Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #9991
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux

LOTR trilogy: 8/10

Return dragged on sooooo looooooooooooong. Holy shit. I was never interested in this story but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about the finale for about 36 hours after I watched the second. Some of the dialogue [or writing] is very cheesy and I got sick of the homoerotic scenes between Frodo and Sam. Every movie had two scenes where they cried and hugged.

Wolf Creek: 7.5/10

I can't remember if anyone else liked this but I always did. It's my second viewing and I forgot how charismatic the villain is. He makes it seem like being a serial killer and mass murderer is a day-job and he's just a normal bloke at the end of the day.

So you had never seen LOTR before or read the books?

Return of the King absolutely dragged on horribly at the end. And the crime is that it drags on that long, and they just skim over one of my favorite parts in the book, where the Hobbits return to the Shire and Sam becomes like Mayor McCheese, running the ruffians out of town like a big shot, while Frodo just broods exhaustedly and no one ever fully appreciates what he did.

Instead they spent seemingly an hour on that wedding (triumphant celebrations are not a good idea in movies. We experienced it as a viewer, we don't need to see the celebration, they did it in Star Wars episode 1 too and it's one of the worst parts in what is a bad movie). And then they bluster over the symbolic "sailing across the ocean scene", which even in the books I felt like the dwelled on too much.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #9992
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous

Return of the King absolutely dragged on horribly at the end. And the crime is that it drags on that long, and they just skim over one of my favorite parts in the book, where the Hobbits return to the Shire and Sam becomes like Mayor McCheese, running the ruffians out of town like a big shot, while Frodo just broods exhaustedly and no one ever fully appreciates what he did.

Instead they spent seemingly an hour on that wedding (triumphant celebrations are not a good idea in movies. We experienced it as a viewer, we don't need to see the celebration, they did it in Star Wars episode 1 too and it's one of the worst parts in what is a bad movie). And then they bluster over the symbolic "sailing across the ocean scene", which even in the books I felt like the dwelled on too much.

I agree on a lot of those points but up until Frodo confronts Gollum in Mt. Doom it was a pretty killer film. And Fellowship is a masterpiece.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #9993
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ip Man 2: 4/10

Absolutely ridiculous movie. It's such a shame because I really liked the first one. This was basically Rocky IV with Chinese actors and subtitles. There was so much propaganda in this mess that Goebbels would blush if he saw it. And the most baffling part was that in the beginning of the film, Ip single-handedly and unarmed fought off about 60 guys who were carrying machetes, knives, staffs, etc (not to mention the ridiculous wire-fu table scene)... but then he struggles mightily to fend off one little ole English boxer? They made him seem like the Chinese Neo in the beginning and then he goes life and death with one roid freak? Makes absolutely no sense.

Terrible communist 'western devil'-hating propaganda Rocky IV rip off disguised as a martial arts film and 'biography'.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #9994
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

Part of it for me was that the movie peaked emotionally in this scene (fall of Barad Dur)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF8YJ...eature=related

After that, none of the scenes matched that score and the scope of the scene IMO
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #9995
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

I have never read the books or plan to, and I had only previously seen the first movie, the theatrical cut, and bits and pieces of the following two. I watched all three extended cuts last week.

You have to come to expect the long, drawn out grandiose scenes like the wedding and such because that's just the nature of the beast, but not everyone is going to appreciate it. The last 30 minutes of RoTK is basically the celebration, the return to the Shire and Bilbo leaving. That's a long f*cking time to finish a movie.

But in each movie there's 2-3 absolutely epic scenes that you watch and say to yourself: well that's the reason why I watched this movie, for these scenes. As a non-fan of the book and series and what-not, those are the scenes that I was most interested in and boy did they deliver.

I did read up on the differences between the movies and the book and you mentioned Sam fighting off the ruffians, which seemed interesting enough at the time, when I read about it before I watched the movie but there's no way I could have sat through another long scene. It would've made the finale like 80 minutes.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #9996
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
I agree on a lot of those points but up until Frodo confronts Gollum in Mt. Doom it was a pretty killer film. And Fellowship is a masterpiece.

I'm with you on it being an excellent flick, and bballnoob is right that it crescendo's too early. In fact, you could make the case that the audience is exhausted from Helms Deep and then the battle where she kills the Wring Wraith King even before the Barad Duur.

I agree that Fellowship is the best of the three. It sets the most tone. My favorite scene in all three of the movies is when the Hobbits are hiding behind the tree with the Ring Wraith smelling for them.

I also think that the best part of the books is that first book before anyone really knows who anyone is, and they're still hesitant about following the Stryder.

I also fully admit that I'm skewed in my opinion of the movies based on what I had anticipated seeing from the books. The Wraiths and the Ents were the things I was most interested in seeing the day I found out they were even making the movies.

I feel like I understand the decision not to show Sam's return to the Shire because it would've had to have had some battle elements too it, and they would've seemed too puny after 9 hours of all the other combat we'd already seen.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #9997
ZeN
§

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The New Guy - 7/10
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #9998
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAWN
book of eli - 4/10

my thoughts after wasting time watching this: "what the ****, seriously..?" gave it an extra point cause of mila kunis looking hot. i couldn't really get into the story line, and the little twist was not believable in my eyes.

I'm thinking i must have missed something right?

Yes, it obviously wasn't for you. There was a clear message in it from the twist and why the story wouldn't be believable from a logical perspective.

You most def missed the point of the whole movie
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #9999
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59

Ip Man 2: 4/10

Absolutely ridiculous movie. It's such a shame because I really liked the first one. This was basically Rocky IV with Chinese actors and subtitles. There was so much propaganda in this mess that Goebbels would blush if he saw it. And the most baffling part was that in the beginning of the film, Ip single-handedly and unarmed fought off about 60 guys who were carrying machetes, knives, staffs, etc (not to mention the ridiculous wire-fu table scene)... but then he struggles mightily to fend off one little ole English boxer? They made him seem like the Chinese Neo in the beginning and then he goes life and death with one roid freak? Makes absolutely no sense.

Terrible communist 'western devil'-hating propaganda Rocky IV rip off disguised as a martial arts film and 'biography'.

Grandparents watched this a few weeks ago and they praised this movie it was so stupid.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #10000
heyhey
stay mad golden state

heyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I agree that Fellowship is the best of the three. It sets the most tone. My favorite scene in all three of the movies is when the Hobbits are hiding behind the tree with the Ring Wraith smelling for them.

My favorite film of the three was Two Towers but I think that's because I'm quite unfamiliar with the novels and I think Two Towers has the most conventional story telling of the three movies.

I recently saw Troy: Director's cut version. I think I saw the theatrical version before and it was meh. But director's cut actually is quite a bit better because of the uncut portion of the sacking of Troy which is quite barbaric and brutal and that hits the emotional note of the ending much more effectively.

I don't like Pitt's portrayal of Achilles in the movie tho. Achilles is suppose to be the prettiest of the greek warriors and Pitt plays him like a muscled up WWE wrestler

EDIt* I wish they followed the oral traditions more with the fate of the Trojan characters but i guess that would have been too tragic for a modern blockbuster

Last edited by heyhey : 01-03-2012 at 07:18 PM.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #10001
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

No one will ever truly capture the greatness of Achilles on film. The dude is too mythical for a human and he'd look terrible as a CG character.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #10002
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Two Towers was my favorite book, and the Ents my favorite creature in the whole trilogy. I was underwhelmed by them in the movie, they seemed so much more incredible in the books, but they're still awesome.

Agreed on Fellowship being the best movie though.

Ian McKellen did an incredible job as Gandalf, and was my favorite character in the movies.
ProfessorMurder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #10003
AboveTheRim.
Great young streetballer

AboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this board

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil 8.5/10

Very funny parody of backwoods killer/horror movies. If you're a fan of horror movies, this is a must watch, on par (or ahead of) shaun of the dead IMO.

The lead chick is also gorgeous.
AboveTheRim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #10004
AboveTheRim.
Great young streetballer

AboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
The Two Towers was my favorite book, and the Ents my favorite creature in the whole trilogy. I was underwhelmed by them in the movie, they seemed so much more incredible in the books, but they're still awesome.

Agreed on Fellowship being the best movie though.

Ian McKellen did an incredible job as Gandalf, and was my favorite character in the movies.

I became a huge fan of him from his role in LOTR, he just plays Gandalf so well, and hes the main reason I'm super excited for The Hobbit.
AboveTheRim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #10005
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Ian McKellen was featured in two massive franchises this past decade: LOTR and X-Men, total about 3.1 billion on box office sales. And he'll be in the Hobbit[s] which will surely crack 1 billion total.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: