Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #7486
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

btw this is probably the 4th or 5th long discussion of rating scales in this thread
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:25 AM   #7487
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

i agree with that guy who analyzed the rating system

5 is average, 6 is enjoyable/decent time-waster, 7.5 is good and so forth

should be the same way you rate women, and there's no such thing as a 10, it's not possible, not even the godfather is a 10

Last edited by Stuckey : 05-13-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #7488
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Director too concerned with mental masturbation: 1

black swan was probably the only american film of last year where you truly felt the masters hand. whatever criticism you throw at it it cannot be denied that it was a directors vision and uncompromising on a level rarely seen in nation wide releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey
+1, overrated movie of the year, no entertainment value

you suck
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:58 AM   #7489
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Wow, you guys put a lot more thought into the grading system than I do lol.

Sorry.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:02 AM   #7490
Disaprine
I'm with whateva

Disaprine is a pretty well-respected posterDisaprine is a pretty well-respected posterDisaprine is a pretty well-respected poster

3.5/5 stars

an alright movie if its your first time seeing it.
Disaprine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:11 AM   #7491
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i guess i gave maybe 2 10's last year, not sure, defiantly gave one for the white ribbon the year before.

contrary to everyone else in here i actually never, ever,ever stop watching films no matter how bad they, also i will fairly frequently see some films i know are bad, i like to keep up with the mainstream releases so i have no choice but to see alot of very bad films. i actually enjoy watching technique and how i feel things should have worked differently, better shot choices. even a piece of garbage like law abiding citezen i could see exactly where it was going wrong all the time and that amused me, i could see where they were going wrong, whilst a better film the issues with 500 days of summer were so glaring also, a mainstream film with pseudo cynicism on love, carefully packaged to make the masses feel like theyve just watched something a bit quirky, yet oh so satisfying.

i think the films that annoy me the most are films that you can see are the reasons why they have deliberately made bad choices, be it plot devices or whatever, transformers 2 is a good example, actually i felt that way about the boat that rocked, i absolutely detest richard curtis and i could feel him ticking the boxes of mass appeal factor with every scene. that annoys me alot. a film that is certainly in my choices for worst ever is the spirit. now that was just indescribable, only the most inept of directors, someone who doesnt even deserve to breath let alone direct could have made something so flat, it was literally the flattest film ever. even the room and the hotty and the nottie arent as flat as the spirit. frank miller you are garbage as a film maker get a ****ing grip.

i also quite like writing reviews about bad films, i like to vent that, especially if its hollywood fodder.
also, i would much rather see a film that has a ton of issues and doesnt even make sense if it has ideas and originality and some balls. the reason is because our mainstream cinema has become deviod of that, completely and utterely devoid. so to see a film maker battle a studio into letting them make something that doesnt fit the hollywood factory assembly line template in every conceivable way truly has to be embraced and encouraged. for example watchmen had highs and lows, great highs and some shoddy elements but some things worked very well and i admire the ambition alot more than something that has non. so imo watchmen is a far greater film then say ironman(a good comic book film in its own right), even tho i would imagine the consensus is that they are on the same ground. in many ways i would rather see something like antichrist(which actually says something completely demented and is full of incoherent ideas and meditations on sexuality, religion,nature and strange philosophies than a film like the social network(and exceptional film) because finchers peace was merely a terrifically executed, perfectly paced and fantastically made film but it showed me nothing, it didnt change my perspective on anything or have an original thought.
at the end of the day film making is philosophy. film is a subjective view of reality. which is why the great film makers are so aligned with philosophers.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #7492
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
contrary to everyone else in here i actually never, ever,ever stop watching films no matter how bad they, also i will fairly frequently see some films i know are bad, i like to keep up with the mainstream releases so i have no choice but to see alot of very bad films.

If I start a movie, I finish one... Just figured I'd say that.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:18 AM   #7493
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
If I start a movie, I finish one... Just figured I'd say that.
Same Here.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:59 AM   #7494
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Stuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputationStuckey has a terrific reputation

just watched The Crazies in under 20 minutes ffwded the boring/predictable parts

5.5/10 - another zombie flick, yawnzors doesnt even take place in a big city, but at least the zombies were braindead human meat fiends

skip it unless u love zombie movies
Old 05-13-2011, 02:00 AM   #7495
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Hotlantadude81 has decent reputation

I haven't given a movie a 10 since 2007... But I still have a lot to see from 2009 and 2010.
Hotlantadude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:01 AM   #7496
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
just watched The Crazies in under 20 minutes ffwded the boring/predictable parts

5.5/10 - another zombie flick, yawnzors doesnt even take place in a big city, but at least the zombies were braindead human meat fiends

skip it unless u love zombie movies

I remember it being decent... But I was about half drunk when I watched it.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:07 AM   #7497
Stuckey
ifirtworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlantadude81
I remember it being decent... But I was about half drunk when I watched it.

after 28 days later, every zombie movie is a 5/10 at best imo
Old 05-13-2011, 02:13 AM   #7498
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
I think a lot of veteran movie watchers [i have no word to use for that lol] tend to avoid bad movies. I know I do. Sometimes you can shut your brain off and watch some mindless action or whatever, and that could be considered average, but most of the time movie buffs are watching good movies.

You learn what to look for. The director/writer/actors attached to the project, word of mouth, reviews, etc.

And usually when a movie is really bad, movie people just shut it off or leave the theater. I can't tell you how many movies I've downloaded and tried to watch in the past few months and turned it off like 20-30 minutes in. Easily 50-60 movies. They just stink and there's no reason for me to watch it.

There are a couple of movies that don't look great, but look like good fun. Stuff like Faster and Drive Angry. Cage is almost always worth watching though. Sometimes he is good, and sometimes he is so bad that he is good. One of the oddest actors of all time I'll say.

What helps sell fun movies is fun charismatic actors. Something that a series like Fast and the Furious mostly lacks. The only movie I've seen with Paul Walker in it that I can stomach is Joy Ride.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:20 AM   #7499
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
after 28 days later, every zombie movie is a 5/10 at best imo

28 Days Later isn't that good. Shaun of the Dead is better.

Danny Boyle has a real problem with the 3rd act of some of his movies. Sunshine had a poor 3rd act also.

Truthfully, there really isn't all that much to it. The middle part of the movie is fairly boring and for a zombie flick it sure lacks in the action department. Cillian Murphy (Scarecrow from Batman Begins) goes from totally inept to John Rambo rather quickly. The black female also goes from butch and roughneck to feminine Damsel in distress. The ending was also a bit more "happy" than I liked.

It's not a bad movie, but I don't think it's worth the hype it gets. I actually enjoyed the sequel more even though it had holes all over the place. But neither are great movies IMO.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:28 AM   #7500
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlantadude81
28 Days Later isn't that good. Shaun of the Dead is better.

Danny Boyle has a real problem with the 3rd act of some of his movies. Sunshine had a poor 3rd act also.

Truthfully, there really isn't all that much to it. The middle part of the movie is fairly boring and for a zombie flick it sure lacks in the action department. Cillian Murphy (Scarecrow from Batman Begins) goes from totally inept to John Rambo rather quickly. The black female also goes from butch and roughneck to feminine Damsel in distress. The ending was also a bit more "happy" than I liked.

It's not a bad movie, but I don't think it's worth the hype it gets. I actually enjoyed the sequel more even though it had holes all over the place. But neither are great movies IMO.

you got a point about the 3rd act in sunshine, but i didn't really notice a huge difference between the acts/separate pieces in 28 days later. i didn't get the rambo impression from his character; i really got the idea of a dude who fully woke up from his coma or and got in touch with his inner 'rage' to keep himself and his friends alive.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: