Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #9016
Draz
The People's Choice

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Re-Watched Spiderman 3. The acting sucked. 5/10.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:16 PM   #9017
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

Point Blank (1998) 4/10 Bad action movie that looks like an 80s bad action movie. The plot was lame….escaped cons holed up in a mall with hostages while Mickey Rourke whoops a$$. Mickey Rourke was at his steroidal best in this movie….he might’ve spoken about 100 words. Danny Trejo had no conscience as he just randomly blasts people for no reason. I'll give it a 3 for some decent shoot outs and fight scenes.

Last edited by glidedrxlr22 : 08-31-2011 at 12:20 PM.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #9018
Hittin_Shots
Great college starter

It was pretty good.
Hittin_Shots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:10 AM   #9019
Draz
The People's Choice

Hannibal Rising - 6/10

Very decent movie. The movie loses it's gel on the audience towards the middle/ending - /ending part of the movie. The beginning was great, acting, the sole purpose and story line was just genius. This movie could of been great, but just it lost it's gel like I said. Watching it, it made me kind of said "well, we all know what's going to happen next" type of shit. If he was able to be a monster towards everyone, it would of been good. Not just selective people. It showed he had a weak side sparing the guys children. Movie should of been reviewed and remastered in that way.

Another thing I realized, his "aunt" is also his lover. Which is his uncles wife. At one point it was obvious they had something together. They also didn't show what happened between those two, or the investigator. This makes the final grade around a 6/10, having a very in dept beginning but faded middle and ending.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #9020
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

keep them coming man, more reviews like this in future please, much prefer your longer ones to just the quickies...
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #9021
Draz
The People's Choice

Lol. Srs? :]
Old 09-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #9022
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

why wouldnt i be? i prefer to read longer reviews even if i often dont do them myself.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #9023
Draz
The People's Choice

Lol yeh man. The beginning of the movie had me going like it catches your attention do to it being unusual. It just carried off to be one of those regular pay back type of movies.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #9024
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
Lol. Srs? :]
I surely hope not...
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #9025
dunksby
NBA Superstar

Upon my rewatch of Sin City I have to say the movie is overrated, I had to stop it after 20 minutes. The sceenplay and the narration was just unbearable.
Sin City: 70%
Right after that, I watched LA Confidential after a long time but even though I knew the plot it was smooth and entertaining still.
LA Confidential: 81%
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #9026
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

horrible bosses-

perfectly adequate at imitating the hangover(which had little ambition of its own). characters were no where near as interesting also, dull but acceptable and funny in places.
6/10(barely)
Old 09-02-2011, 02:28 AM   #9027
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Still on my documentary trip. These are really interesting films.

Harvard Beats Yale 29-29: 7/10- I think if I knew more about the ivy league scene this would be higher. Because they compared and contrasted the type of guys who went to Harvard (blue collar backgrounds) to the guys who went to Yale (Rich families with lineages at the school). Nonetheless, this is a good film. Based around the famous (at least I'd heard of it a few times before) Harvard-Yale tie. It was just the players recounting the game itself and their experiences on their teams. Interwoven with some highlights of the game the interviews are great and like most other docs it became less about the subject matter, and more about the subjects themselves.

P.S. Tommy Lee Jones: I neer knew he played college ball. And while at college he roomed with Al Gore. Also a Spurs fan so.

How to Eat Your Watermelon In White Company (And Enjoy It): 8.5/10- Melvin Van Peebles is one of the most interesting subjects I've ever seen in a documentary. I am not aware of his works outside of just knowing their names and a basic understanding of the impact he's had. But this dude has led such an interesting life. And he's such an interesting person. I swear if you don't know about him as a person you will be amazed at what he has accomplished seemingly just non-nonchalantly most the time. His social impact was also interesting, and again it seemed by accident. This man is.... well... just watch this one. I recommend

Alright gents I'm working on two more tonight so if all goes well I'll be back soon.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:26 AM   #9028
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

I got lazy and these movies were both mediocre so I wasn't driven to do this but I'm watching more and I'm on a mission damnit! So...

Letter to the President: 6/10- I was so stoked to see this one. It seemed like it was going to explore why hip hop turned out to be the genre that extended the idea of black genres before it like jazz. But it just turned into a history thing. Which is cool but it was very basic stuff. And it didn't have a direct narrative.

It was cool hearing from all the hip hop voices, but there was no rhyme or reason. It was almost like those History Channel shows where they have all these experts, but it's really jumpy, and often a little shallow (quick plug, The Universe gets pretty into detail). I just felt like I want more from a doc. I was just dissapointed, it seemed like an opportunity missed for a great great movie. Interesting nonetheless.

Tales From the Script: 5/10- Another great idea gone begging. This was advertised as scriptwriters recounting their horror stories. But it was just basically writers laughing about some past experiences that for the most part weren't even that bad, and then giving advice to people trying to get into the biz.

For 104 minutes.

I think it would have made a GREAT documentary if they picked a few writers to go into detail about their worst stories. Like Kevin Smiths Superman story. Haven't seen it? Watch it: Seriously. If they would have done that, just focus on a few with their super horrific stories instead of a mash up of a few stories. I guess if you like the biz and want to know a little bit check it out, otherwise I'd say you could find something else to do with 104 minutes (laaadies).
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:10 AM   #9029
irondarts

Donnie Brasco - 9/10

One of my favorite Mob films ever. Each time I watch it, I have more and more sympathy for Pacino's character (Lucky).
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:15 AM   #9030
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Still on my documentary trip.
In that case, have you ever seen the doc 'Paradise Lost'? I watched it for the first time in many, many years the other night and was completely mind-blown.

If you haven't seen it, get on that ASAP.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: