Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #6781
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

6.5/10
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:28 AM   #6782
Maniak
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Liar Liar

Countless times did I walk past this movie at a store and not watch it, but Im glad I did. One of my favorite Carrey movies I've ever seen. I'd recommend it to most anybody. 90%
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:49 AM   #6783
Myth

Just watched Thor. Potential spoilers ahead. It was better than Iron Man 2 due to having a better story, but not as good as Iron Man (I compare it to those because it has a similar feel). Thor, the character, was very good. He was bad ass when he needed to be, and he was humorous when he needed to be. The bad guy was ok. He didn't get me excited, but he didn't ruin anything either. Natalia Portman was ok for a bit, but her character really wore on me. She wines a lot throughout the movie about her scientific equipment, and one specific scene when the focus seems it should be on Thor being a bad ass, we get a close up of Natalie taking forever to say "Oh... my.... god" in a very annoying and ditsy way. Natalie's intern was even worse. She was apparently supposed to be a comic relief or something, but she just made Facebook and iPod references the whole time and I wanted her to die. Thor's sidekicks also sucked. They had a battle at the beginning (which I didn't like because it was too Lord of the Rings like, which is just not my type of movie), but after that, Thor's sidekicks were worthless. They felt more like comic relief themselves rather than bad asses. Heck, they came to Earth to help Thor, but they were completely worthless during the mini battle that took place on Earth. In fact, the only reason that Earth was attached was because they went there looking for Thor, so the only way they helped was by accidentally making Earth attacked so Thor could redeem himself. Finally, the bad guy froze the one guard (who was a character I liked by the way) that seemed to be able to help Thor and his friends, but did not kill the guard which allowed him to get out of the ice and save them. This was stupid for a couple of reasons. First, the bad guy is being all secretive so keeping this guy alive would have eventually blown his cover anyway, so why didn't he kill him and make up some story about his death? Second, the timing of the guard getting out of the ice was ridiculously perfect. Thor: 'Oh my, we are stuck on Earth, how are we going to get out of this bind?' Guard: 'Don't worry, I completely frozen, but I'll break out of it now at the most convenient time because I'm motivated, while earlier I didn't care if I was stuck in ice.' Seriously, the character growth/story of Thor plus a couple of the action scenes on Earth were the only real redeeming qualities of this movie.

6/10 (which is a disappointment from how much I thought I'd like it)
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #6784
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
the last kiss is the best thing zack braff has done and>garden state by quite a margin imo.

The best thing about Garden State was its soundtrack imo. I still watch it every time it's on TV, for some ****ing reason.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #6785
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Just watched Thor. Potential spoilers ahead. It was better than Iron Man 2 due to having a better story, but not as good as Iron Man (I compare it to those because it has a similar feel). Thor, the character, was very good. He was bad ass when he needed to be, and he was humorous when he needed to be. The bad guy was ok. He didn't get me excited, but he didn't ruin anything either. Natalia Portman was ok for a bit, but her character really wore on me. She wines a lot throughout the movie about her scientific equipment, and one specific scene when the focus seems it should be on Thor being a bad ass, we get a close up of Natalie taking forever to say "Oh... my.... god" in a very annoying and ditsy way. Natalie's intern was even worse. She was apparently supposed to be a comic relief or something, but she just made Facebook and iPod references the whole time and I wanted her to die. Thor's sidekicks also sucked. They had a battle at the beginning (which I didn't like because it was too Lord of the Rings like, which is just not my type of movie), but after that, Thor's sidekicks were worthless. They felt more like comic relief themselves rather than bad asses. Heck, they came to Earth to help Thor, but they were completely worthless during the mini battle that took place on Earth. In fact, the only reason that Earth was attached was because they went there looking for Thor, so the only way they helped was by accidentally making Earth attacked so Thor could redeem himself. Finally, the bad guy froze the one guard (who was a character I liked by the way) that seemed to be able to help Thor and his friends, but did not kill the guard which allowed him to get out of the ice and save them. This was stupid for a couple of reasons. First, the bad guy is being all secretive so keeping this guy alive would have eventually blown his cover anyway, so why didn't he kill him and make up some story about his death? Second, the timing of the guard getting out of the ice was ridiculously perfect. Thor: 'Oh my, we are stuck on Earth, how are we going to get out of this bind?' Guard: 'Don't worry, I completely frozen, but I'll break out of it now at the most convenient time because I'm motivated, while earlier I didn't care if I was stuck in ice.' Seriously, the character growth/story of Thor plus a couple of the action scenes on Earth were the only real redeeming qualities of this movie.

6/10 (which is a disappointment from how much I thought I'd like it)

Exactly what I thought. They just messed up a lot with bad story telling and plot conveniences like this. There were some great moments, and funny scenes, but they were scattered around. There needed to be more scenes with Thor on earth too. He and Natalie Portman needed to talk more so I could believe that they really were serious about each other.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #6786
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

they can make up for it by having an epic thor vs hulk fight on the avengers
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #6787
tian820
College star

Watched 13 Assassins last night (DL version with weird computer interruption in the middle) and Thor tonight.

I was pretty disappointed with 13 Assassins actually because I thought the beginning was a bit long and drawn out. I feel like I would have been able to enjoy it more if I understood the Japanese speech, but not much can be done about that.

Thor was about what I expected. I was actually pretty impressed with the CGI. The Asgard scenes were awesome IMO while the rest of the movie was average to above average for what we can expect out of a superhero flick. Fun watch at worst
tian820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #6788
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tian820
Watched 13 Assassins last night (DL version with weird computer interruption in the middle) and Thor tonight.

I was pretty disappointed with 13 Assassins actually because I thought the beginning was a bit long and drawn out. I feel like I would have been able to enjoy it more if I understood the Japanese speech, but not much can be done about that.

Thor was about what I expected. I was actually pretty impressed with the CGI. The Asgard scenes were awesome IMO while the rest of the movie was average to above average for what we can expect out of a superhero flick. Fun watch at worst

It's the same version of 13 assassins I watched then. I don't know, I'm a sucker for samurai films and anime, so I may have been partial on this one. It was a tad long, but I didn't find it boring or drawn out at any point.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #6789
Rake2204
NBA Superstar

I just watched There Will Be Blood again. I own it, but I don't make a habit of watching it a lot because I tend to remember it being very long. I recommend multiple views for this film. A lot of us likely saw all the undertones the first time through. But I also think there's a lot of us that recognized the film's greatness the first time around and will notice even more the second time around. It might actually become more interesting the more one views it. It's really fun to deconstruct.

As usual, I'd have to at least give this film a 9. Very fascinating.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #6790
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Just got back from watching THOR.

5.5/10 I didn''t like the beginning. it was too heavyhanded and very predictable. The ending employed too many deus ex machinas for my taste
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #6791
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

the fighter

a great example of a perfectly average movie
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:29 AM   #6792
Stinky Dog
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I just watched There Will Be Blood again. I own it, but I don't make a habit of watching it a lot because I tend to remember it being very long. I recommend multiple views for this film. A lot of us likely saw all the undertones the first time through. But I also think there's a lot of us that recognized the film's greatness the first time around and will notice even more the second time around. It might actually become more interesting the more one views it. It's really fun to deconstruct.

It kind of had an opposite effect on me. The first time I watched it I was convinced it was a masterpiece. Don't get me wrong DDL delivered a masterful performance but the film itself was flawed which I mostly attribute to PT Anderson. It's obviously very good but the more times I watched there were aspects that started to stick out a bit.

I also can't help but compare it to NCFOM mostly because they're both shot in Texas and came out the same year. That film is pure greatness and gets better and better after every view.
Stinky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:41 AM   #6793
ZeN
Stormblessed

TWBB isn't great, at repeat viewings but its one of the best, at first impressions..

Watching it in theater was one of the best cinematic experiences for me.. resonated in so many levels.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:25 AM   #6794
Myth

I enjoyed TWBB on multiple views much more than NCFOM. Btw, I watched Rogue the other night. Easily the best crocodile/alligator movie I've ever seen (not that there are a lot). It reminded me of Tremors, but more serious and the creature is under water rather than under the earth, and they get stuck on an island in a river instead of rock in the desert. 7/10
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #6795
BRabbiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I just watched There Will Be Blood again. ..

it's a classic (imo).

BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: