Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #5851
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

I watched that Exam movie:

5/10

big time MEH

is jennifer's body worth watching?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #5852
allabouthawks
Human highlight

watch knowing with nicolas cage that film is godlike

allabouthawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #5853
baseketball4life
7-time NBA All-Star

Very very good film. Really surprised it 'only' got a 7.3/10 on IMDB it's more like 8.0+ for sure to me. Very entertaining and intense all the way through, De Niro beasts as usual.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #5854
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

^ always a treat when scorsese puts his versatility on display. that was a very well done thriller with an all star cast.

the simpsons episode that parodied it (cape feare) did it a nice justice imo.

SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #5855
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I went Friday night to see Blue Valentine. I gotta say, that's pretty dark even by my miserable standards. It sort of reminded me of 500 Days of Summer in it's gimmick. It basically shows the complete dissolvement of this couples relationship over the course of the last week of their marriage. But it uses a ton of flashbacks to tell the full story of their relationship, not unlike 500 Days. But it's far far gritier and realistic, and not nearly as cute.

Both Gosling and Williams were great, particularly Gosling, and they deserve all the recognition they're getting for their performances. But that said, it wasn't terribly entertaining. I'm all for moody character studies, and in this case they're relationship pretty much is the character. But they hint at too much, dance around stuff. It gives you sort of that uncomfortable feeling of that 500 lb. elephant in the room people don't want to talk about, which in this case seems to be in part his drinking, but also his general childishness, and failure to thrive. It's a little disheartening because through the flashbacks you can almost see her falling for those same attributes about him, the childlike charm. He is quite charming even in the latter stages of the relationship. But as it moves forward and you see her holding those same things against him. And at the same time he's enough of a tool that you can't really blame her either. It has a very realistic feel. These aren't archetypes, they're pretty full, complete characters. But again, I'm not sure why thats something I should want to see.

It does sort of just end. Again, really dark. It was pretty sudden though. You expect some kind of resolution, even if they do split up, but it doesn't come. There were no shortage of people walking out shaking their head. There were girlfriends apologizing to their boyfriends comeing out, presumably because this was their choice, and even they didn't like it. I'd actually think a guy would be more inclined to like it. It was interesting in parts. There's some great dialogue, bordering on philosophical. And some of the more charming parts of Gosling can be funny and intrigueing. But overall it's just too bleak even for me. It's like the awkward silences were simply done too well, and made it hard to stomach.

I'll give it a low 80s. I'm a little torn on it. I could see people absolutely hating it, and understand it. And I could see people being so enthralled with the quality of the performances to think much more highly than that, so I'm sort of middling it here. But I still seem to be holding it in much lower esteem than most critics.

And there are a couple of all too realistic sex scenes in it too.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #5856
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I went Friday night to see Blue Valentine. I gotta say, that's pretty dark even by my miserable standards. It sort of reminded me of 500 Days of Summer in it's gimmick. It basically shows the complete dissolvement of this couples relationship over the course of the last week of their marriage. But it uses a ton of flashbacks to tell the full story of their relationship, not unlike 500 Days. But it's far far gritier and realistic, and not nearly as cute.

Both Gosling and Williams were great, particularly Gosling, and they deserve all the recognition they're getting for their performances. But that said, it wasn't terribly entertaining. I'm all for moody character studies, and in this case they're relationship pretty much is the character. But they hint at too much, dance around stuff. It gives you sort of that uncomfortable feeling of that 500 lb. elephant in the room people don't want to talk about, which in this case seems to be in part his drinking, but also his general childishness, and failure to thrive. It's a little disheartening because through the flashbacks you can almost see her falling for those same attributes about him, the childlike charm. He is quite charming even in the latter stages of the relationship. But as it moves forward and you see her holding those same things against him. And at the same time he's enough of a tool that you can't really blame her either. It has a very realistic feel. These aren't archetypes, they're pretty full, complete characters. But again, I'm not sure why thats something I should want to see.

It does sort of just end. Again, really dark. It was pretty sudden though. You expect some kind of resolution, even if they do split up, but it doesn't come. There were no shortage of people walking out shaking their head. There were girlfriends apologizing to their boyfriends comeing out, presumably because this was their choice, and even they didn't like it. I'd actually think a guy would be more inclined to like it. It was interesting in parts. There's some great dialogue, bordering on philosophical. And some of the more charming parts of Gosling can be funny and intrigueing. But overall it's just too bleak even for me. It's like the awkward silences were simply done too well, and made it hard to stomach.

I'll give it a low 80s. I'm a little torn on it. I could see people absolutely hating it, and understand it. And I could see people being so enthralled with the quality of the performances to think much more highly than that, so I'm sort of middling it here. But I still seem to be holding it in much lower esteem than most critics.

And there are a couple of all too realistic sex scenes in it too.

i cant wait to see this movie
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #5857
baseketball4life
7-time NBA All-Star

Another very very good film, De Niro and Pesci are just an unbelievable duo and probably two of my top 3 favorite actors of all time (Al Pacino?). I think I'd give this one slightly higher than Cape Fear 8.3/10 very good film, intense and drama filled all the way was very entertained.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #5858
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player

It's one of the worst films that I have ever seen, but plenty of eye candies are in this movie.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #5859
PowerGlove
By Any Means

i already knew that movie was garbage when i read "mtv presents" on top left of the poster.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #5860
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life

Very very good film. Really surprised it 'only' got a 7.3/10 on IMDB it's more like 8.0+ for sure to me. Very entertaining and intense all the way through, De Niro beasts as usual.

the low 7 is probably b/c the movie is a remake and many who rated it were grading it against the original classic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Fear_%281962_film%29
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #5861
vapid
Paranoid Android

Blue valentine was great. Top 5 movie of 2010 for me.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #5862
baseketball4life
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
the low 7 is probably b/c the movie is a remake and many who rated it were grading it against the original classic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Fear_%281962_film%29
ah, thanks for the info
Old 02-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #5863
1987_Lakers
5-time NBA All-Star

7.5/10
1987_Lakers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #5864
Disaprine
College star

4/5 stars

Disaprine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:23 AM   #5865
PowerGlove
By Any Means

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonresno

Foreign film. 8 people have applied for this very powerful job and are all sat down in a single room to take a quiz. They are given 80 minutes to answer 1 question....only the paper is blank. There are other factors going on that really rev up the tension but I don't want to give them away.

Such a great film. So intense.

3.5/5

SMH @ the ending.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: