Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #9031
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Upon my rewatch of Sin City I have to say the movie is overrated, I had to stop it after 20 minutes. The sceenplay and the narration was just unbearable.
Sin City: 70%
Right after that, I watched LA Confidential after a long time but even though I knew the plot it was smooth and entertaining still.
LA Confidential: 81%
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #9032
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

horrible bosses-

perfectly adequate at imitating the hangover(which had little ambition of its own). characters were no where near as interesting also, dull but acceptable and funny in places.
6/10(barely)
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:28 AM   #9033
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Still on my documentary trip. These are really interesting films.

Harvard Beats Yale 29-29: 7/10- I think if I knew more about the ivy league scene this would be higher. Because they compared and contrasted the type of guys who went to Harvard (blue collar backgrounds) to the guys who went to Yale (Rich families with lineages at the school). Nonetheless, this is a good film. Based around the famous (at least I'd heard of it a few times before) Harvard-Yale tie. It was just the players recounting the game itself and their experiences on their teams. Interwoven with some highlights of the game the interviews are great and like most other docs it became less about the subject matter, and more about the subjects themselves.

P.S. Tommy Lee Jones: I neer knew he played college ball. And while at college he roomed with Al Gore. Also a Spurs fan so.

How to Eat Your Watermelon In White Company (And Enjoy It): 8.5/10- Melvin Van Peebles is one of the most interesting subjects I've ever seen in a documentary. I am not aware of his works outside of just knowing their names and a basic understanding of the impact he's had. But this dude has led such an interesting life. And he's such an interesting person. I swear if you don't know about him as a person you will be amazed at what he has accomplished seemingly just non-nonchalantly most the time. His social impact was also interesting, and again it seemed by accident. This man is.... well... just watch this one. I recommend

Alright gents I'm working on two more tonight so if all goes well I'll be back soon.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:26 AM   #9034
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

I got lazy and these movies were both mediocre so I wasn't driven to do this but I'm watching more and I'm on a mission damnit! So...

Letter to the President: 6/10- I was so stoked to see this one. It seemed like it was going to explore why hip hop turned out to be the genre that extended the idea of black genres before it like jazz. But it just turned into a history thing. Which is cool but it was very basic stuff. And it didn't have a direct narrative.

It was cool hearing from all the hip hop voices, but there was no rhyme or reason. It was almost like those History Channel shows where they have all these experts, but it's really jumpy, and often a little shallow (quick plug, The Universe gets pretty into detail). I just felt like I want more from a doc. I was just dissapointed, it seemed like an opportunity missed for a great great movie. Interesting nonetheless.

Tales From the Script: 5/10- Another great idea gone begging. This was advertised as scriptwriters recounting their horror stories. But it was just basically writers laughing about some past experiences that for the most part weren't even that bad, and then giving advice to people trying to get into the biz.

For 104 minutes.

I think it would have made a GREAT documentary if they picked a few writers to go into detail about their worst stories. Like Kevin Smiths Superman story. Haven't seen it? Watch it: Seriously. If they would have done that, just focus on a few with their super horrific stories instead of a mash up of a few stories. I guess if you like the biz and want to know a little bit check it out, otherwise I'd say you could find something else to do with 104 minutes (laaadies).
Old 09-03-2011, 05:10 AM   #9035
irondarts

Donnie Brasco - 9/10

One of my favorite Mob films ever. Each time I watch it, I have more and more sympathy for Pacino's character (Lucky).
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:15 AM   #9036
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Still on my documentary trip.
In that case, have you ever seen the doc 'Paradise Lost'? I watched it for the first time in many, many years the other night and was completely mind-blown.

If you haven't seen it, get on that ASAP.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #9037
Draz
Like a Baoss.

The hit list - 1/10
One of the worst movies I've ever seen. This movie had the worst acting, possibly. I felt like I was watching nothing.

The next three days - 7/10
This movie was good. I recommend it. It was all about the husband, setting his wife free from a life sentence in jail. The romance between the two wasn't really shown, or why he loves her so much. I don't understand why she attempts to suicide so much. It was a "decent" movie.
Draz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #9038
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
In that case, have you ever seen the doc 'Paradise Lost'? I watched it for the first time in many, many years the other night and was completely mind-blown.

If you haven't seen it, get on that ASAP.

I have only heard of it and it's on my list to watch.

Just like Exit Through the Gift Shop I had always been like: okay I gotta watch this. I gotta see it. And then I never got around to it.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #9039
bisk

How relevant is 'The World At War' still?
I know it might sound like a retarded question, since it's arguably one the greatest docus of all time, but it's been almost 40 years since its been made, surely there must have been some new information or discoveries in all those years.
bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #9040
Andrei89
#HEATNATION

Kill the Irishman 8/10

he Conspirator 8/10

Both excellent
Andrei89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:35 AM   #9041
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

apollo 18- 1/10

do not see this movie

I can't name a single thing I liked about it
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:53 AM   #9042
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
Donnie Brasco - 9/10

One of my favorite Mob films ever. Each time I watch it, I have more and more sympathy for Pacino's character (Lucky).
Love Donnie Brasco to. Mob movies FTW!
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:02 AM   #9043
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

friends with benefits-
annoyed the shit out of me, the first half was actually about the worst first hal of any film i have seen this year- that includes transformers 3!!!!. kunis and timberlake where both awful and misdirected. niether is decent, niether is likeable, niether have any chracater or screen pressence but what really annoyed me was what the film was going for. it was emptyness once again wrapped up in pseudo cynicism. that knowing irony and cynicism only works if you actually have something to offer, this was on exactly the same level as the films it claimed to be critiquing. ****ing worthless. adding to the shambles, but making it much more palatable where the talent that had somehow been forced into being in this garbage- woody harrelson pops up in fine form as does richard jenkins and patricia clarkson. its like they were just wheeled on to bring some acting and give a sense of credibility to this garbage. this was especially dissapointing to see from director will gluck- who gaves the very solid easy A, which was very enjoyable.
4/10
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #9044
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisk
How relevant is 'The World At War' still?
I know it might sound like a retarded question, since it's arguably one the greatest docus of all time, but it's been almost 40 years since its been made, surely there must have been some new information or discoveries in all those years.
If you are interested in WWII docs, get Ken Burns' "The War."

Mind-blowing and riveting.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:35 AM   #9045
pauk
NBA Legend

An unexplained blackout plunges the city of Detroit into total darkness, and by the time the sun rises, only a few people remain..... surrounded by heaps of empty clothing, abandoned cars and lengthening shadows....

A small handful of strangers that have survived the night each find their way to a rundown bar, whose gasoline-powered generator and stockpile of food and drink make it the last refuge in a deserted city....... With daylight beginning to disappear completely and whispering shadows surrounding the survivors, they soon discover that the enemy is the darkness itself, and only the few remaining light sources can keep them safe. As time begins to run out for them, darkness closes in and they must face the ultimate terror.......

I liked the movie..... but the ending destroyed it from me giving it a high rating...... it gave no answers whatsoever... nothing...

If it had a smart ending that served to answer at least one question, then that could have potentially have made it a good movie.... instead you are left with a huge question mark or question marks.... like everything happened for no reason....

the idea/story was smart but used in a bad way...

RATING - 5.9 out of 10...
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: