Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #7471
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,819
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I understand that people get good at spotting what is good and what is bad in advance, but if they are so good at predicting what would be good, then then that doesn't really explain 1s and 2s. More often than not, I will go into a movie that I expect to be good and if it disappoints, it doesn't suddenly become one of the worst movies ever, it usually turns out to be mediocre. It just doesn't make sense to see a trailer, expect it to be worthy of a 10, and have the movie be so different from the trailer/director/actors/etc that it is a 1. I'll use the movie the Social Network as a personal example. I love the director, the reviews were great, and it was getting compared to Godfather and Citizen Cane. So I went into it expecting to rate it very high. I found it disappointing so I gave it a score in the 5-6 territory, but it would have been a huge overreaction to give it a 1 just because I was disappointed.

You also mentioned turning off movies and giving them low scores. I can understand that, but surely there are some movies that keep you engaged for most of the film and the ending is a big disappointment. Does a movie that entertains you for an hour and a half but has a disappointing warrant a score that is comparable to the worst movies ever (1 or 2) or a score that is comparable to the best movies ever (9 or 10). I certainly don't think so. It seems to me that such a movie should land a score somewhere in between. Yet, some people never seem to have scores in between. It is only a huge overreaction saying the movie is great, or a huge overreaction saying it is complete crap.

I think you described perfectly how most movie goers think, but I don't think I've ever seen a legit ISH movie buff do that. It's usually someone who never posts in here, or posts very rarely in here that does something like that.

Thorpe said earlier that he thinks most of the buffs who watch a bad movie don't even bother to finish it, let alone take the time to review it. Sometimes you feel compelled if you think it was an all time awful movie [take my review for Eagle Eye for example], but I know for a fact that many of the regular movie watching guys from this thread usually never think about it again.

The recent discussion of Salt is a prime example. I believe me and RBA both said we had seen a bit of it and thought it was terrible so we turned it off, never reviewed it, but it was brought up so we offered an opinion.

Catch my drift? Only certain people do what you described and it sure as shit ain't any of the ISH movie buffs.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #7472
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,819
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Jesus, the 9th episode of Band of Brothers is almost impossible to get through without tearing up.

I think this is my 3rd or 4th full watch-through and same deal every time. Once they get to the concentration camp, I just fall apart.

And then you It's hard not to feel vindicated after you see the Nazi's wife knee deep in dead Jews, struggling to move a body.

Band of Brothers is without a doubt a 10/10, 100%, how else can I equate it?

It's probably the greatest depiction of war, but It's unfair comparing it to movies since this is a 10 part mini-series.

Goddamn BOB is perfect in every way.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #7473
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness
 
Jailblazers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 23,414
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Wow, you guys put a lot more thought into the grading system than I do lol.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #7474
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 24,008
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
I think you described perfectly how most movie goers think, but I don't think I've ever seen a legit ISH movie buff do that. It's usually someone who never posts in here, or posts very rarely in here that does something like that.

Thorpe said earlier that he thinks most of the buffs who watch a bad movie don't even bother to finish it, let alone take the time to review it. Sometimes you feel compelled if you think it was an all time awful movie [take my review for Eagle Eye for example], but I know for a fact that many of the regular movie watching guys from this thread usually never think about it again.

The recent discussion of Salt is a prime example. I believe me and RBA both said we had seen a bit of it and thought it was terrible so we turned it off, never reviewed it, but it was brought up so we offered an opinion.

Catch my drift? Only certain people do what you described and it sure as shit ain't any of the ISH movie buffs.

I understand that most people on ISH do it the way you are describing. My point was simply the few that do it the way I was describing have a ridiculous system.

Also, on a different but similar note, I actually like it when the movie buffs give their scores for mediocre movies. I understand not wasting time giving details of why, but I find it helpful when I'm trying to figure what to watch and not watch. A recent example would be Thor. It had high ratings for weeks leading up to its release, but it turned out to be mediocre IMO. Had I saw posters in here consistently listing it at about 6/10, then maybe I would have asked what held it back and I may have saved my $10 and waited for DVD. I personally rank a majority of the movies I watch on here (I go in phases where I forget about the thread and don't post), but only give reasons why I ranked it as such if there was a compelling reason to do so (such as disappointment, exceeding expectations, being amazing, being utter crap, or if somebody asks what my justification was). The mediocre movies I just score in about a second and move on, unless somebody asks. I guess ultimately, I come to this thread hoping get movie ideas or learn what movies to avoid, and I think rating all movies seen (good, bad, and mediocre) helps that process.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #7475
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 24,008
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Btw, I remember the Salt discussion too. Draz has horrible tastes in movies (Salt, that one where Triple H goes on a field trip, and many straight to DVD American Pie rip offs all ranked 9 and above)
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #7476
ZeN
Stormblessed
 
ZeN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Roshar
Posts: 25,503
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Btw, I remember the Salt discussion too. Draz has horrible tastes in movies (Salt, that one where Triple H goes on a field trip, and many straight to DVD American Pie rip offs all ranked 9 and above)
Draz and Stuckey..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #7477
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,819
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I understand that most people on ISH do it the way you are describing. My point was simply the few that do it the way I was describing have a ridiculous system.

Also, on a different but similar note, I actually like it when the movie buffs give their scores for mediocre movies. I understand not wasting time giving details of why, but I find it helpful when I'm trying to figure what to watch and not watch. A recent example would be Thor. It had high ratings for weeks leading up to its release, but it turned out to be mediocre IMO. Had I saw posters in here consistently listing it at about 6/10, then maybe I would have asked what held it back and I may have saved my $10 and waited for DVD. I personally rank a majority of the movies I watch on here (I go in phases where I forget about the thread and don't post), but only give reasons why I ranked it as such if there was a compelling reason to do so (such as disappointment, exceeding expectations, being amazing, being utter crap, or if somebody asks what my justification was). The mediocre movies I just score in about a second and move on, unless somebody asks. I guess ultimately, I come to this thread hoping get movie ideas or learn what movies to avoid, and I think rating all movies seen (good, bad, and mediocre) helps that process.

Good point, but I think It's gonna stay the way it is. When you see a bad movie, you really don't want to even think about it.

My review for Salt would've been:

Salt: 11%

sucked, stabbed ******** with no. 2 pencil for relief

wth b a l l s a c k is not allowed?
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #7478
Al Thornton
no sana no life
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: free wop
Posts: 22,118
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

the rating scale is just so pointless. the point of the rating is to summarize how much you like the movie, and if you're writing multiple paragraphs you probably shouldn't even put a number on it.
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #7479
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In the year 2525
Posts: 30,432
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Wow, you guys put a lot more thought into the grading system than I do lol.

This is serious business.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #7480
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,819
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Thornton
the rating scale is just so pointless. the point of the rating is to summarize how much you like the movie, and if you're writing multiple paragraphs you probably shouldn't even put a number on it.

23%
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #7481
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,819
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

btw this is probably the 4th or 5th long discussion of rating scales in this thread
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #7482
Stuckey
ifirtworld
 
Stuckey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: igloo
Posts: 7,633
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

i agree with that guy who analyzed the rating system

5 is average, 6 is enjoyable/decent time-waster, 7.5 is good and so forth

should be the same way you rate women, and there's no such thing as a 10, it's not possible, not even the godfather is a 10

Last edited by Stuckey : 05-12-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #7483
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick
 
ukplayer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,937
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Director too concerned with mental masturbation: 1


black swan was probably the only american film of last year where you truly felt the masters hand. whatever criticism you throw at it it cannot be denied that it was a directors vision and uncompromising on a level rarely seen in nation wide releases.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey
+1, overrated movie of the year, no entertainment value


you suck
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:58 PM   #7484
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $
 
ShannonElements's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portugal, South America
Posts: 15,331
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Wow, you guys put a lot more thought into the grading system than I do lol.

Sorry.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #7485
Disaprine
College star
 
Disaprine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,835
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.



3.5/5 stars

an alright movie if its your first time seeing it.
Disaprine is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:33 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy