Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #8281
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

I lost power with the Hurricane last night, so when it got really dark, I drove a couple towns over where there was a movie theatre still running.

They were showing The Guard, which is a small caper comedy that's been really well reviewed, starring Brandon Gleason (which I know a lot of people love, from In Bruge, and 28 Days Later), and Don Cheadle. Cheadle is the straight laced FBI agent, and Gleason is essentially an off beat irish sargent in a small town in Ireland, who is essentially Archie Bunker.

It was plenty amusing. I don't know if it was the presence of Gleason, but it reminded me in tone of In Bruge. It's got a similar sense of comedy tied into the crime angle. I'd give it a low 80s. It's very verbal, dialogue heavy, and a lot of the comedy is in that dialogue and delivery, so it may be something that ages well on cable, because you'll get more time to digest the script.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #8282
Draz
The People's Choice

Because the concept was a tad confusing but I understood it a bit. Does tha mean I have to limit it? It was a great movie
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #8283
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

Takers 7/10 Entertaining enough heist movie. Hayden Christensen overacted. TI acted like every other rapper who acts.....doesn't really stretch himself too far. Chris Brown did ok. Zoe Saldana was severely underused.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #8284
Lakerlove420
a LAKER & a DODGER fan

Limitless 7.8/10

Not much of a critic.. but I was interested and was enjoying it.
I thought the end sucked.. nothing really happened ..
I guess he/everyone just lived happily ever after

I liked it ok overall...
Lakerlove420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #8285
East_Stone_Ya
Gentleman Desperado

i just finished watching Shoot 'Em Up and i have to say that the movie title says it all, just a lot of shooting throughout the movie...so i rate 6/10

for some reason it reminded me Machete
East_Stone_Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #8286
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
Because the concept was a tad confusing but I understood it a bit. Does tha mean I have to limit it? It was a great movie

Don't mind them. I LOVE your posts, you're the best movie watcher/reviewer this thread has ever seen.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #8287
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Don't mind them. I LOVE your posts, you're the best movie watcher/reviewer this thread has ever seen.

ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #8288
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Dude, Shoot Em Up is great. It's the way you're supposed to make an action flick. Giamatti just hamming it the hell up, Clive Owen carrying a baby through gun fights, railing Monica Bellucci against a door during a gun fight. No seriousness taken.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #8289
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I lost power with the Hurricane last night, so when it got really dark, I drove a couple towns over where there was a movie theatre still running.

They were showing The Guard, which is a small caper comedy that's been really well reviewed, starring Brandon Gleason (which I know a lot of people love, from In Bruge, and 28 Days Later), and Don Cheadle. Cheadle is the straight laced FBI agent, and Gleason is essentially an off beat irish sargent in a small town in Ireland, who is essentially Archie Bunker.

It was plenty amusing. I don't know if it was the presence of Gleason, but it reminded me in tone of In Bruge. It's got a similar sense of comedy tied into the crime angle. I'd give it a low 80s. It's very verbal, dialogue heavy, and a lot of the comedy is in that dialogue and delivery, so it may be something that ages well on cable, because you'll get more time to digest the script.
Yeah, I am looking forward to this movie. Looks right up my alley

Anyways, watched The Beaver yesterday. Really well done movie, humorous, disturbing, touching, and cynical all in one. Some of the HS girl dealing with her dead brother was a little unwieldy, but overall a great cast and delivery. Plus you see jodie fosters sideboob!

boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #8290
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Dude, Shoot Em Up is great. It's the way you're supposed to make an action flick. Giamatti just hamming it the hell up, Clive Owen carrying a baby through gun fights, railing Monica Bellucci against a door during a gun fight. No seriousness taken.
yeah, its a fun if vapid movie. very comic booky.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #8291
Draz
The People's Choice

I'm just glad everyone loves my movie ratings.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #8292
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Alright so Imma start my run down of the documentaries I'm gonna marathon on. Let's begin with:

For the Bible Tells Me So: 5/10- This was a documentary about how Fundamentalists have oppressed homosexuals in the world today. It's an interview based documentary with some pretty good personal stories from it's subjects. And I agree that the discrimination of gays is wrong and needs to stop.

But here's the issue. Documentaries are supposed to discover something or ask a deeper question or something like that. Make you think. This one thought for you. It was heavy handed and didn't cover both sides. I would have disagreed with the other side no doubt, but it had only negative representation. It just seemed to be this long movie telling me how I should feel, almost like an extended PSA. I didn't much like it, oh also, it ran long for me. The subjects weren't interesting enough to keep me in it for that long. Okay next movie:

Exit Through the Gift Shop: 8/10- Okay before everyone jumps on me let me say this: this is a good movie. The concept is brilliant, the street art is very interesting, and the sort of subculture is engaging. And Banksy was right Terry is more interesting than I think all the artists combined.

BUT here's the thing. The first little bit of it was on a lower level than the back half. Terry's filming bits were at times annoying because he's not good with a camera and it drags on a bit. I'm not sure if the first bit could be cut because it gives you a taste of how ridiculous a man Terry is but maybe it could be streamlined. He grates sometimes when he puts the front on and doesn't shine until you start to see into his head, his obsession. Now I know that's likely the intention so that you can peel the layeres and really appreciate the contrast, but when you're not peeking behind the curtains to me he was unbearable to watch. So there were moments where there were gaps where I really disliked watching the film if that makes any sense.

As an aside, some of this street are is brilliant. I mean I have no qualm saying that Banksy is an absolute artistic genius.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #8293
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

More to come in the next few days.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #8294
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
I'm just glad everyone loves my movie ratings.

Keep it up.

pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #8295
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Syriana.

Good not great. Something about it just didn't feel right. 75%.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: