Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-08-2011, 02:33 AM   #7546
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckey
i couldnt even get through half of it

rocknrolla was fun though

rewatched Rushmore recently, love it 9/10

Lock Stock

Snatch

Rocknrolla

Sherlock Holmes

Revolver
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:52 AM   #7547
Raj Da Dodge
Welcome to the New Age

Jus saw How To Train Your Dragon and DreamWorks never disappoints me!!! Especially DreamWorks Animation. This was honestly the best DreamWork animation out of all of them! Really good story line, amazing acting, looked great on blu ray lol. Just an amazing movie to me. Oh and much better than overrated (to me) Despicable Me.

How To Train Your Dragon - 10/10
Raj Da Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #7548
tian820
College star

Interestingly enough I watched True Grit for the first time a couple nights ago as well. I didn't think it was great by any means, but it kept me awake, which I wasn't expecting to happen. I probably won't ever watch it again, and don't really think it's even worth checking out, but I don't regret watching it. Yeah, a bit of a strange critique and doesn't really make a lot of sense, whatever
tian820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #7549
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

The Animal

3/10

It was funny in some parts, but overall it sucked. Badly.

I saw it on Netflix earlier today. I couldn't even finish it all the way. It just kept getting worse as the boring story progressed.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #7550
Rose
good scorer

It was pretty good, really good background information on why the "gangs" pre-dating the Bloods and Crips started. And why people in the area think the Bloods and Crips came to be. You could tell some of the kids actually didn't want the gang life, and which ones did. Talks about the effects of the LA riots, and the failed RLA.

I give it a solid 8.5/10

And I also watched the Deathly Hallows Part 1. good movie, but not great. Left out some stuff that should have been mentioned like why they had to start calling Voldemort by you-know-who again. The stuff I would have added would have taken like 10 extra minutes but whatever. It happens.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #7551
scott0326
National High School Star

American Pie 2; 8/10

I dont know why I like these stupid movies so much.
scott0326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #7552
alenleomessi
W

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0326
American Pie 2; 8/10

I dont know why I like these stupid movies so much.
pretty much every teenager likes them
they are funny, cool, refreshing, some nudity ... and of course STIFLER ....and his mom
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:41 AM   #7553
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Generally I only review stuff that's new. I'll chime in on stuff I've seen before, but I usually won't write a detailed response to something I've seen a bunch of times, because I know I'm giving out that visceral first response.

But I just got in from seeing a big screen showing of a movie I've seen probably half a thousand times. JAWS.

It's gotta be one of the best 25 movies ever made, and personally I'd say better than that. I'd also say it's Spielberg's best work (and this was a double feature tonight with Close Encounters first, followed by Jaws, and I saw both). My apologies to his obvious labor of love, Schindler's List, a brilliant film that stretches him from his comfort zone, and ET, and Saving Private Ryan, which I remember being moved to stillness seeing it opening weekend, Memorial Day, with a buddy, and literally not being able to talk about it as we left the theatre. After seeing that a thousand times, the two battle sequences that bookend the movie, and a some other exceptional sequences, somewhat hide what is a good deal of Spielberg type archetypes that make that movie hokie in spots.

Jaws is nearly perfect. It's so simple. It's really only five characters. A scared mother, a pragmatic noble protective father, a headstrong goodhearted young man, a wise old curmodgen, and the one generally lost is stubborn mayor. That's it really. And they're all spectacular. Every character is rich and layered. The mayor comes off as "the bad guy", but his intentions are noble. He's looking out for the best of the community. He shows his true colors when he's in shell shocked in the hospital. "Martin ... my kids where on that beach too ...".

It's funny. The mother defensive of Micheal in the boat, then looks at the picture in the book and seeing the shark biting the boat and screaming at him "did you hear your father?!?!"

It's stunning to look at in spots. Particularly the third act. All the work in sillohette. It's got those idealistic Spielbergian moments. There's a spot when they're looking out at the barrells go under at night, and a shooting star zings by behind them. But what sometimes comes off as cheesiness feels like genuine wonder in it. It's something that perhaps I've grown to cynical to see in movies, but watching this in a theatre tonight, with kids who'd obviously never seen it before, probably 4th to 7th graders. Some there with their parents, others with a chunk of friends. Laughing at Quint's singing. Ooohing when there was no way he could take three barrells under ... two maybe, but never three.

Part of the reason I'm so partial to it is because, as I've mentioned before, I absolutely adore the USS Indianapolis scene. But I've seen it so many times, I've watched it on youtube, hell ... I acted it out with some buddies at a fourth of July picnic last weekend. But what I'd forgotten is how charming the build up to that scene is. The drunken rollicking is some of the most sincere stuff in the movie, and some of the most funny material. Hooper's broken heart. Chief Brody silently looking down at a scar he won't talk about. Being able to hear an audience of kids laughing at the drunken revelry, particularly Hooper's broken heart, and then all of sudden everyone goes silent as Quint clutches his shoulder, points at the removed tattoo, and says "That ... Mr. Hooper ... is the USS Indianapolis ..." Most kids there didn't know what it was. I know because I heard them talking about it on the way out ... "I wonder if that story is real?" ... but even without knowing, a genuine hush comes down. You can feel the impending dread of the story before it's told.

The special effects still work. If anything the thing that most dates it is the absurd beachware, and the fact that everyone smokes all the time. The mayor is smoking in the hospital for christ's sake.

And another thing maybe I've become a little jaded to, but the score work by John Williams is rediculously good. It's not just the dun-nuh dun-nug dun-nug duh-na-na. The sweeping stuff when the barells are planted is triumphant sounding. I know that if I heard that now I'd bitch about being dictated what to think. But that's what these movies are about.

These old screenings are always tricky, but the thing drew a round of applause when it ended. And it felt genuine.

One of my all time favorite movies.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:41 AM   #7554
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Double Post
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #7555
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

couldnt agree more- jaws=masterpiece. bergs best film
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #7556
DirkNowitzki41
#MFFL

Dear John - 9/10

I watched it like 2 weeks ago and still think of it highly.. great movie

def a movie you watch with your girl

Last edited by DirkNowitzki41 : 07-10-2011 at 06:46 PM.
DirkNowitzki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #7557
The-Legend-24
Keep it tight for me

Transmorphers 0/10

All i got to say about the movie is....
The-Legend-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #7558
DirkNowitzki41
#MFFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Legend-24
Transmorphers 0/10

All i got to say about the movie is....

what the **** is transmorphers?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #7559
The-Legend-24
Keep it tight for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkNowitzki41
what the **** is transmorphers?
They're like cheap ripoffs from the real movie
Look for yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Asylum
The-Legend-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #7560
DirkNowitzki41
#MFFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Legend-24
They're like cheap ripoffs from the real movie
Look for yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Asylum

LOL wtf?

never even knew these existed. i have to check one of these movies out for some laughs
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: