Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-21-2011, 04:16 AM   #7546
28renyoy
Banned

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Fantastic Mr. Fox, a solid 9/10. One of the funnier movies I've seen in the past decade and I'm not a fan of stop motion although Wes Anderson is one of the best director/screenwriters in Hollywood.
28renyoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:41 AM   #7547
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

Midnigh in Paris -7/10

I went and saw this because my grandma told me she really liked it. It got a 92% on rotten tomatoes, so I had to see this.

I thought it they did a good job putting it together. It started off too slow for me, but I did get into it toward the middle. I'm just not well read enough to understand who all the authors and artists that pop up. I think someone that is more educated on who all these historic people are would enjoy it.

I was more into what was going on in Owen Wilsons's reality in the movie. Rather than what happened when he went into the ghost reality or whatever that was.

It was a good concept for a movie that I think everyone can appreciate.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #7548
AboveTheRim.
Great young streetballer

Cube 6.5/10
I'm a fan of the horror/suspense genre, and cube had me entertained throughout. The acting was pretty bad at times, as well as the dialogue, but it's still worth watching.
AboveTheRim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #7549
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
lol actually I might agree that SPOILER

the film's reconcillation of Moore's relationship with Ruffalo as just being lonely was too cookie cutter and conservative. But beneath that queer setup is a very well acted family drama. I liked it a lot but I can see y others wouldn't.

cuz u a bitter old man jokes
Yeah the acting was pretty solid, just not my type of film.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #7550
Bladers
You hear that?

Super 8... (7.5/10)

The first half of the movie was brilliant...right to the where they were filming and the train was derailed.

The second half was sub-par.

I didn't like the ending or the turn the story took at the last 30 mins when the girl was kidnapped. Too many loopholes in the story and we hardly knew anything about the antagonist.

All in all, it was nice and good. Superb acting job by the way!

Last edited by Bladers : 06-21-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Bladers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #7551
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

the first of a few i watched over the past week

well. damn. this was all over the map. apparently it's doing quite well critically, which is surprising. it seems like the sort of movie that should split its audience, like The Fountain. i find it odd that it hasn't.

breaking down this movie isn't as easy as it is for most, but i think there's a pretty clear line to be drawn between two very distinct styles of filmmaking that didn't coalesce quite the way i expect the auteur would have liked. on the one hand, you've got an amazing story of a simple family with a few very well sketched relationships between a typical stern father and his kids. and on the other hand, you've got beautiful clips of natural settings (of course they're breathtaking, it's a big budget movie) laced with abstract monologues.

usually when a director throws two styles like that at you, there's going to be a connection, whether obvious or subtle. in this case, it was just waaaaaay too subtle. i definitely believe that Malick had a vision and a deep set of ideas he wanted to convey, but in the end, he just didn't do a very good job spelling it out for the audience. art can and often should be left up for varying degrees of interpretation, but particularly in a medium like film, there has to be a little hand holding. otherwise you just get a collective 'wtf?' at the end. and that's exactly what happened. stock footage of waves crashing against a beach and stars exploding in space can be meaningful to you, but when it's intersliced into a narrative at seemingly arbitrary intervals with no apparent ties, it can bore an audience. and while i wouldn't say i was bored exactly, i certainly wasn't drawn in. i was just waiting for the movie to return to something coherent. the voice over monologue weren't much better. very loose fitting themes, nothing to really suggest a real point... just flowery 'faith' poetry. nice for a while but after 15 minutes? you just want it to f*ck off. lol

the detailed 'history of the universe' expose was pretty well done, if a little heavy handed. i loved the evolutionary scenes, particularly of the wild animals (swimmers, dinosaurs, etc) sort of sniffing around, cautiously investigating. amazing on the big screen.

had it been a little more focused, it would've sat as one of the best of the year so far for me (of what i've seen, which i suppose hasn't been that much). in the end, the coherent sections were enough to overcome the *********ory indulgence of the rest. the narrative was terrific. the shaky doc style of filmmaking, ala Wrestler, was effective. Pitt was really good, the lead kid was phenomenal as were the other two, and the mom... didn't really have much to do, but she was serviceable for the minor role. her religiosity probably wasn't brought out enough except for in the monologues, which as i said, weren't very clear. watching the growth of the children was truly magnificent though. a simple scene of them running around and playing turned into a masterpiece, once set against the grandiose context of the rest of the film. the score was also incredible and perfectly consistent with the film's feel. i loved the duet between Pitt and his kid.

so all in all, this movie split me. there was so much that it did right, and so many facets that just weren't up to par. in Ebert speak i'd give it a single thumb up, meaning i recommend you see it. but don't build any expectations based on the trailer. you'll probably be let down.

7/10

edit: i completely forgot about Sean Penn's character. i have no real words for what the hell that was supposed to be. refer above for my thoughts. let's just say it, uhh, wasn't very clear.

Last edited by RidonKs : 06-21-2011 at 10:38 AM.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #7552
leopoldstotch
Book 'em Dan'l

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
How to Die in Oregon: 8/10. Great HBO Doc that was recommended to me by someone on here (forgot who, but thanks!) about the practice of euthanasia in Oregon and getting it passed in Washington. The only thing I wish they would've done is show more of the opponents side of the story instead of little interviews at rallies and perhaps more of the health care side of things like the story of the man who went public when his provider wouldn't pay for cancer treatment, but would pay to have him put to death legally.

i do recommend this documentary. it's very in your face, and makes you think about what you want to do with your life if you are at the last lap of your life.
leopoldstotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #7553
Stuckey
ifirtworld

paul - 6/10

no strings attached - 5.5/10

hall pass - 5.5/10
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #7554
ZeN
Stormblessed

Tron - 6/10

Thor - 7/10

Fast and Furious - 6/10
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #7555
alenleomessi
W

Big Fish-9.5/10
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #7556
dwight20-20
future footer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
Big Fish-9.5/10

love it.
dwight20-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #7557
dwight20-20
future footer

Inception: confusing/10

really good though.
dwight20-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #7558
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwight20-20
Inception: confusing/10

really good though.
I am a huge Chris Nolan fan ... love his work.

But I actually wasn't "gaga" over this movie.

Sometimes his films are like overly intelligent for like no reason.
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #7559
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh

Sometimes his films are like overly intelligent for like no reason.

You need a reason?
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #7560
sunsfan1357
Word.

Malcolm X- 9/10. Pretty long, but the fact that it was three hours was hardly noticeable. Does a good job of mirroring his experiences as a child and young man to what he went through as a prominent member of the Nation of Islam. His transformation and subsequent falling out with the Nation was very well portrayed and Denzel did an outstanding job as Malcolm.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: