Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #9016
Draz
The People's Choice

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Tears of the sun - 10/10.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #9017
leopoldstotch
Book 'em Dan'l

Fish Tank

great movie, and solid interpretation on the state of british youth. 10/10. Also the movie closed with the track "Life's a bitch" by Nas.

Nas ft Az - Life's a Bitch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCnqDvvZrcM
leopoldstotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #9018
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopoldstotch
Fish Tank

great movie, and solid interpretation on the state of british youth. 10/10. Also the movie closed with the track "Life's a bitch" by Nas.

I've had a ton of people recommend this to me. Just saw that its streaming on netflix so i'll prob watch it tonight.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #9019
leopoldstotch
Book 'em Dan'l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I've had a ton of people recommend this to me. Just saw that its streaming on netflix so i'll prob watch it tonight.

yeah this is where i watched it.

if you do plan to get interested in the director Andrea Arnold, don't bother with the movie 'Red Road'(also in netflix). Has a very high rating on rotten tomatoes and a solid rating on MetaCritic, so i can officially say the movie is overrated.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #9020
kentatm
NBA Legend

Night Hawks -- B/B-

In this practically forgotten 1981 thriller, Sly Stallone and Billy Dee Williams are NYC cops working for an INTERPOL created task force searching for an international terrorist played by Rutger Hauer in his American film debut. It was originally written as The French Connection III but Gene Hackman did not want to return to the role. Its a fairly gritty film. Hauer is excellent as a psychopathic terrorist and he steals nearly every scene he is in. There is some decent stunt work and Stallone refused to use a double for his action scenes. Billy Dee is great as always. Of note, Lindsy Wagner (the Bionic Woman) is also in the film as Hauer's cold blooded confidant.

Worth watching if you like mid 70s to mid 80s cop films from before they all turned into buddy comedies. Its also currently on NetFlix.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #9021
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

8/10

Pretty much loved everything about this flick with one real exception. The direction was great, the cinematography flawless and very creative (thought the elevator scene with the lighting and the beach scene were standouts), and the acting was minimalist but very effective IMO, felt almost like a silent movie for some stretches. Was the violence a bit gratuitous and excessive? Definitely. But it was fun as hell.

Also loved the soundtrack, gave the film a cool, stylish retro feel.

Only thing stopping me from giving it a 9 was the ending, could've been handled better but it wasn't terrible.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #9022
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Fish Tank

also needs mentioning that this was when fassbender was an unknown(only 2 years ago) hes gonna be one of the alltime greats imo.

Quote:
yeah this is where i watched it.

if you do plan to get interested in the director Andrea Arnold, don't bother with the movie 'Red Road'(also in netflix). Has a very high rating on rotten tomatoes and a solid rating on MetaCritic, so i can officially say the movie is overrated.

red road is also a good film and deserves to be seen.

her latest tho- wuthering heights looks ****ing SUBERB, im thinking her first masterpiece could be on the way. arnold btw is somewhat of a von trier discovery and i can see influences, and also tones of terrence malick about this trailer. epic teaser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoOuB...eature=related
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #9023
leopoldstotch
Book 'em Dan'l

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
also needs mentioning that this was when fassbender was an unknown(only 2 years ago) hes gonna be one of the alltime greats imo.

red road is also a good film and deserves to be seen.

her latest tho- wuthering heights looks ****ing SUBERB, im thinking her first masterpiece could be on the way. arnold btw is somewhat of a von trier discovery and i can see influences, and also tones of terrence malick about this trailer. epic teaser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoOuB...eature=related

I have seen very good things about Wuthering Heights. I have read the book in high school, and if Arnold is able to use the same type of tone and feel as Fish Tank, i think it could be a very good film. Unfortunately we can't judge movies based on trailers.

as for Fassbender, i do agree. this guy is going to be something great the next 2-3 years. I can't wait for his upcoming film Shame by another great up and coming UK director Steve McQueen

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1723811/

sorry no official trailers for this movie.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #9024
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

absoloutly, shame is supposse to be a remarkable performance. he just won in venice for it.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #9025
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

The Fighter

Pretty much your average sports movie. Good performances by most of the cast it it was a compelling story. Not as great as it was hyped up to be tho.

7/10
Old 10-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #9026
prodigyjazz
I brick open layups

Spaceballs 9/10

still cracks me up
prodigyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #9027
NoGunzJustSkillz

The Jerk 10/10. Funniest movie ever.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #9028
qrich
King Heno

Watched a few movies recently so here they is:

Confessions of a Gangster 5.5/10

Decent amount of twists, didn't overdo the action scenes and not very bloody. Thought it was too short and it could have had more to it, but as it stood, was a surprisingly good flick.

Kill The Irishman 6.25/10

An okay portrayal of the life of Danny Greene but a ton was left out. No replay value but was a good one. Hope that when the Kuklinski movie is made, it is more realistic than this was.

Setup 4/10

Waste of money and time. Only reason its a 4 instead of a 1 is because of Bruce Willis portraying a mob boss.

Lucky You 5/10

Okay flick. I've watched it a few times and the poker play in it actually seems somewhat realistic. Enjoyed the small part by Michael Shannon and the cameos from all of the pros.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #9029
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Fish Tank

Really impressive film by Andrea Arnold. You can definitely tell she was influence by the Dogme movement and Lars. Some truly beautiful shots and interesting camera work. Fassbender was great and the female lead was alsoo very good. She had an uncanny resemblance and the same attitude as my brothers ex which was a little strange lol. Very, very good film.

9/10
Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #9030
prodigyjazz
I brick open layups

oh yeah i saw moneyball recently and it's up there with the best baseball movies ever that is for sure. 9.5/10.
prodigyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: