Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 02:50 AM   #9676
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 23,841
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Fast Five 7/10 (I hated the original, didn't see any of the other sequels, but this one was entertaining enough. Sort of Mission Impossible + Italian Job)

The Change Up 6.5/10

Lethal Weapon 8/10
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #9677
Kobe Jnr
Banned
 
Kobe Jnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: many places
Posts: 0
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Watched Tower Heist last week. Thought it would be more funny. It was ok though...

6-10
Kobe Jnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #9678
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 23,841
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe Jnr
Watched Tower Heist last week. Thought it would be more funny. It was ok though...

6-10

I hated the abrupt ending, but overall the movie was decent. 6/10 sounds about right.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #9679
Turkododo
High school junior varsity star
 
Turkododo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 580
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

i haven't seen anything lately.
Turkododo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #9680
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty
 
Scholar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Swaggy P's Palace
Posts: 9,679
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkododo
i haven't seen anything lately.

Umm... Thanks for sharing, I guess..?
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #9681
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 21,556
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Adventures of TinTin-7/10
rufuspaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #9682
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,377
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Adventures of TinTin-7/10
I saw this too. Maybe it's because it was my favorite TV show as a kid, but I give it closer to an 80%. It dragged a little bit, but the graphics and animation were phenomenal and it was just a fun movie.

Additionally, I watched Letters from Iwo Jima. Got a package of 35 Clint films for Christmas and am working through that. Very very good, but after seeing The Pacific it sort of pales. I may be one of the few who enjoyed "Flags of our Fathers" moreso than this. Still a solid 80% or so though.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #9683
TheSilentKiller
NBA Legend
 
TheSilentKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 17,551
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
rewatched the dark night

20/10 love it

Movie was way too hyped up for me. I'd give it an 8.5/10
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #9684
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,548
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
I saw this too. Maybe it's because it was my favorite TV show as a kid, but I give it closer to an 80%. It dragged a little bit, but the graphics and animation were phenomenal and it was just a fun movie.

Additionally, I watched Letters from Iwo Jima. Got a package of 35 Clint films for Christmas and am working through that. Very very good, but after seeing The Pacific it sort of pales. I may be one of the few who enjoyed "Flags of our Fathers" moreso than this. Still a solid 80% or so though.



LOTR trilogy: 8/10

Return dragged on sooooo looooooooooooong. Holy shit. I was never interested in this story but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about the finale for about 36 hours after I watched the second. Some of the dialogue [or writing] is very cheesy and I got sick of the homoerotic scenes between Frodo and Sam. Every movie had two scenes where they cried and hugged.

Wolf Creek: 7.5/10

I can't remember if anyone else liked this but I always did. It's my second viewing and I forgot how charismatic the villain is. He makes it seem like being a serial killer and mass murderer is a day-job and he's just a normal bloke at the end of the day.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #9685
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,587
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux


LOTR trilogy: 8/10

Return dragged on sooooo looooooooooooong. Holy shit. I was never interested in this story but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about the finale for about 36 hours after I watched the second. Some of the dialogue [or writing] is very cheesy and I got sick of the homoerotic scenes between Frodo and Sam. Every movie had two scenes where they cried and hugged.

Wolf Creek: 7.5/10

I can't remember if anyone else liked this but I always did. It's my second viewing and I forgot how charismatic the villain is. He makes it seem like being a serial killer and mass murderer is a day-job and he's just a normal bloke at the end of the day.


So you had never seen LOTR before or read the books?

Return of the King absolutely dragged on horribly at the end. And the crime is that it drags on that long, and they just skim over one of my favorite parts in the book, where the Hobbits return to the Shire and Sam becomes like Mayor McCheese, running the ruffians out of town like a big shot, while Frodo just broods exhaustedly and no one ever fully appreciates what he did.

Instead they spent seemingly an hour on that wedding (triumphant celebrations are not a good idea in movies. We experienced it as a viewer, we don't need to see the celebration, they did it in Star Wars episode 1 too and it's one of the worst parts in what is a bad movie). And then they bluster over the symbolic "sailing across the ocean scene", which even in the books I felt like the dwelled on too much.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #9686
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba
 
rufuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 21,556
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
So you had never seen LOTR before or read the books?

Return of the King absolutely dragged on horribly at the end. And the crime is that it drags on that long, and they just skim over one of my favorite parts in the book, where the Hobbits return to the Shire and Sam becomes like Mayor McCheese, running the ruffians out of town like a big shot, while Frodo just broods exhaustedly and no one ever fully appreciates what he did.

Instead they spent seemingly an hour on that wedding (triumphant celebrations are not a good idea in movies. We experienced it as a viewer, we don't need to see the celebration, they did it in Star Wars episode 1 too and it's one of the worst parts in what is a bad movie). And then they bluster over the symbolic "sailing across the ocean scene", which even in the books I felt like the dwelled on too much.

I agree on a lot of those points but up until Frodo confronts Gollum in Mt. Doom it was a pretty killer film. And Fellowship is a masterpiece.
rufuspaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #9687
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner
 
DonDadda59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Killing Fields
Posts: 19,506
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.



Ip Man 2: 4/10

Absolutely ridiculous movie. It's such a shame because I really liked the first one. This was basically Rocky IV with Chinese actors and subtitles. There was so much propaganda in this mess that Goebbels would blush if he saw it. And the most baffling part was that in the beginning of the film, Ip single-handedly and unarmed fought off about 60 guys who were carrying machetes, knives, staffs, etc (not to mention the ridiculous wire-fu table scene)... but then he struggles mightily to fend off one little ole English boxer? They made him seem like the Chinese Neo in the beginning and then he goes life and death with one roid freak? Makes absolutely no sense.

Terrible communist 'western devil'-hating propaganda Rocky IV rip off disguised as a martial arts film and 'biography'.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #9688
bballnoob
Local High School Star
 
bballnoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,870
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
So you had never seen LOTR before or read the books?

Return of the King absolutely dragged on horribly at the end. And the crime is that it drags on that long, and they just skim over one of my favorite parts in the book, where the Hobbits return to the Shire and Sam becomes like Mayor McCheese, running the ruffians out of town like a big shot, while Frodo just broods exhaustedly and no one ever fully appreciates what he did.

Instead they spent seemingly an hour on that wedding (triumphant celebrations are not a good idea in movies. We experienced it as a viewer, we don't need to see the celebration, they did it in Star Wars episode 1 too and it's one of the worst parts in what is a bad movie). And then they bluster over the symbolic "sailing across the ocean scene", which even in the books I felt like the dwelled on too much.

Part of it for me was that the movie peaked emotionally in this scene (fall of Barad Dur)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF8YJ...eature=related

After that, none of the scenes matched that score and the scope of the scene IMO
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #9689
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 28,548
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
So you had never seen LOTR before or read the books?

Return of the King absolutely dragged on horribly at the end. And the crime is that it drags on that long, and they just skim over one of my favorite parts in the book, where the Hobbits return to the Shire and Sam becomes like Mayor McCheese, running the ruffians out of town like a big shot, while Frodo just broods exhaustedly and no one ever fully appreciates what he did.

Instead they spent seemingly an hour on that wedding (triumphant celebrations are not a good idea in movies. We experienced it as a viewer, we don't need to see the celebration, they did it in Star Wars episode 1 too and it's one of the worst parts in what is a bad movie). And then they bluster over the symbolic "sailing across the ocean scene", which even in the books I felt like the dwelled on too much.

I have never read the books or plan to, and I had only previously seen the first movie, the theatrical cut, and bits and pieces of the following two. I watched all three extended cuts last week.

You have to come to expect the long, drawn out grandiose scenes like the wedding and such because that's just the nature of the beast, but not everyone is going to appreciate it. The last 30 minutes of RoTK is basically the celebration, the return to the Shire and Bilbo leaving. That's a long f*cking time to finish a movie.

But in each movie there's 2-3 absolutely epic scenes that you watch and say to yourself: well that's the reason why I watched this movie, for these scenes. As a non-fan of the book and series and what-not, those are the scenes that I was most interested in and boy did they deliver.

I did read up on the differences between the movies and the book and you mentioned Sam fighting off the ruffians, which seemed interesting enough at the time, when I read about it before I watched the movie but there's no way I could have sat through another long scene. It would've made the finale like 80 minutes.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #9690
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Thorpesaurous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,587
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
I agree on a lot of those points but up until Frodo confronts Gollum in Mt. Doom it was a pretty killer film. And Fellowship is a masterpiece.

I'm with you on it being an excellent flick, and bballnoob is right that it crescendo's too early. In fact, you could make the case that the audience is exhausted from Helms Deep and then the battle where she kills the Wring Wraith King even before the Barad Duur.

I agree that Fellowship is the best of the three. It sets the most tone. My favorite scene in all three of the movies is when the Hobbits are hiding behind the tree with the Ring Wraith smelling for them.

I also think that the best part of the books is that first book before anyone really knows who anyone is, and they're still hesitant about following the Stryder.

I also fully admit that I'm skewed in my opinion of the movies based on what I had anticipated seeing from the books. The Wraiths and the Ents were the things I was most interested in seeing the day I found out they were even making the movies.

I feel like I understand the decision not to show Sam's return to the Shire because it would've had to have had some battle elements too it, and they would've seemed too puny after 9 hours of all the other combat we'd already seen.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy