though.
dwightderon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #5646
alwaysunny
in Brooklyn

Always wanted to watch this but never got around till now for some reason. GREAT movie with so many memorable scenes. I know many will disagree but I think this is Michael Douglas' best performance..better than Wall Street, Fatal Attraction, Basic Instincts, whatever.

9/10
alwaysunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:05 PM   #5647
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Man...it can be hard to find older posts in this damn thread. And who the hell keeps rating it down? Not that that really matters but this is one of the better threads here. Anyway, I also saw that I Saw the Devil and am pretty sure I posted about it. Really awesome flick I thought.

I'm surprised you didn't like Greenberg Pete, since you like character study types so much.

Probably someone who doesn't like me. And yeah, I do love these kinds of movies however from what I can remember, my biggest gripe was the girl. I hated her, a lot.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:12 PM   #5648
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

i can see that, she was pretty flimsy. i bought it but some parts were questionable.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #5649
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

I reviewed the movie in here somewhere. I tried Googling but couldn't find it.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #5650
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I like how this is becoming the "BTE" without actually being one.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #5651
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I like how this is becoming the "BTE" without actually being one.

I personally think this is the best thread on ISH. Well, the OTC section. This thread has inspired so much incredible conversation. I just went back and looked at about 20 pages and It's really great. No one is arguing, people are giving long in depth reviews, some reviews are inspiring other people to watch that movie, It's great.

Also, biggest legit thread in this forum.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 PM   #5652
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I know it's helped me. I never even heard about a movie like Mr. Nobody even though it's exactly the type of movie I'd be interested in. Now I'm getting this Korean movie from a couple pages back.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:54 PM   #5653
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
I reviewed the movie in here somewhere. I tried Googling but couldn't find it.
just a little elbow grease
Old 01-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #5654
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I know it's helped me. I never even heard about a movie like Mr. Nobody even though it's exactly the type of movie I'd be interested in. Now I'm getting this Korean movie from a couple pages back.

Oh I've easily heard about tens of movies that I would have found eventually, but a lot longer after the fact. The Trotsky is one example.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #5655
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Yeah, check out Permanant Midnight. It's a comedy, but it's dark as hell. It's loosley based on a writer who wrote I believe for Alf, and his hardcore heroin problem during that time.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: