Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #7366
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
this is pretty ignorant imo, a 6 is not the same as a 7. and for the purposes of those who use a %(i dont cause i disagree with anything over a 10 scale) a 91 is better than a 90. how hard is that to understand?
for me probably the biggest numerical barriers are the difference between a 6,7,8. 6 is average(as would be a 3 star film) 7 is better than average and an 8 is good. a film doesnt have to be perfect to achieve a 10 as it would have to be to achieve a 100% if i worked on that scale, i think theoretically i use a 5 point scale but always list them on a 10 scale. 5 actually being the format that most critics use, it is the one i most agree with(but not for this reason). although i would have difficulty using a 5 rating because it isnt personal enough, like for me the social network and the kings speech were two of the best films of last year, i couldnt not give them a 5/5 rating because they were exceptionally well made films. but there isnt room enough to dissect further. once i move up to a 10 scale i can award the 9/10 because imo neither was thoughtful or ambitious enough to warrant the full 10 from me.

Firstly, I get the purpose of a rating like 98% or 9.8 when it comes to calculating the collective ratings of many, but it's when an individual uses the same type of rating scale that doesn't add up to me.

If i'm rating a film using the 10 point scale, it feels like a safe way of giving an opinion rather than just being honest with myself about how bad or good the film is. So a film is really good and you want to rate 10/10, but you don't quite feel comfortable saying the movie is that great, so you rate it 9 or 9.5 out of 10. No one is going to look at the rating and go "whoa, only a 9? I think i'm going to pass on this one." No, a 9 signals that the movie is as entertaining as one that could be a 10. A 7 says a movie is decent to good, and a 5 pretty much says its not worth your time, so if the second half of the scale already tells you everything you need to know about how the person feels about the movie, what's the purpose of 0-4?
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #7367
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
Firstly, I get the purpose of a rating like 98% or 9.8 when it comes to calculating the collective ratings of many, but it's when an individual uses the same type of rating scale that doesn't add up to me.

If i'm rating a film using the 10 point scale, it feels like a safe way of giving an opinion rather than just being honest with myself about how bad or good the film is. So a film is really good and you want to rate 10/10, but you don't quite feel comfortable saying the movie is that great, so you rate it 9 or 9.5 out of 10. No one is going to look at the rating and go "whoa, only a 9? I think i'm going to pass on this one." No, a 9 signals that the movie is as entertaining as one that could be a 10. A 7 says a movie is decent to good, and a 5 pretty much says its not worth your time, so if the second half of the scale already tells you everything you need to know about how the person feels about the movie, what's the purpose of 0-4?

yep thats a fair point but i think 0-4 suggests a terrible to quite bad film- a 4 might be bad film but some redeeming features, like to me(i know others like it) the fall is an abomination because so much of it doesnt work on so many levels but the effort alone i have to award something, the set design and art direction is beautiful so i have to go 5. the spirit is plain and simple possibly the most inept film ever made as is epic movie so those are 0/10.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #7368
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
ha, i completely forgot about that

we had some long bouts back in the day lol

true say
Old 05-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #7369
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

btw i never forgot what you said about bright star, downloading that now

forgot about it for a while, had it on a list of movies to see but im a fancy man so i wont watch anything other than blu rays unless im absolutely forced to, finally found a version with some seeders, still gonna take like 36 hours to download though
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:11 PM   #7370
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Quote:
yep thats a fair point but i think 0-4 suggests a terrible to quite bad film- a 4 might be bad film but some redeeming features, like to me(i know others like it) the fall is an abomination because so much of it doesnt work on so many levels but the effort alone i have to award something, the set design and art direction is beautiful so i have to go 5. the spirit is plain and simple possibly the most inept film ever made as is epic movie so those are 0/10.

it goes to the purpose of the rating system. If you want some meta critical process of evaluating films then the more digits the better. But if you just want a simple system of recommending or not recommeding movies 0-4 is probably sufficient. Many people aren't actually interested in ranking films or making best of lists or wonder how this movie stack up to some Bergman or fellini's work. they just want to know if the movie is worth seeing and 0-4 is good at conveying that.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #7371
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
it goes to the purpose of the rating system. If you want some meta critical process of evaluating films then the more digits the better. But if you just want a simple system of recommending or not recommeding movies 0-4 is probably sufficient. Many people aren't actually interested in ranking films or making best of lists or wonder how this movie stack up to some Bergman or fellini's work. they just want to know if the movie is worth seeing and 0-4 is good at conveying that.

no no, this was in response to lone shot asking what the point of the 0-4 is on the scale out of 10. look at the post i quoted. i was referencing an out of 4 scale in my post. just the point of the 0-4 part of a 10 scale. i actually dont mind what people use as their scale- as i have said already.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #7372
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
btw i never forgot what you said about bright star, downloading that now

forgot about it for a while, had it on a list of movies to see but im a fancy man so i wont watch anything other than blu rays unless im absolutely forced to, finally found a version with some seeders, still gonna take like 36 hours to download though

i loved bright star but i wouldnt say its a masterpiece. the cinematography and art direction are absolutely beautiful and overall it is a very good period piece, the music is also fantastic and it marks the arrival of possibly the most exciting young actress out there imo- abbie cornish, the acting in general is very good(wishaw also). so yeah id highly recommend it just because its beautifully crafted.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #7373
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

goddamn i cant find the criterion release of Che ANYWHERE
Old 05-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #7374
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

how did you feel about che? i wanted to love it, i really liked part 1 but 2 just felt a little subdued.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #7375
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

i actually haven't seen it, was never planning on watching it until thorpe said some really great stuff about it

criterion's releases are absolutely top notch, i definitely plan on buying the bd eventually, id like to watch it NOW NOW NOW NOW though

im giving up italics and will just scream my points from now on
Old 05-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #7376
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
how did you feel about che? i wanted to love it, i really liked part 1 but 2 just felt a little subdued.

I agree. I really liked part 1 but part 2 was a bit flat. I attribute part of this because of the subject matter of part 2 compared to the Cuban Revolution (triumph vs Che's idealistic downfall) but it still had the opportunity to do much better. I thought the ending was great though.

I just saw White Ribbon is available for streaming on Netflix. I'll have to watch it sometime this weekend.
Jailblazers7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:45 AM   #7377
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I agree. I really liked part 1 but part 2 was a bit flat. I attribute part of this because of the subject matter of part 2 compared to the Cuban Revolution (triumph vs Che's idealistic downfall) but it still had the opportunity to do much better. I thought the ending was great though.

I just saw White Ribbon is available for streaming on Netflix. I'll have to watch it sometime this weekend.

enjoy it, its a masterpiece and im not the only one on here who thinks so, lebowsky and at least 2 others i think felt the same way. haneke is always tricky and incredibly complex but there is a mastery and control of form in the white ribbon that im not sure has been surpassed. it is auteur film making of the highest order imo.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #7378
heyhey
stay mad golden state

just watched The Squid and The Whale

9/10

the type of family/adolescent films I really enjoy. Maybe expound further when I wake up in the morning
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #7379
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
enjoy it, its a masterpiece and im not the only one on here who thinks so, lebowsky and at least 2 others i think felt the same way. haneke is always tricky and incredibly complex but there is a mastery and control of form in the white ribbon that im not sure has been surpassed. it is auteur film making of the highest order imo.
I totally agree, plus it's not strictly one of those arthouse, style over substance films. It starts a bit slow, but it picks up the pace and really immerses you in it. The atmosphere is dense and opressive, and the story is quite dark and unsettling. Almost every scene is like looking at a carefully composed photography or even a picture, and watching the film itself feels like reading a realist novel. It's truly a masterpiece. My mum hated the ending though
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #7380
ZeN
Stormblessed

Badlands - 10/10

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: