Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-22-2011, 01:18 AM   #7651
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

White noise 2.. 6/10
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:25 AM   #7652
Saintsfan1992
Good High School Starter

Pirates of the Caribbean 8/10
I liked it a Johnny was brilliant
Penelope was hot also.
Saintsfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:07 AM   #7653
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

Pirates3 was a 5.5, complete bore for me, it is more of a chick flick than the previous two which I was actually a fan of.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #7654
BRabbiT

4/5

really interesting. the story isn't exactly true, it seems.

but P.weir's direction is done well.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #7655
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky
I saw that one in the theather a couple of months ago and may very well be the best movie I've seen this year. I loved it. I just looked up my post in this thread and I gave it a 9/10 too. I fell in love with that red haired girl.
I loved everything about it.. Paul Giamatti gave a masterful performance.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #7656
Saintsfan1992
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
Pirates3 was a 5.5, complete bore for me, it is more of a chick flick than the previous two which I was actually a fan of.

How was it a chick flick?????
Saintsfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #7657
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Paul Giamatti is one of the actors who you know is good, It's just that he tends to stick to independents. You kind of want to see him in the mainstream a bit more. He's most known for something he did like 8 years ago when he's done a lot of great shit since.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #7658
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Paul Giamatti is one of the actors who you know is good, It's just that he tends to stick to independents. You kind of want to see him in the mainstream a bit more. He's most known for something he did like 8 years ago when he's done a lot of great shit since.

yes thats called being a real actor. the most mainstream film hes done is what? lady in the water? considered his worst film. he doesnt do tiny productions and hes still a lead in most of his films. id say hes doing things the right way. i always see him him pop up in indie hits.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #7659
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
yes thats called being a real actor. the most mainstream film hes done is what? lady in the water? considered his worst film. he doesnt do tiny productions and hes still a lead in most of his films. id say hes doing things the right way. i always see him him pop up in indie hits.

i wasnt saying he wasnt a good actor, im just saying i wish he was a bit more accessible so that the public would be forced to realize how good he is

and you can still be mainstream and be a good actor
Old 05-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #7660
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Looks like I was right that Tree of Life was doing good at Cannes since it won the Palm d'Or.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #7661
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
i wasnt saying he wasnt a good actor, im just saying i wish he was a bit more accessible so that the public would be forced to realize how good he is

and you can still be mainstream and be a good actor

im not sure how much more mainstream he could be, i mean hes in American films that get cinema releases. hed have to be in some pretty bad films if he wanted more exposure.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #7662
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Looks like I was right that Tree of Life was doing good at Cannes since it won the Palm d'Or.

it unquestionably was met with mixed opinion at the first screening, but it is good to see recent reviews appear to almost exclusively positive
Old 05-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #7663
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Tron Legacy 5/10
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #7664
BrilliantLegacy

I get easily impressed by movies, so I often rate them very high.

Thor - 9/10
The action is freaking amazing I would say. Kind of hope it would be a lot longer. Though it's a lot better than Iron Man 2 in my opinion. Also the guy played Thor did an amazing job.

Rio - 9/10
Might be crazy, but this movie is actually pretty good.

Fast Five - 9/10
I'm not a fan of Fast and Furious though the first one was pretty good. I hated the Tokyo Drift one. It was stupid. So I was forced to watch this movie because all my friends convinced me so. This one got me off my feet. The Rock and Vin Diesel is awesome!

Garbage Caribbeans 4 - 4/10
Shit movie. They should've stopped after the first one. I literally fell asleep. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!
BrilliantLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #7665
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

I stumbled upon a local showing of Hobo With a Shotgun on Friday. Not entirely local, but in New Haven, which is about half an hour, forty minutes from me.
It's a good theatre, a Bow Tie Criterion, and it is the closest to an arthouse near me ... not that Hobo with a Shotgun is arthouse fair ... but it's the only place really that gets much in the way of limited releases. It's got small screens, but they're digital, and the sound is usually good. They do midnight showings Friday and Saturdays of older classics. This weekend was The Wall.

I was torn between this and 13 Assassins, which I also want to see, but this was a light Saturday night, and I felt more in the mood for Hobo killings.

New Haven is in spots a beatifull city by the way. I parked all the way across the city, and walked a couple miles to the theatre. Across the green. The city was filled with Yale grads and their families, some of them in their gowns, trapsing through coble stone streets between the giant elms. If you ever thought about what New England looks like, this what you probably thought of. The streets along the green are filled with Yalee bars and resturants that border on pretentious, but I can't complain too much because they're so goddamned good.

Anyway ... the movie ... I really dug it. It's obviously a satire, of what I'm not 100% sure. It obviously takes place in the 80s, and seems to be an homage of sorts to that era's version of the grindhouse flick. The over the top violent work of guys like John Carpenter, and all the studio headed knockoffs of stuff like that. The music is particularly obvious. It at times reminded me of The Thing (there was a weird red lighting thing), They Live (delapidated overrun city), The Wraith (rediculous local gang), Judgement Night (outsider enters a corrupt locale) and countless other movies from that era. There was also an obvious Tom Cruise circa Risky Business being hinted at by the gang leader's sons. The violence is so absurd as to be comical, and completely in a good way.

Overall, I actually liked it better than Machete, which I also liked for similar reasons, but this for me tried even less to weave a story of consequence, and instead played right into what it was, which is overtly rediculous entertainment.

I'm glad I saw it, and I'd grade it somewhere low to mid 80s for what it is.

On the way out I trapsed back accross New Haven, stopped for dinner at a local place, and by the time I headed back through the green, it was pretty dark, and when I was approached by a hobo for a donation, I felt compelled to give him a fin. The impact of Art.

Hopefully I can get up this week to check out 13 Assassins.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: