Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-18-2011, 06:07 AM   #7576
Bean
Local High School Star

Bean is a pretty well-respected posterBean is a pretty well-respected posterBean is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

there needs to be a standardized rating system for movies in this thread. i am seeing a lot of different ones like, 7 out of 10, 89%, B+, 2/4(wtf?). it makes gauging the quality of these movies extremely difficult and inconsistent.

rock on.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:28 AM   #7577
ZeN
§

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

the 2/4 made me totally WTF..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #7578
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

magic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
the 2/4 made me totally WTF..

prolly just wanted to do something different
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #7579
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Ebert's review didn't mention that at all.

"Director Terrence Malick's long-awaited film, his first since 2006, shows Pitt as a brutal and strict father, while Penn plays his eldest son as a grown man.

It debuted for the Cannes crowd at a press screening earlier this week, but the movie failed to impress the notoriously tough film critics, with several giving long boos while others handed the film a very short round of applause."
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #7580
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
"Director Terrence Malick's long-awaited film, his first since 2006, shows Pitt as a brutal and strict father, while Penn plays his eldest son as a grown man.

It debuted for the Cannes crowd at a press screening earlier this week, but the movie failed to impress the notoriously tough film critics, with several giving long boos while others handed the film a very short round of applause."

That is not in this

Link?
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #7581
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

it is getting mixed reviews but i think thats a good thing, the negatives are from critics who either dont like the self indulgent style(erm have you ever seen a malick movie?) or are annoyed he didnt turn up at cannes(have you ever heard of terrence malick?)

think it had like 85% last time i checked
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #7582
ImmortalD24
Banned

ImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation here

The Good Shepherd - 7.5/10

Good movie.. but it would've been better off had the story not flipped back and forth in time.
ImmortalD24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #7583
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Bridesmaids 7.5/10
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #7584
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean
there needs to be a standardized rating system for movies in this thread. i am seeing a lot of different ones like, 7 out of 10, 89%, B+, 2/4(wtf?). it makes gauging the quality of these movies extremely difficult and inconsistent.

rock on.

My scale is this: Bad=1, Okay=2, Good=3, Great=4.

There really shouldn't be anything outside of that. I never understood the purpose of a 10 point scale when there shouldn't be any difference between a 6 and a 7 movie, they are both average, or a 9 and a 10 movie, they are both pretty good or great, and what's the point of anything below 5 if it all pretty much means the movie is bad. Either a movie is bad, okay (decent-average), good, or great.

Percentages are just reaching too far to pin down a movie.

Last edited by Loneshot : 05-18-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #7585
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

percentages was used universally for a long while in this thread and then everyone decided to invent their own and hope everyone understood without explanation
Old 05-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #7586
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
percentages was used universally for a long while in this thread and then everyone decided to invent their own and hope everyone understood without explanation

They don't really make sense though. If I rate a movie 12% is that really going to change that it's any less terrible than the movie I rated 10%? They are both terrible so whats the purpose of being so exact about the level of terrible it is. Bad is bad, good is good, and great is great. In fact, maybe I should just drop down to a three point scale...nah because some movies aren't bad but not exactly a must watch.

I think Siskel & Ebert/Roeper have it best. Thumbs up or down. Yes...I think i will go with that scale. Thumbs up or down. It's settled.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #7587
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
They don't really make sense though. If I rate a movie 12% is that really going to change that it's any less terrible than the movie I rated 10%? They are both terrible so whats the purpose of being so exact about the level of terrible it is. Bad is bad, good is good, and great is great. In fact, maybe I should just drop down to a three point scale...nah because some movies aren't bad but not exactly a must watch.

I think Siskel & Ebert/Roeper have it best. Thumbs up or down. Yes...I think i will go with that scale. Thumbs up or down. It's settled.

Most, if not all major newspapers, critics, online review sites use a scale of 0-100. Metacritic and RottenTomatoes being the two most popular. Ebert uses a scale of four, not thumbs up or thumbs down.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #7588
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Quote:
Most, if not all major newspapers, critics, online review sites use a scale of 0-100. Metacritic and RottenTomatoes being the two most popular. Ebert uses a scale of four, not thumbs up or thumbs down.

Popular doesn't mean it makes sense. And the thumbs up/down is referring to the show they have on TV. But anything is better than 0-100 scale. If you need to go beyond the number five to give a rating, then simply write a review with no numerical rating at all.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #7589
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshot
Popular doesn't mean it makes sense. And the thumbs up/down is referring to the show they have on TV. But anything is better than 0-100 scale. If you need to go beyond the number five to give a rating, then simply write a review with no numerical rating at all.

I was really hoping for an IMO at the end of that.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #7590
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Quote:
I was really hoping for an IMO at the end of that.

"IMO" is also very unnecessary to say when sharing one's perspective. It is a given that what a person says is their opinion, so I don't see the point in adding "in my opinion." It's like saying "I'm not racist, but..." or "Not to be rude, but..."

There is too much hot air in the average conversation (online and off) just because people don't know how or are afraid to make the point that they want to.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: