Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #9391
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

I've watched Unknown. It's a good movie, I'd give 8.4. I liked that the plot was very strategic-thought provoking, ha ha. Basically you have to think what others know, and what you don't know, and what others don't; then you go second round and think of what others don't know you know, and versa. Plus, it wasn't that predictable in a characters department, and I liked how it left unanswered questions at the end. It may not have been as intense as supposed to, but a very joyful watch, because I felt it avoided common traits of movies that kind.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #9392
Kensta
National High School Star

The Help - 7.0. Good story. Kinda slow for me.
Real Steel - 6.5. Good pop corn movie. Nothing amazing though.
Kensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #9393
Rnbizzle
Banned

Pan's Labyrinth: 7.5/10

Surely this film is original, I don't anything can be compared to it really.. Enjoyed it, what kept it from getting a really high score, for me personally, was the weirdness, at some points the 'wtf-factor' was just a bit too high for me.
Rnbizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #9394
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

Watched The Girl with Dragon Tattoo 2009.
I liked it, could give 8.5/10.

It was ok thriller, not as suspense to me though (as it was about the past), a little too psychopathic and messed for me. Those Swedishes love to go through old files I tell you... I've once read some book (swedish author), the case about murderer/rapist, and how the detective had to go through tourists tapes that were recorded on a cruise to catch him. This is similar... Again, too dark and filled with worthless evil, but a nice thriller. Characters were interesting, although not covered very deeply. That leaves room, I'm fine with that...

Will watch american version soon.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #9395
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
Watched The Girl with Dragon Tattoo 2009.
I liked it, could give 8.5/10.

It was ok thriller, not as suspense to me though (as it was about the past), a little too psychopathic and messed for me. Those Swedishes love to go through old files I tell you... I've once read some book (swedish author), the case about murderer/rapist, and how the detective had to go through tourists tapes that were recorded on a cruise to catch him. This is similar... Again, too dark and filled with worthless evil, but a nice thriller. Characters were interesting, although not covered very deeply. That leaves room, I'm fine with that...

Will watch american version soon.

Come back and let us know which version you like better. I've seen both and thought Fincher's version was superior in every artistic and technical way, with the exception of the actual girl with the dragon tattoo. Thought Noomi Rapace (Original Swedish version) was a better Lisabeth than Rooney Mara, although I never read the book, so just going purely off the films.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #9396
ROCSteady
Top 10, AT LEAST

AMERICAN GANGSTER- 7.9/ 10

This is like the 4th or 5th time I've watched American Gangster in full since it's release in 2008 and I have to say, it didn't resonate with me the way it did previously. I don't know whether to chalk that up to the actual film itself or because it was late and I was baked as a clam.

I'm a big fan of this movie, Ridley Scott, and the acting of Russell Crowe, Josh Brolin and Denzel. When I first saw it in theaters, I remember being mind-blown at some of the themes and uncomfortable truths that were on display regarding the good ol U S of A. Just craziness.

Haven't seen it in a while so while it's still very good and a nice piece on underworld shit during the '60s/'70s, I had to kinda move it down a level of how I previously viewed it. Still highly highly recommended though if you haven't seen it. I guess the staying power wasn't as strong as other movies I consider great

Oh, I watched the Extended Edition and the ending scene is a pile of shit compared to the theatrical version

Last edited by ROCSteady : 01-17-2012 at 09:52 PM.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #9397
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Best part of American Gangster is when he murks Idris Elba in broad daylight.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #9398
AboveTheRim.
I rule the local playground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnbizzle
Pan's Labyrinth: 7.5/10

Surely this film is original, I don't anything can be compared to it really.. Enjoyed it, what kept it from getting a really high score, for me personally, was the weirdness, at some points the 'wtf-factor' was just a bit too high for me.

I really liked it, the artistry of the fantasy world was just beautiful. That scene with the guy with his eyes in his hands (I think his name is the pale man) still gives me chills sometimes.
AboveTheRim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #9399
ROCSteady
Top 10, AT LEAST

Yea that part is wild because his brothers had NO IDEA what he was capable of until witnessing that being that he hadn't spoke to them in years presumably.

Only thing (this is such a minor gripe) that made it a lil corny was the overuse of the '20%' line after homie was leakin on the concrete
Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #9400
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Best part of American Gangster is when he murks Idris Elba in broad daylight.

And he strolls non-nonchalantly back to the breakfast place and his entire family have horrified looks on their faces.

I can't watch Denzel anymore, I'm not sure I ever could. Even Training Day. I just feel like I'm watching Denzel and not the character he's playing.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #9401
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
And he strolls non-nonchalantly back to the breakfast place and his entire family have horrified looks on their faces.

I can't watch Denzel anymore, I'm not sure I ever could. Even Training Day. I just feel like I'm watching Denzel and not the character he's playing.

Yeah, but Denzel is so ****ing cool that I don't care.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #9402
ROCSteady
Top 10, AT LEAST

I know what you mean. He's def a 'movie star' and not a method/character actor.

I will say he's still a good and effective actor but he doesn't let his character consume his persona the way I appreciate in the great ones.

Denzel is still a beast tho and has amazing screen presence and has mastered a lot of physical nuaces in acting
Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #9403
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Yeah, but Denzel is so ****ing cool that I don't care.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #9404
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
I know what you mean. He's def a 'movie star' and not a method/character actor.

I will say he's still a good and effective actor but he doesn't let his character consume his persona the way I appreciate in the great ones.

Denzel is still a beast tho and has amazing screen presence and has mastered a lot of physical nuaces in acting

I don't even think that's it, because I know of a few actors who aren't method that I don't notice that I'm watching the actor.

Could be I just don't like him as an actor. I'm not even sure at this point.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #9405
ROCSteady
Top 10, AT LEAST

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: