Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #9871
ZeN
Stormblessed

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juges8932
Sherlock Holmes 2- 9/10

Seriously Juges? Why a 9?
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #9872
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN

I'm probably overrating it as I gave the first one an 8, if I recall correctly, lol. IDK, I was a big fan of the first one, love the actors, and was really looking forward to this one and I felt it delivered.

The acting was definitely on point and I liked the casts' chemistry overall. I thought it was pretty clever, both in the script and the actual scenes. The story was interesting and engaging with a nice pace to it. I wasn't left wondering how long the movie was or anything. I actually saw it twice, lol.

Much like the first one, there really just isn't anything that I can think of that would knock this movie down for me. The reason why I don't give it a 10 is because it just doesn't have that all-time movie feel where when you are watching it, you know that this is going to be a great piece of art that is going to be talked about as one of the GOAT movies. I think it was great and they basically utilized all of its potential with the acting and the script, but it isn't a movie that will revolutionize anything about the way movies are done or have a lasting impact on the movie scene, which is why I can't give it a 10, but I still think it was great.
Juges8932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #9873
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juges8932
I'm probably overrating it as I gave the first one an 8, if I recall correctly, lol. IDK, I was a big fan of the first one, love the actors, and was really looking forward to this one and I felt it delivered.

The acting was definitely on point and I liked the casts' chemistry overall. I thought it was pretty clever, both in the script and the actual scenes. The story was interesting and engaging with a nice pace to it. I wasn't left wondering how long the movie was or anything. I actually saw it twice, lol.

Much like the first one, there really just isn't anything that I can think of that would knock this movie down for me. The reason why I don't give it a 10 is because it just doesn't have that all-time movie feel where when you are watching it, you know that this is going to be a great piece of art that is going to be talked about as one of the GOAT movies. I think it was great and they basically utilized all of its potential with the acting and the script, but it isn't a movie that will revolutionize anything about the way movies are done or have a lasting impact on the movie scene, which is why I can't give it a 10, but I still think it was great.
Okay cool I can totally understand what you mean. I also liked the first one, specifically for the reasons you mentioned.. the cast was charming and the style was curiously entertaining.

If this second one is similar to the first Im sure Ill enjoy it as well...
Old 12-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #9874
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Okay cool I can totally understand what you mean. I also liked the first one, specifically for the reasons you mentioned.. the cast was charming and the style was curiously entertaining.

If this second one is similar to the first Im sure Ill enjoy it as well...

Precisely, lol. Yeah, if you liked the first one, no doubt you will like the 2nd.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #9875
Dbrog
Decent college freshman

7/10 Sherlock 2 (maybe even a 6/10)

My problem with it was it essentially turned into a big action flick rather than the first one which had more thriller elements. Also, the slow-mo signature of this series was used too much for my taste. I don't know why but I felt like the characters weren't nearly as interesting this time. Without giving away too much, there is a certain event that happens very early in the movie. I felt it would have been more effective to explore the impact this had on Holmes (basically wasn't covered at all). There were also a couple loose ends that were left open...but those could possibly lead to a sequel (although I doubt they will). Basically, it was still a fun movie, but unlike the first one, I felt like this was a run-of-the-mill action flick (which is fine).

Last edited by Dbrog : 12-23-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Dbrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #9876
Juges8932
Land of Ownst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrog
7/10 Sherlock 2 (maybe even a 6/10)

My problem with it was it essentially turned into a big action flick rather than the first one which had more thriller elements. Also, the slow-mo signature of this series was used too much for my taste. I don't know why but I felt like the characters weren't nearly as interesting this time. Without giving away too much, there is a certain event that happens very early in the movie. I felt it would have been more effective to explore the impact this had on Holmes (basically wasn't covered at all). There were also a couple loose ends that were left open...but those could possibly lead to a sequel (although I doubt they will). Basically, it was still a fun movie, but unlike the first one, I felt like this was a run-of-the-mill action flick (which is fine).

Very true in regards to the bolded. I kind of forgot about it by the end of the movie due to the rest of the movie, but that is def true. Disagree with your overall assessment of it being run-of-the-mill action flick though. I still think it had that clever aspect to it that made it more intellectual and engaging mentally than a typical action flick. I also felt differently about the loose-ends you are talking about (With there only really being one loose end, IMO, albeit a big one, haha)- I feel it was definitely hinting towards a sequel.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #9877
Dbrog
Decent college freshman

Fair enough. I would definitely agree that it is "more intellectual" than most action movies and I can certainly see where someone could rate it very highly due to it's entertainment factor (very entertaining). I stand my original review though, but who knows, maybe if I saw it again I would think differently
Old 12-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #9878
Dbrog
Decent college freshman

Tree of Life 4/10 (caution: Potential Spoilers)

This was talked about a few pages ago and it seemed like people either loved it or hated it. I,however, was in-between. This is probably one of the prettiest films ever made…unfortunately, it was just for the sake of being artsy. Film is about the decline into darkness of a kid with a great but religious mom and an abusive father (Brad Pitt) who was trying to “teach his kid how to be his own boss.” You won’t know this until you are halfway into the movie since it’s slow. I felt like there was an underlying sense that the kid was molesting or at least having romantic feelings for his brother (this was likely substitution since he in actuality wanted to be romantic with his mom). Shows a lot of perspective and is deep in that sense.

Also discusses God vs Nature and touches on subject of death. Overall, not very effective since too much focus on art. Much too long on the scenes showing how world began and how the kids life began. Honestly, not sure if I can even call this a movie (original != good)…it was that poorly executed. Also, don’t feel anything for any of the characters which is the point since the movie is all about the idea. However, that’s really ineffective and creates shallow movie w/ deep idea. Ultimately, I felt like Tree of Life was just a smaller scale, narrowly-focused movie that felt like a poor-man's 2001: Space Odyssey. That's just my opinion obviously...
Old 12-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #9879
Kobr
Bryant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan
That rape scene is possibly the most disturbing scene in any movie I've ever watched. They left nothing to the imagination.

I had a raging boner during that seen... but that's okay because it's Monica Bellucci and my mind knows it's fake.

Kobr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #9880
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Magnolia: 8/10

A whopping 188 minutes, I honestly had to take a break about 140 minutes in. A better, slightly pretentious version of Crash. Anderson says this is the best film he'll ever make. Funny how he used almost the entire cast of Boogie Nights for this. He loves John C. Reilly and Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Contagion: 7/10
Moneyball: 8/10

Can't remember if I rated those yet or not.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #9881
Hotlantadude81
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN

The first one sucked ass. It's was boring as shit. It was like some sort of half ass detective movie mixed with a half assed action movie. Really dumb. Sucked ass. Will not watch the 2nd one.
Hotlantadude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #9882
Hotlantadude81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
You had never seen Boogie Nights before? Holy bejesus.

Classic.

'How much ya squat?'

There are some amazing outtakes, too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgB0TrYLMM8

Of all the films I've seen and have... I own this and haven't ever watched it either.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #9883
Hotlantadude81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Public Enemies - 6.2/10

I like this one the more I watch it... Hated it when I saw it at the movies though. Marion is hot though.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #9884
schyza
High School Starter

Ernie gives a stellar performance -- and proves that Sesame Street still has what it takes to stir audiences, both young and old. Pretty much a Broadway-quality revue, this DVD holds entertainment promise for the whole family AND teaches the young ones how to count. WHAT FUN!

Ha-Ha life of a dad
schyza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:50 AM   #9885
ZeN
Stormblessed

Mission Impossible 4 - 8.2/10
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: